• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Thief (1981) - I am very disappointed after hearing all the good stuff forever about this film . The pacing was horrible and the plot was mediocre , an empty exercise in style by Michael Mann . Only a couple of scenes stood out along with the cinematography

4/10

Thief (1981) - I am very disappointed after hearing all the good stuff forever about this film . The pacing was horrible and the plot was mediocre , an empty exercise in style by Michael Mann . Only a couple of scenes stood out along with the cinematography

4/10
Oh man, I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I love that movie. Haven’t watched it in years but I’m now inspired to do so. I probably enjoy Heat most, but I wouldn’t argue with someone who said Thief is Mann’s best work.

Bionicle 2: Legends Of Metru Nui - I have no idea what I just watched. Couldn't possibly tell you the names of the characters or what the plot is about. It was great. The early 2000s straight to video cgi is dated but has a certain charm. My coworker convinced me to check out these Bionicle movies, I opted for the chronological fanedit on youtube which starts with this second film, will watch the rest tomorrow. It's weird how everything goes over my head yet I'm not at all turned off. I might have to check out some of the books to better understand the lore.

Just watched the first part (up to the intermission) of Lawrence of Arabia. Did not enjoy. Won't be watching the second. The sound mix was crap too. Music too loud, dialog too quiet. The movie was like 20% travel montage and there honestly just wasn't much going on. I got something out of the road to Aqaba but after that it just kept going when I wanted it to be over with. I was gonna watch the second part tomorrow but now I don't think I ever will.

It's weird how everything goes over my head yet I'm not at all turned off. I might have to check out some of the books to better understand the lore.
Bionicle has great lore but the movies are hot garbage. I also gave the comics a try once and they bored me to tears. I'm pretty sure the game are crap too, but my experience with them is far more limited. It's frustrating to have such a fantastic setting squandered every time.

Oh man, I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I love that movie. Haven’t watched it in years but I’m now inspired to do so. I probably enjoy Heat most, but I wouldn’t argue with someone who said Thief is Mann’s best work.
It's a 'vibes' movie , i get it . but sitting through it was a chore that nearly lulled me into sleep

You know on second thought I might watch part 2 tonight. Part 1 wasn't awful, it just outstayed its welcome.

Asteroid City: Wes Anderson has gone too far. Style over substance. I did not feel the same way about his previous films that I've seen, I usually love them.

I also watched most of the Roald Dahl Wes Anderson short films, and in those, the style has consumed the substance. To the detriment of the stories.

Okay, I watched part 2 of Larry Araby. More of the same. Pretty boring. Overall I think the first hour or two of the movie is the best part, up until they get to Aqaba. The rest just wasn't interesting. This feels like the cinematic equivalent of a boring hundred year old book they make you read in high school. Actually, most of the books I was made to read in high school weren't this dull. I did start reading Lord of the Rings at the time for pleasure and pleasure it was not. That was dull.

Anyway, I just spent the past two days playing Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and watching Lawrence of Arabia in what has to be the strangest double bill known to man short of malformed platypus. I have no intention of ever watching Lawrence of Arabia ever again but at least Kirby was fun. I got 100% and everything. Short game.

The Conjuring (2013)
Finally succumbed to the cultural onslaught that is this little Horror universe, and it's worse than I thought it might be. Not just a dumb jump-scare style Horror flick as I feared, but actually full-on Christian propaganda framing the Warrens as literal superpowered heroes saving nice whitebread families from their mistakes not following the Lord's path (instead of the oily con artists the real Warrens were).

Repulsion (1965)
Felt very much to me like Polanski's dry run for Rosemary's Baby. This one is also very slow with a long buildup; has more creative/surreal visuals along the way, but also worse acting and pretty unlikeable characters.

Magic (!978) - dark drama about a ventriloquist that turns into a full blown crime thriller in 2nd half. The performances are good along with some tense sequences as well as well written characters with depth and personality. The ending was decent as well

Surprisingly for an old thriller it kept me engaged the whole time . Underrated gem that's worth watching

7.5/10

(P.S: Gene Siskel put this in his top 10 films list for 1978 )

Last edited:
Finally watched Get Out. Very good, very tense. Pretty scary at times.

The Nice Guys - Very good, very funny. Really well written detective case.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves​

This film was an utter surprise, my expectations were rock bottom, I thought it would be passable at best, but, instead I got one of the best blockbusters I have seen in years.

The Legend Of Hercules (2014) man this was a bad film, but at least it was more faithful then Hercules (2014) still the Disney adaptation is the best.

Finally watched Get Out. Very good, very tense. Pretty scary at times.
I recommend Nope, which is, in my opinion, at least as good as Get Out. 'Us' is still somewhere on my queue list but so far Jordan Peele does not disappoint!

The Legend Of Hercules (2014) man this was a bad film, but at least it was more faithful then Hercules (2014) still the Disney adaptation is the best.
Oh, I think you are forgetting the best and most "faithful" of all Hercules movies...
hercules_poster.jpg

Phantasm II (1988)
Watched the original for the first time last year, and this for the first time now; I'd say the move into cheesy Action-Horror was a good one. Coolest car, gun, and enemy death weapons, all of which were underused. Still fun, though.

Pulse (2001)
The original Japanese film about dead people invading the world of the living through the internet. For some people, this created a creepy atmosphere, but for me it was mostly as ridiculous as the concept sounds while typing it out. It tried hard to be the next big Ring, but they can't all be The Ring.

Freeway (1996)

Wild and twisted indie re-telling Little Red Riding Hood from a dark, modern perspective. Possibly Reese Witherspoon's best performance ever? Not as gleefully shocking anymore and gives too much credit to the cops, but most of this still holds up.

Eraserhead (1977)

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who love David Lynch and those who don't. I love David Lynch, and I love this movie. For me, you don't think in a David Lynch film. You feel. And I felt a lot while watching this one. It is a dark, haunting, and disturbing experience, but I wouldn't have it any other way with this movie.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Moving on to something completely different, I had high expectations for this one due to the long list of then-unknown cast and crew members, and the fact that my new roommate and his friends have actually been to one of the shooting locations of the film. I'm sorry to say that my experience ranged from "okay" to "eh..." I will say that the film got better as it went along, but I liked a lot of the serious parts more than the funnier parts, which probably isn't a good sign. There were too many storylines to pay attention to, and it became hard for me to care about what was going on. And I may get labelled as a prude for saying this, but I thought the evil Dr. Hand was actually in the right, even if he was being an asshole. If this movie was one of the inspirations for the "Homer Goes to College" episode of The Simpsons, it wouldn't surprise me.

Phantasm II (1988)
Watched the original for the first time last year, and this for the first time now; I'd say the move into cheesy Action-Horror was a good one. Coolest car, gun, and enemy death weapons, all of which were underused. Still fun, though.

Pulse (2001)
The original Japanese film about dead people invading the world of the living through the internet. For some people, this created a creepy atmosphere, but for me it was mostly as ridiculous as the concept sounds while typing it out. It tried hard to be the next big Ring, but they can't all be The Ring.

Freeway (1996)

Wild and twisted indie re-telling Little Red Riding Hood from a dark, modern perspective. Possibly Reese Witherspoon's best performance ever? Not as gleefully shocking anymore and gives too much credit to the cops, but most of this still holds up.
Freeway sounds interesting , never heard of it . will check it out

Back
Top Bottom