• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Tower

Neglify said:
I'm excited and nervous. I really think Elba and McConaughey will be great but I'm sure the script will be a mess.

It really depends on how committed they are to branching this into a series. If they were trying to force all seven books into one movie we'd be screwed, but since they're going to give it room to breathe with movies and television I think we might be okay. Only time will tell though.

I would like to believe, but the story is so outside the mainstream.

Keep picturing an average viewer, their brains going,

[size=medium]Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum?
[/size]

According to Deadline, Jackie Earle Haley has joined The Dark Tower and will be playing Richard Sayre who isn't introduced until book five. He's a good actor, and seems right for the role, I'm just curious now how much they're restructuring the series for the films?

First picture of Idris Elba in costume as Roland.

343B5D7900000578-3592955-image-m-2_1463406779182.jpg

Hmm. Not exactly what I was picturing. He looks too clean. Still, he's got the acting chops.

I agree that he's too clean. It pisses me off when Westerns have characters wearing clean clothes and looking like actors on a set. But who knows how it will look in the film. This could just be a shot from early in the day and the costume department will dirty him up right before shooting.

Vultural said:
I'd like to see missing fingers.

I do too but I doubt that aspect will be kept. Not to mention..

The rumor is that he has the horn of Eld at the start, so the movies are the next cycle, not what was covered in the books. A clever way for the filmmakers to completely rewrite the story.

Pictures of Matthew McConaughey in costume as The Man in Black surfaced.

TgfeKyd.jpg

Not sure how I feel. In my mind, Walter was always cloaked, hiding his identity. There's nothing too special about his look. That being said I'm still excited to see this film and have high hopes for his performance.

Neglify said:
Vultural said:
I'd like to see missing fingers.

I do too but I doubt that aspect will be kept. Not to mention... [Spoilers]

That's actually a pretty great idea. If they do stray on something, I just wish they'd make...

Modred less of a useless villain. How did SK let a gunslinger were-spider demon boy get used up as a sickly pursuer who fails at his one job?

If they change ANYTHING else, it will be worth it. Except Shardik, never change Shardik.

A lot of great stuff going on at reddit's DT sub. This week's Entertainment Weekly has Elba and McConaughey on the cover, with some great articles. Also, a new ARG seems to be in motion. Download the "Sombra Group" app, although there's not much now. 

Also, there will be something at Comic-Con possibly, based on this pic posted to FB by King. I wonder if we'll be getting a teaser soon.

An earlier draft of the script has leaked. This is dated August 8, 2014 and before Nikolai Arcel came on board. Arcel and his co-writer revised it enough to get final credit. I read that King helped guide Arcel with his rewrites to help strengthen Roland, which is good because Roland is a bit weak in this draft. 

If I were to guess, based on casting information, what Entertainment Weekly said, and the various location photos, I'd say they've kept the overall framework and changed dialogue/character. Here are my brief thoughts I posted on Reddit, but beware of spoilers. I will say, reading it has increased my hope in this film. 

If you're curious to read the script, here's the link.

The Gunslinger has blue eyes: CONFIRMED.

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks movie, see you on opening night.

While I'm not disappointed by the trailer I'm not stoked either. I hope the movie itself doesn't disappoint.

That trailer is the result of this project I've been hearing about for years and years? It was my first exposure to the franchise, and oh my, does it look like a nothing burger. It didn't help that it played right before (or after, I forget) the Jumanji trailer, which had a similar portal-to-another-world effect. :p

Back
Top Bottom