• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Crow: city of angels - Second coming v3.0 (Completed!)

could it have been the software that burnt it? could it have been the disc? and it is AC3

Hi Craven. While the audio of the edit is true 5.1 (same as the released DVD), my editing program seems to have a different way of outputting audio streams.

The following is an excerpt from DoctorM's review: "The audio is mpeg and that's bad. This is a violation of DVD standard and as a result may not play back on all stand-alone players (particularly those in the U.S.). While PAL regions allow for mpeg audio, NTSC spec requires PCM, DD, (or DTS provided there is an additional PCM/DD track with it)."

So, while the audio of my edit is of high quality and is 5.1, the "container" for it cannot be read by all U.S. standalone DVD players. It's not what program you've burned the disc with, but the actual audio file format itself in the DVD folder. I say this so you don't burn a ton of DVD-r's trying to get the audio to work on your DVD player. I apoligize for this, as it is not intentional on my part.

I wasn't aware of this issue at the time of the creating the edit (as the audio played when testing the edit in my DVD player) and I have no idea if there's a way to correct the audio situation with another program, but even this method would require rebuilding the entire DVD and i'm not sure when i'll be able to get back around regathering materials I used for it. If possible, I recommend trying your burnt copy in another DVD player, or a current video game console capable of playing DVD-r's if you have one (i've tested this edit on my slimline model Playstation 2 for example).

Good luck with viewing the edit. I am sorry that I can't do more to help at this point in time. :/

I believe you are mistaken. Mpeg audio cannot be higher than 2 channels and it is a codec, not a container.

Your disc is a re-encoded downmix of the original ac3 audio--
Codec: MPEG-1 Audio layer 2
Codec profile: Joint stereo
Bit rate mode: CBR
Bit rate: 224 Kbps
Channel(s): 2 channels
Sampling rate: 48.0 KHz
Resolution: 16 bits

Also from digitalfaq.com (just to prove I'm not crazy):
MPEG Layer II audio
The MPEG Layer II format (commonly using the .MP2 or .MPA file extension) is not the same as the MPEG Layer III (MP3) audio format. While both forms of MPEG audio, they are not the same. DVD and CD-based video does not use MP3 audio. For NTSC video, MPEG audio is not officially supported. This being said, also realize most DVD players can playback the MPEG audio. If the player can play S/X/VCD formats, then it will most likely playback the MPEG Layer II. Most MPEG video chips are also hard-coded to play the audio. For PAL users, MPEG Layer II is currently supported, though recent shifts in the DVD Forum has hinted that this will change in the future. The biggest advantage to leaving the audio as MP2 is to preserve it's quality, assuming it was clean sounding from the beginning. Encoding to PCM merely makes the file larger and encoding to AC3 can potentially harm the quality, especially if the MP2 was a low bitrate. In general, using 256k 48hz is optimal. And 192k is minimum. Most X/S/VCD formats used 224k.
Advantage: size and ease of conversion from XVCD/SVCD/CVD/VCD
Disadvantage: quality and player support.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this edit and the audio is not bad at all, it just had room to be better.

I guess what I was trying to say by saying that the audio is 5.1 is that all of the music and sound effects etc. still come out of the correct/same speaker placement as the official DVD mix (as opposed to a "fake" surround where a same one channel plays from all speakers). That said, I now understand that the 5.1 track was downmixed. Wow this techie stuff (containers, codecs, aaargh!) can sure be confusing lol.. so thanks for stepping in and clearing that up, DoctorM! I'm still learning so help is always appreciated. :)

I know stupid stuff like that, but I doubt I could pull off the animatics and stuff like you did.
That's why we're all here... to help each other become better editors.

i figured out how to make sound come out. my surround sound player is not made to output mpeg, but my dvd player is. my dvd player also had an option to downmix the sound to pcm, and it does. the audio is clear, but i tried to put it on dolby plII movie to gt use of the surrounds, but it didn't work. so, i put it on theater to get it to be a bit louder and a little bit better bass response. that worked, and the movie sounds good. i just hope that this gets an official release, but that's like hoping Brandon Lee will come back to life

jsut watched it, loved it. want the contact information to miramax, email and regular mail. by god, i will write a letter in ink and on microsoft word if i have to.

Hey everyone!! Sorry for the hiatus, there was a lot of crap going on but all is good now. Got a bit of catching up to do here! I've remade the Second coming DVD cover for those who want it (will upload soon, it's 2240 x 1504).

qp2i4h.jpg

The Special features disc is also now complete, but it does not come without some bad news. Appearantly as i've been informed by some of my friends, a member here has been selling the edit on eBay. Which makes me not want to upload the 2nd disc. Kinda depressing. I probably will eventually anyway, so here's the details:

The Crow: city of angels - Second coming Special features

Special feature categories:

Behind-the-scenes
Interviews
Alternate scenes
Alternate audio scenes
Unused animatic sequences
Official music videos
My music videos
Official trailers
My trailers

Feature listing

Behind-the-scenes:

Making-of featurette
Production & costume design featurette
Vincent Perez doing hanging stunt
Vincent Perez doing falling stunt
The characters: concept to screen

Interviews:

Director Tim Pope: 4 clips
Iggy Pop: 4 clips
James O' Barr: 1 clip
Mia Kirshner: 3 clips
Production designer
Alex McDowell: 1 clip
Richard Brooks: 4 clips
Vincent Perez: 3 clips

Alternate scenes:

Alternate camera angle:
Ashe jumping off bridge

Alternatively-edited scene:
Ashe wakes up

Drug lab explosion:
Spidermonkey burns

Hilarious UPN-TV dubbed scenes

Alternate Nemo Escape &
Coin Trick Revealed

Alternate audio scenes:

Alternate ending score

Ashe: angry at Judah

Ashe surfacing

Ashe crying (score cue from
the movie 'Jacob's ladder')

"Its finally beginning":
alternate score

Sarah: "I saw": alternate score

Alternate Sarah voice-over

Unused animatics:

Extended Ashe-Judah
confrontation

Extended ending (part 1 of 2)

Extended ending (part 2 of 2)

Official music videos:

Filter - Jurassitol (Uncut Version)
Hole - Goldust woman
(Short version)
New York Loose - Spit
Seven Mary Three - Shelf Life
Music promo
Filter -Jurassitol
Hole - Goldust Woman
White Zombie -
I'm your Boogie man

My music videos:

VAST - Free
Soil - Halo
Switchfoot - New
way to be human

Official trailers:

UPN TV trailer
TV teaser trailer
French theatrical trailer
Theatrical trailer #1
Theatrical trailer #2
Theatrical trailer #3

My trailers:

November 2007 release trailer
Promo: ZZ top - Sharp-dressed man
Custom audio theatrical trailer
#3: Tea party - Paint it black

if you intend to release this, please without footage from the original DVDs.
I know that ebay stuff can be a pain and it is by far not the only place, where idiots sell our works (sometimes for an incredible amount of money). What these guys are doing is of course strictly illegal and hopefully everyone, who gets to know of this will report the sellers to the authorities. But it should not stop us from wanting to share with those, who just want to add it to their existing collections, for free of course.
Nice new cover art.

I'm going to download this, very interested in what you've outlined.

Side note: does anyone know if there been any petitioning of Miramax to release the real Director's Cut?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask...

First let me state that I really appreciate your intent for this edit, restoring what the studio seems to have mercilessly hacked out of the Director's vision. Credit to you for that.

Watching this project, I was prepared to accept a certain shortcomings if you will (i.e. sub-par video sources, switching between live action and stills with titles.) This was all based on your comments. All well and good, given the noble intent.

The Review:

From a video/audio perspective, I noticed no jarring cuts. Audio levels were all good. I didn't realize you had replaced some songs until afterwards, the ultimate compliment.

A note about the titles (someone else noted this as well): the opening credit title has a sparkly effect that really doesn't fit the film's tone.

The music you used for the still sections was appropriate. The font I wasn't too crazy about. The still video at times was poor, but again we must consider your sources. I'm not keen on the sound effects and animations you applied during these sections. It was interesting what you did with these parts, but the overall effect didn't quite do it for me.

Another reviewer mentioned perhaps using the comic adaptation for the still footage. If the comic follows the uncut story, I would highly recommend trying to use that as your source. Some creative motion/transition effects could really help there as well.

The real problem with Crow 2 for me is in the source. Vincent Perez was OK as the Crow but I really found his accent to be a hindrance, only in the sense that it sort of stilted some of the dialogue. His diction didn't really allow the impact of some of the dramatic dialogue to come through. The villain was pretty poor this time too- I think that guy was badly miscast. And the less said about Iggy Pop the better.

Another problem is they cloned many of the elements from the first film as well, the villain living in a high-rise (replete with Asian female assistant), Devils Night/Day of the Dead, capturing the crow etc. This merely invites comparison to the original, which will win every time in these situations.

The original film I rate a 2.
I give yours a 3, for your inspired and creative attempt at a solution.

I really like the idea, but it didn't quite work for me in execution. Still, a noble effort, and I will gladly check out any of your future edits.

I'm trying to get something done about it....so long as my friend still has his ioffer account. Sprug worked too long and hard on this to have someone soil the effort. And shame on whoever it is here that's been selling it on ebay :twisted: There's only one thing to relay to said individual:

vader-fail.jpg

Thank you jokersmailbag for pointing this out, and thank you IWM for helping out. Check out his response to a potential "customer":

"buyer

sladetwc (0)

Where'd you find this video?

seller

freedomforce24 (83)

Response Sep 25, 2008 8:53 PM
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. As a seller, it probably wouldn't be very beneficial to me. I hope you understand."

..Hilarious, what a wanker! I posted a reply, but I bet it will be deleted. Ioffer seems to support piracy, because when looking at the bottom of the page several workprints are up for sale.

Nice cover art. Will you release it? (I've burned C:COA:SC DVD and still waiting for cover 'cause first one wasn't very good but this one surely is.

btw - this is one of most interesting fanedits I've ever seen (even now COA is my favourite crow movie and it looks like it should have been something much better). I've even signed the petition for real dir cut release, but I am afraid that it won't happen :( Shame on miramax.

PS.and what abou the bonus DVD?

I'd love to have the bonus disc too.

It is not available anywhere yet?

Here is the link to the high quality cover (finally, eh?! I took long enough to reply!)
I would direct link to display but i'd say this image is too big for the forum.

http://i43.tinypic.com/16at8ok.png

Hey Boon (or any other admin), who do I send this to to be added to the fanedits page? If one of the proper people sees this, feel free to upload it to the site. The old cover can be replaced with this one. If anyone spots errors such as typos, please let me know and i'll correct them. :)

As for the 2nd disc.. wow am I having problems with it! While the DVD file is completely finished and authored, some of the videos keep outputting as window-boxed for no appearant reason when they should be outtputting as 4:3. Still trying hard to work this out. Sorry again folks, for the LONG wait. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom