• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Knight (2008) is a masterpiece!

voodl said:
The Joker claimed not to have a plan, but actually had six or seven

Did you notice that Joker was not truthful? ......his stories about scars?

Yes, I did catch that. I was just being silly. Clearly lying was a favorite past time of his.

voodl said:
Kind of all over the map there voodl... Sort of like TDK! :)

Yes....but the point is here:

[quote:3a1alpwl]Name 5 better movies of 2008!

:)[/quote:3a1alpwl]

Why 5?

reave said:
Hargiwald said:
reave said:
I would have to say that the reason for most people's disappointment with TDK is the fact that it was WAAAAAYYYY overhyped. It would be hard for any movie to live up to all the expectations that were put on it. I learned long ago to avoid being caught up in hype like that, because more often than not you will be let down. If some people who are poo-pooing TDK now, had gone into the theater "cold", I think their opinion would be slightly different. IMO.
I'm pretty sure my 7/7 opinion of it is what I would have thought either way, thank you. If hype did anything to this movie it is putting it in the top 5 movies on IMDB.

Wow! 7 out of 7? That's pretty good! :p Oh, and you're quite welcome. I didn't intend on offending anyone with my comment, THANK YOU..

Whoops!

reave said:
Ziz said:
reave said:
I would have to say that the reason for most people's disappointment with TDK is the fact that it was WAAAAAYYYY overhyped. It would be hard for any movie to live up to all the expectations that were put on it. I learned long ago to avoid being caught up in hype like that, because more often than not you will be let down. If some people who are poo-pooing TDK now, had gone into the theater "cold", I think their opinion would be slightly different. IMO.

Why did I just have a flashback to 1999? Replace "TDK" with "TPM".

I'm not saying that everyone who is not wowed by TDK is solely of that opinion because of the hype, but it is a factor with some people.

Yeah, people react irrationally in general, but as I said before, in all probability others just blindly adored the movie without even thinking because they had their mind sets. Let's just agree that it would all be for the best if people could just shut off expectations and hype and go see a movie with a normal mind set. People get so easily over-excited sometimes.

Clearly lying was a favorite past time of his.

He lied to robbery team mates, he lied to mob guys, he lied to batman and he lied to harvey during conversation in hospital.... Why TDK is great movie? Because of story. When you dig in what happend between Batman-Harvey-Joker and when you see what battles Joker lost and what battles won you will find this movie great! ...and you will see why Knight of Gotham had to become The Dark Knight!

why 5? I did the math.... ;)

Just watched this tonight. Purposely let time pass so I hopefully wouldn't be let down due to the hype. And yet I was still disappointed. For some reason I just can't get into the new Batman movies. Perhaps if I wasn't so invested in the Burton films (including to a lesser extent the third one), it would be different.

Did you guys really think Ledger's performance was Oscar worthy? I will admit that he was very good (best thing about the movie), but I didn't think it was an award winning performance.

Just my 2 cents...

he was good, but if he had not died, he would have probably never won it.

I agree completely.

You said you have an affinity for the Burton version. By comparison, that version is very campy - at least as far as the Joker - goons all wearing the same jackets, driving around in green and purple cars, Joker having a green helicopter with a big Joker face on the side. Joker was reduced to being a mob thug with a gimmick.

Nolan's Batman universe is as realistic and modern day as possible within the limitations of the concept. All of Batman's gear has a logical origin - he didn't just invent it on his own. His fear of bats and the events in his life that drove him to becoming Batman are all very plausible. Joker's origin is never explained (he changes his story every time), and he truly is crazy, but what he finds funny has a "black humor" element to it. Tell me you didn't simultaneously laugh and cringe at the pencil trick. Go back and listen to what he tells Harvey in the hospital room.

"The mob has plans, the cops have plans, Gordon's got plans. They're schemers, trying to control their little worlds. I'm not a schemer. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are."

By his definition, the people who are trying to force conformity on the rest of the population are the true "crazy" ones, the ones with "God" complexes. By comparison, he's just running on instinct - "Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one of I caught it. I just do things."

His bit with the two boats at the end was brilliant - if the convicts blew up the civilians, the convicts would be no better off than they already were and a few hundred people would be dead. If the civilians blew up the convicts, you now have essentially 400-odd people who agreed that mass murder was acceptable, thereby becoming criminals themselves. Talk about a no-win scenario.

To really appreciate the Nolan Batman films, you have to look beyond the superhero surface. Get into the characters' minds, learn WHY they are the people they are.

I don't disagree with what you said. Maybe it's the camp that I like. ;)

Mollo said:
I think Jack as the Joker nailed the part

Yeah but you can't not say that about Heath Ledger or Cesar Romero either. The Joker has changed from each decade. Cesar's Joker was a fantastic representation of the playful Joker of the 50s/60s and early to mid 70s. Jack's Joker was pretty much dead on with the Joker of the late 70's and all of the 1980s. Heath's Joker was spot on perfect of the Joker that has been in the comics since around 2001 or so. Whereas the same can't really be said about other villains like Catwoman, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, etc. They all have the same motive each time and don't really have any extra depth like The Joker. So to say one person nailed it and the others didn't is inaccurate.

And yes, Mark Hammil did a great job doing the voice as well, but you can't even rank him with the other three.

Oh and as for Ledger winning the Oscar, was it an Oscar winning performance? Absolutely. Would he have been nominated and won it if he didn't die? No way. The Academy doesn't even look at comic book films twice. For the record though, Jack was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance as The Joker too, so. I think it's really a mix of both. Had his performance not had been so excellent, he wouldn't have got the nom to begin with.

Cesar's Joker was a fantastic representation of the playful Joker of the 50s/60s and early to mid 70s.
50s and 60s: true.
70s: not really.

The O'Neil/Adams Joker is way darker than Romero's Joker. It's actually much darker than the Jack Nicholson one too. In fact, "The Joker's Five-Way Revenge!" is quite possibly the greatest Joker story of all time. O'Neil really got the vicious humour of the Joker. Like the Nolans' Joker, he's not about bad puns, but recognising and embracing the absurd as a way of life. He devises an elaborate scheme to get a shark to kill the Batman. Why? Because the shark's grin resembles the Joker's own. I think that's great.

Back
Top Bottom