• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: There and Back Again, Part 1

I am producing my own edits of AUJ (both a purists version and a less silly version, so to speak). I would love to hear how you handled a couple of things (having not seen your version and being paranoid about downloading from torrent sites).
1. How did you cut the white council scene and yet address Gandalf not accompanying the dwarves as they leave Rivendell? Did you retain his meeting with Galadriel, perhaps?
2. Cutting apart the final showdown with the wargs, pale orc, and eagles, how did you deal with the cuts to the music track? This is my biggest obstacle; I want to make it look like Thorin falls out of the tree (thus explaining his unconsciousness), but the rupture to the soundtrack is problematic. It wouldn't be so bad if I could isolate the sound effects, but even in 5.1 the sound FX are accompanied by music.

Looking forward to reading your answers!

I cannot download part one or the rar..says file not found....also any chance of this in HD ?

I gave my feedback to Menbailee, and he suggested (rightly so) that I shared my view with everyone. I do it gladly, here is what I have to say about his cut :

-Y- said:
I've just finished watching your version of The Hobbit, and the first thing that comes to me is a very big thank you ! Indeed, it kind of felt like I was watching the version I wanted to watch at the movies in the first place.
The cuts you operated were quite seamless, but what I enjoyed the most is that you managed to make film 1 more respectful towards the book (the main advantages I saw are that the dwarves are far less goofy, and most importantly Azog is gone, among numeral other changes you operated) while keeping it faithful to P. Jackson's aesthetics. While I was not frustrated with the original beginning of the film, I also really enjoyed what you did with the introduction.
Here are some details I've noted (that does not change my feelings on your cut, that I still find enjoyable and relevant) :
- I wonder if the presence of Radagast is, after all, really needed. As much as I appreciate seeing an old Doctor on screen, and seeing that you removed a lot of the scenes involving him, I felt, when watching, that we had either too much or too few of him, if you know what I mean. I understand it is to introduce the necromancer plot, but maybe that could be dealt with a film 2 cut (at which point scenes from film 1 could be moved to film 2?) ? I don't know, since my remark is relatively minor. In fact, as I write it, I think that it's the second apparition of Radagast, when he shows the morgul blade to Gandalf, that did bother me (a little, again, it's no big deal).
- I don't recall in the theatrical version why Gandalf was not in the cave when Bilbo tries to leave the company, but Thorin and another dwarf I can't remember the name exchange a line about Gandalf being missing at that moment, and as we did not see the reason why he left the company, it is sort of confusing. Maybe your keeping of Radagast was to justify that ?
- Concerning the fact that Thorin is knocked out with the eagles… I've watched several times this specific part, but all I could think was to plainly remove the part where they land, i.e. having only the arrival of the eagles, their departure, followed by the shot where Thorin looks at a distance and where Biblo says something like "Is that what I think it is"… Maybe you already gave it a try, I don't know.

Maybe it's specific to my computer or codecs, but I had a green line at the right of the image. No big deal, but just in case.

I don't know how you feel about it, but despite being a great scene, the riddle scene (and subsequent scenes between Gollum and Bilbo) always felt too luminous to me (especially if you look into the book, where the scene takes place in a nearly pitch-black atmosphere).Therefore, I tested a few (rough) tweaks in my video player by adjusting exposure, and I found it more convincing that way. I guess that it could be more convincing still with finer tuning of picture parameters (I did not look into other parameters). Maybe it's a matter of taste, and maybe you either do not agree on this, or do not want to go the trouble of meddling with picture adjustment, but anyway I thought I would tell you my view on this.

So despite these (minor) remarks, I want to emphasise that I really enjoyed your work. I find it makes the film more mature, closer to the source, and respectful towards P. Jackson's work. Nice job !

He already answered some of my remarks, I put them here so he does not have to repeat himself

Menbailee said:
- Having seen the second movie, I agree about Radagast. My plan is already to move his second scene from An Unexpected Journey to the second movie, as Gandalf enters Mirkwood. This way, Radagast and not telepathy from Galadriel prompts Gandalf to leave for Dol Guldur.

- Gandalf is just mysteriously missing from the cave in the book! There's a paragraph about how the dwarves don't see him leave but notice he's gone.

- The Thorin KO is really the thorn in my side in this edit. It's the one thing I couldn't fix. There's practically no footage of the eagles dropping off the company, because it's all focused on Thorin. The visual continuity just doesn't work if we skip the landing altogether.

Making the Riddles in the Dark scene more genuinely dark is a neat idea. I'll try it.

Also, a thought that occurred to me when wondering what we'd have in the third film, I fear there will be much of the Azog story arc (quite possibly with Thorin and Azog fighting), therefore I hope it would be possible to remove as much mentions of his name as possible, so as to have consistent cuts. But let's not dwell too much on conjectures, we'll see it when it's released. :)

Very nice review -V-. I loved this edit. But your discussion with Menbailee convinced me there is room for fine tuning, perhaps using footage from the other movie(s). Once the trilogy extended editions have all been released, editors will have many more scenes to play with. I racked my noggin trying to devise a fix for the Thorin/Eagle scene that I could share, but to no avail. As I said in my review though, I would rather wonder how Thorin was injured than watch the Thorin/Azog/Bilbo scene. By far. My personal preference for edits of these movies is cut Azog as much as possible, ditch the arcade scenes, and focus on BILBO. Menbailee did an outstanding job of that. Any other changes made will be the cherry on top.

Sounds like this one would be great to watch, any hope of an reup? it's not on mega anymore.
Have the Arkenstone edit, and would like to watch this as well.

Thanks for your work :)

Yeah, I noticed it seemed to have dropped off. Well, they do warn us that stuff older than about a year may not be available any longer.

Wish I knew more about editing - as it is I can just comment on what I would/wouldn't like to see and hope somebody comes close to that.

Back
Top Bottom