• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

I saw Hitchcock's Vertigo for the first time this week. I knew about it because of the famous staircase shot, but only recently got the motivation to watch it. it's pretty good, but I'm still not sure about one thing. watch out for 65 year-old spoiler

Is Kim Novak's character always the decoy? or does she actually play the real wife at first, then the decoy? or maybe it's open to interpretation?

I felt like this movie could have taken a turn for the paranormal at first and so I got easily confused by that married guy's story.

I saw Hitchcock's Vertigo for the first time this week. I knew about it because of the famous staircase shot, but only recently got the motivation to watch it. it's pretty good, but I'm still not sure about one thing. watch out for 65 year-old spoiler

Is Kim Novak's character always the decoy? or does she actually play the real wife at first, then the decoy? or maybe it's open to interpretation?

I felt like this movie could have taken a turn for the paranormal at first and so I got easily confused by that married guy's story.

As Vertigo is one of my top 5 favorite movies, the answer is that Mr. Elster made up the whole ghost possession story to mislead Scottie, and he succeeded. Therefore, the Madeleine that Scottie got to see was always the decoy. She was acting out a performance. The only time we see the real Madeleine is in Judy's flashback when she was already dead (How the real Madeleine died is never revealed, but I'm guessing she was strangled before the destination to the church). Mr. Elster's story is intentionally confusing, mainly because it was a lie, and he was the killer the whole time.

Expend4bles - Well, say what you want, for me this is the first (and unfortunately the last) good sequel in this series. It is simply everything I expected from the sequel to Ex1 and what the previous sequels failed to deliver. The pace is good, the action is nice, there is a lot of it (unlike in Ex2) but it is not boring like in Ex3 and it is filmed with appropriate verve. The effects are not good, but I expected the worst in this respect. It's a pity they didn't have Banderas but the guy who plays his character's son was also cool, in fact 50 Cent is the most bland of the entire cast - seriously, they couldn't have gotten Snipes? There's not much of Dolph again and he acts as comic relief, but there's more of him than last time and he's funnier. The plot twists are quite predictable, the plot is trivial, but it's FUN. At last.

Ex1 - 10/10
Ex2 - 5/10
Ex3 - 5/10
Ex4 - 7... let's make it 8/10

Willow Creek - The last non-documentary film from Bobcat Goldthwait, and my least favorite. It's not bad, and I genuinely enjoyed learning about the culture around bigfoot. It doesn't really try to be horror until the last 20 minutes or so, and at that point it just becomes any typical found footage in the woods movie. There's one shot that felt like 10+ minutes straight, and that was neat, and I liked the shot of the camera dragged through the grass. I honestly don't know what I expected from this movie, but it just doesn't stand out like the director's other works.

Dracula (1931) - For October, I'm going to attempt to watch a classic Universal monster film every day. Today was of course Dracula, the only one I've already seen in the past. I watched it with the Philip Glass score, which was simply phenominal, it was effectively tense and atmospheric. Man this movie is just real good, I don't know what to say about it. Why does Renfield here remind me of Crispin Glover?

Scream (2022)
This #5 in the series blatantly (and repeatedly) tells audiences it's a requel (look it up, kids) and justifies it by implying that the previous requel, Scream 4, was hated by fans and so they're calling a do-over. And so this film occupies the odd raison d'etre of being literally powered by supposed "toxic fans" and yet also itself crapping on toxic fans and yet also being made by 2 writers and 2 directors that between the 4 of them are obviously big Horror fans. If that sounds overwritten and underthought, it's because the movie is.

The Babysitter (2017)
In a plot twist I never saw coming, the classic meta-aware Horror entry let me down whereas the meta-aware film by McG was a delightful surprise?! Great development and 'chemistry' for the two leads combined with the film's sense of playfulness, humor, and playing with expectations led to me thoroughly enjoying this.

Duell am Abgrund (Race to the Summit). New documentary on the speed alpinism competition between Swiss climbers Ueli Steck and Dani Arnold. I’m not generally a fan of speed records as that sort of competition isn’t what I find appealing about alpinism. But this was entertaining enough for me, if not exceptional. I’m not sure it would hold much interest for those not interested in the sport.

If... (1968)

Good, but could've been better. Malcolm McDowell's performance is the biggest highlight of the film, along with the combination of color and black and white cinematography. If it hadn't been for the sluggish first half and the far too abrupt ending, this would've been sublime.

They Live By Night (1948)

I like doomed romances way more than traditional romances, probably because they feel more plausible and real than most of today's sugar-coated rom-coms. And this doomed romance/film noir succeeded in giving me that immersion I hoped for. The performances were excellent, and the film noir cinematography did a great job with the atmosphere. Not a bad start for the future director of Rebel Without a Cause.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 - My coworker wanted to see this and didn't have anyone to go with. I thought it would be really funny for me to watch it without watching the first two. Neither of us thought the movie was really good. I think I laughed maybe once? Nothing especially bad, just not good.

Sharkboy and Lavagirl is very colorful but ultimately relatively boring. Everything's super on-the-nose, which I guess makes sense for the target audience, but I'm not the target audience. My dad described as having zero artistic value whatsoever, which I'd say is a bit harsh given it has a distinct personal touch, especially with one guy as writer, director, and editor, but I do see his point.

Arnold (2023)
Basically a 3-hour documentary but it divides neatly into 3 chapters so Netflix graciously just broke it up and released it that way. You could easily think this is yet another of their Originals that has a famous subject and is just ...fine. But Arnold has had such a crazy life and the doc has such a good sense of fun and humor that even people who don't know/care much about him are likely to find this highly engaging.

The Creator (2023)
Run, don't walk, to your nearest cinema with amazing sound and catch this production spectacle the way it was meant to be seen. Some people have lashed back at the story for being a mix-and-match of well-established Sci-Fi ideas, but I loved seeing a film where America uses a tragic incident to justify slaughtering innocent beings all over the world because #neveragain. This is bold filmmaking.

Lights Out (2016)
I wish I liked the characters more, but the idea is excellent & I would watch it again.

Talk to Me (2023)
Underwhelming & disappointing.

Carrie (1976)
I can imagine seeing this Stephen King classic in the theater back in the day, and what a wild ride it would've been! Unfortunately, there are many, many aspects of this that do not play well for a modern audience that knows what they know. I feel like it's ripe for a remake but apparently that happened and people hated it?

Open Windows (2014)
The rare film that should be watched on a laptop, this complex, wild swing of a Thriller from the writer/director of Time Crimes plays out almost entirely through feeds you are watching on a laptop. Sasha Grey surprisingly comes out of this with a more believable performance than Elijah Wood? The film basically posits hackers as real life superheroes, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Cursed (2005)
Follow-up from the Scream Team (TM) that apparently chased that fame so hard that they rewrote and refilmed this until it barely made sense anymore. Bad CG and a whole lot of cheese still don't ruin this pretty fun brother/sister werewolf story.

Boogie Nights - I've always heard good things about this, and yeah it's really good. Early on I found myself thinking back to Showgirls, both films being about adult entertainment industries, but they're obviously very different. Mark Wahlberg can actually act decently apparently. There were a few scenes near the end that were genuinely tense. I just have stray thoughts, no proper review. I need to watch more films by PTA.

Mark Wahlberg can actually act decently apparently.
Can Marky Mark actually act or was he cast because he basically is Dirk? One could lose sleep thinking about it.

giphy.gif

Can Marky Mark actually act or was he cast because he basically is Dirk?
This evergreen topic came up just last night on a podcast I was listening to, where essentially they were talking about "actors" versus "movie stars".
I don't want to use that terminology as I think it can sound dismissive, but how I put it is that movies typically have actors who attack the roles in two different ways:

1. Charm offensives: these actors have honed in on the aspects of themselves that audiences connect with. They are very good at playing that up on film, mostly playing versions of themselves as they experience different emotions. See: Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Mark Wahlberg, etc.

2. Espionage: these actors do their research and sink into a character. They are very good at becoming whatever they need to be for the master plan, sometimes leading them to be overlooked. They can be the element that delivers the killing blow, or the one that plays their part but the mission (film) fails because they aren't given the right orders. See: Gary Oldman, Johnny Depp, Daniel Day Lewis, etc.

Most movies benefit from having both types of actors. If all your actors are spies, the film sometimes doesn't have enough flash...it really requires masterful writing and direction to keep it gripping for a wide audience. If all your actors are trying to launch charm offensives, the film usually doesn't feel like it has enough room to breathe. There's no space for narrative and clever direction because everyone's competing for screentime.

Boogie Nights is a great film because it has actors of both types and it knows how to use them very well. Wahlberg's particular blend of "gee shucks" mixed with some darkness is perfect for the role, and he bounces well off other charm offensives like Reynolds and Reilly. Then you've got spies like Moore and Hoffman gluing the movie together by being exactly what they need to be for that part. PTA really has a kind of genius for casting.

The Flash
Would have been fine, but it's pretty cringe because Ezra Miller is now known to be an a-hole to put it lightly. Hard to watch more than one of them (a main plot point is they play multiple versions of the character for most of the run time), though the film gets considerably more watchable when other characters are involved.

They Cloned Tyrone
This was so good I have a hard time believing it was originally intended to premiere on Netflix. It was tense, it was fun, it went all in on the concept, can't ask for more.

Saw X (2023)

I'm not familiar with the Saw franchise beyond the first movie, but my roommate is and gave me a ticket. I'm happy to say we both liked this. The only downside is that I wanted the villain's outcome at the end to be way more severe than what happened. Other than that, the movie worked for what it was. I felt bad for Jigsaw and I wanted him to get his revenge, and a couple of the kills made me squirm in the right way. Don't know what the fans are looking for, but as a casual observer, I thought it was good.

Legend (The Return of Darkness fanedit)
A movie that kids of the '80s will remember for too-scary visuals and maybe the score by Tangerine Dream, thinking it's incredibly dated. This excellent fanedit combines footage from 3 cuts to show that it's a great dark fantasy Faerie tale that is simply iconic and absolutely holds up.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Hadn't seen this since I was a kid, but it gave me stranger-danger trauma back then that I think I'll never truly overcome. After watching the original film last year, I revisited this one and caught the references that make this a near sequel. A little more of a general '70s conspiracy thriller than the pure Sci-Fi Horror of the first film, which is even better for me.

Foxcatcher (2014)
For me, an underwhelming, Oscar-baity kind of film that has a lot of gravitas but a weak script. There's no real insight into the true events here, and important points are left out or totally fictionalized. I'd have to say this is well-directed and acted but a pass.

Back
Top Bottom