• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Edits

Though I admit it would be tough to make it totally consistent with LotR given the talking dragon, etc.
Totally random thought I had just now about this bit. In your mind, what makes a talking dragon less tonally consistent with LotR than a bunch of talking trees? I feel like, if anything, the Ents would seem more Hobbity than Lord of the Ringsy to you in this case.

Just curious about your thoughts, I'm not disagreeing with any of your critiques or saying you're wrong (I agree with you that the Hobbit films lean more towards LotR than the book) this one just puzzled me a bit! Thanks again for your feedback!

Totally random thought I had just now about this bit. In your mind, what makes a talking dragon less tonally consistent with LotR than a bunch of talking trees? I feel like, if anything, the Ents would seem more Hobbity than Lord of the Ringsy to you in this case.

Just curious about your thoughts, I'm not disagreeing with any of your critiques or saying you're wrong (I agree with you that the Hobbit films lean more towards LotR than the book) this one just puzzled me a bit! Thanks again for your feedback!
The short answer is “I wasn’t too keen on the Ents either.” 🤣

Longer answer is that the Ents felt like some sort of magic whereas the goblins, dragon, etc. felt like beasts that wouldn’t have the ability to speak. Granted that is totally my arbitrary feelings on the matter of a story that isn’t exactly grounded in reality. I think we all decide what feels right for the internal narrative of a story and whether it is consistent. The Hobbit, to me, feels like it was written with a different world in mind and is not consistent with the LotR, book or movie. And my preferred Middle Earth is the LotR Middle Earth.

Last edited:
Longer answer is that the Ents felt like some sort of magic whereas the goblins, dragon, etc. felt like beasts that wouldn’t have the ability to speak. Granted that is totally my arbitrary feelings on the matter of a story that isn’t exactly grounded in reality. I think we all decide what feels right for the internal narrative of a story and whether it is consistent. The Hobbit, to me, feels like it was written with a different world in mind and is not consistent with the LotR, book or movie. And my preferred Middle Earth is the LotR Middle Earth.
Definitely a solid point, I can respect that!

I just finished reading this entire thread and remembered where you were just four months ago. You came a long way fast. It's impressive when a new editor can draw the kind of positive support and constructive feedback that you have and then utilize it to grow into an award winning editor. Congratulations, Stromboli!

The short answer is “I wasn’t too keen on the Ents either.” 🤣

Roll on Numenor on Prime ( please don’t suck, please don’t suck)…

Episodes 2, 3, and 4 have had all of their source files updated. Episodes 1 and 5 will take the longest so I've been saving them for last. I've also changed my export/render process to try to maximize quality. I now have 2 options for each one depending on whether you prefer Quality or a smaller File Size. Thanks to @krausfadr for all the help!

I made a few changes to each based on community feedback, this list does not include a handful of improvements I made to different transitions.

Episode 2:

I always loved how Anti-Cringe moved the scene "My lord Elrond, the dwarves.... They're gone." to come right after Galadriel shows up. I thought it was genius. However, someone recently pointed out to me that we see Thorin and Bilbo dropping eves on that conversation like 30 seconds prior to that announcement, so it was a continuity error that was perhaps pretty minor, but one that bugged me enough to change it! The Rivendell sequence now only has 1 night, instead of 2. (Day arrival -> Dinner -> Night Moon Runes -> Night Eavesdropping -> Galadriel -> Bilbo explores Rivendell the following morning -> Departure)

- I only used the 2nd half of the walking Montage because I plan on using the 1st half in Episode 1 to transition from the troll hoard to Rivendell like M4 did (had a few people suggest this) however my version includes the Gandalf/Galadriel conversations.

- Realized Bilbo falling off the cliff actually has a contuinity error in the original film. Rearranged some shots to fix this

- Toned down Thorin raging at Bilbo for said fall, just a little (TM2YC)

- Removed Gandalf noticing Bilbo put the ring in his pocket, and added back his "Awwww" expression towards Bilbo once Bilbo gives his wholesome speech @Hal9000

- Replaced the slowed shot I used of Bilbo at the ending with a cropped and zoomed version of the same shot for removing the caption. @Wraith and I discussed this a while back and I thought it looked weird, but when I saw @TM2YC 's edit and barely noticed, I realized it was the way to go.

- I had a few people critique how the end of this episode goes from movie 1 to movie 2, but honestly I think this is the single best thing @DonKamillo did in his edit (and I liked a LOT) so I refuse to budge on it!

Episode 3:

- Sauron's eye at Mirkwood re-instated, but does not relate to the Ring or Bilbo @Wraith

- Sequence from Entering Mirkwood to the Spider attack has been restored and left untouched. I shortened it after some feedback, then got some different feedback saying it was too short, and I always liked it to begin with so I put it back in.

Episode 4

- I previously mimicked L8wrtr's version of the dwarves not giving up when they couldn't find the keyhole, then I tried Maple's, ended up with M4's.

- Remove Sauron's eye when Bilbo takes off the ring (Smaug encounter). Now, the only time Sauron's eye shows up in my edit is right before Gandalf leaves Mirkwood. This was done at Wraith's recommendation to disassociate the Ring from feeling so "LotR-Prequel"y, and place that foreshadowing on Gandalf's shoulders, so it can be fleshed out in Episode 4.5

- Created new sequence during the Smaug encounter (modeled off of Maple Films) to make a better transition

More to come!

Episode 1 took me roughly 3 hours, so I guess I was putting that off for no real reason. Currently being rendered.

I used M4's Troll Hoard -> Rivendell sequence, and after months of deliberation......I removed Blunt the Knives (TM2YC style)

Someone recently asked if I had subtitles, and those had never crossed my mind, so I'm going to look into that, as well as include chapter markers for each episode (definitely should have done this already)

Link has been updated to include my artwork, as well as 4 different file sizes/qualities (1 option is still uploading) all updated to "Version 2.0." Thanks again for all the feedback everyone has given me :)

Efforts are now going into Episode 4.5, which I've come to realize will bring "my" Middle-Earth collection to 9 Parts. How neat is that?

Found a couple of goofs in the rebuild, which have since been corrected! I also made a cut during the Smaug sequence that's similar to what Eldusto84 did, but a little different, for transitioning over the "A darkness is coming" line that Smaug drops (and subsequent Dol Guldur scenes). It's been handled a ton of different ways and none of them really felt 100% to me, including my own. However, I think I've got it perfected now!

I'd also like to thank @BmoreBilbo , @not_a_wizard ,@antani22 and @leko54 for taking that extra step and dropping me a review! Always happy to see some new members getting involved!

Found another new goof in Episode 3 and how to do Chapter Markers! Exporting now!

Chapter Names

Episode 1:
Prologue
An Unexpected Party
Durin's Folk
An Unexpected Journey
Roast Mutton
The Hidden Valley

Episode 2:
A Short Rest
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark