• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Dark Tower

Neglify said:
I was on a Dark Tower forum last year and the opinion was pretty split on Book 4. Half thought it was brilliant, the other half thought was overlong and unnecessary.

I do think it's longer than it needed to be, but what of King's isn't these days?

Q2 said:
I actually think the first book is the best in the series, closely followed by "The Wastelands".
Well it certainly have some visualy interesting scenes. It's just that I absolutely did not understand what was the purpose of the "story" and why I should care for anything that happens.
I will read book 2 though. Thanks for all your replies.

TMBTM said:
It's just that I absolutely did not understand what was the purpose of the "story" and why I should care for anything that happens.

I felt the same when I first read it when I was around 13 years old. I was like "WTF was that all about?" and didn't get around to book 2 until 4 years later or so. Now though, The Gunslinger is my favorite book in the series and it's the one I reread the most.

Casting suggestion: if we factor in the five to ten more years this project will likely spend in development hell, Oscar Isaac will be old and wizened enough to be a great Roland.

It's official: The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed. #DarkTowerMovie @McConaughey @IdrisElba

alright alright alright. matthew mcconaughey = the Man in Black

a81BM0c.gif

Idris Elba = Roland.

--

Shooting starts in April. In theaters, January 13, 2017

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...y?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Wow, it's actually happening. Crazy. I'm on the fence about Elba, but I'm hoping he proves me wrong. It has nothing to do with race, actually, I can think of several black or hispanic actors that would work for me. There's something about Elba's aloof/nonchalant acting style, though, that I don't really buy as Roland, but he's a good actor, so I'm hoping he will, well, act.

Matthew McConaughey was slated to play Stu Redman in a The Stand adaptation which was just postponed (again), and I'm really glad that never happened. He's a perfect Man in Black. It would be boss if he could play Randall Flagg instead in a future The Stand adapatation. When I re-read The Stand recently, I kept picturing McConaughey's face and voice. It just felt right.

No chance they're having it finished till January 2017. Also, still not happy with Elba as Roland.

theslime said:
Matthew McConaughey was slated to play Stu Redman in a The Stand adaptation which was just postponed (again), and I'm really glad that never happened. He's a perfect Man in Black. It would be boss if he could play Randall Flagg instead in a future The Stand adapatation. When I re-read The Stand recently, I kept picturing McConaughey's face and voice. It just felt right.

I thought he was up for the role of Flagg, not Stu. Maybe I was mistaken.

So Susannah won't be calling Roland a "honk muffuh", I'm guessing. Too bad. That was one of my favorite moments from the series.

The other was that ridiculous poem about the turtle. Fun fact: when I was reading "The Wastelands" in high school, there was this middle school kid that sat with me on the school bus. He took a liking to the poem and turned it into a song - twice. The first was a country adaptation, preferably played on a banjo. The second was a stereotypical Native American chant.

Neglify said:
I thought he was up for the role of Flagg, not Stu. Maybe I was mistaken.
Both stories actually circulated, and apparently the director (Josh Boone) was open for both solutions, but primarily wanted him to play Stu. He considered Christian Bale as his first choice as Flagg. But it won't happen for a long time, likely with other actors.

theslime said:
Both stories actually circulated, and apparently the director (Josh Boone) was open for both solutions, but primarily wanted him to play Stu. He considered Christian Bale as his first choice as Flagg. But it won't happen for a long time, likely with other actors.

Was this supposed to be a single movie? Because that would be utterly pointless.

King had six hours (a four-part miniseries) and still had to cut out a lot.

And I think that cast was just about perfect.

ThrowgnCpr said:

That's it? I was hoping for something more significant, like a reference to something in the books.

there is nothing more significant than math.
that is unless, the p-value renders the results insignificant.

Mark Moore said:
What's the significance?

Have you read any of the books? 19 is a HUGE deal in the Dark Tower universe.

http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/19 gives a little bit of an explanation and a small handful of occurrences. 19 didn't become excessive in the series until the last 3 books, which were written after King was hit by a van on June 19, 1999.

It seems principle photography on The Dark Tower has begun. Never thought I'd see the day.

Source

I'm excited and nervous. I really think Elba and McConaughey will be great but I'm sure the script will be a mess.

Back
Top Bottom