• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE ALAMO (1960) - PRESERVED & RECONSTRCTED ROADSHOW VERSION 3hr 22min - IN HD

UPDATE:

Now at the 1h49 min point, the intermission.

Analysis continues and there is no question that some shots have a better colour balance on the French BD release than the US release. So a number of these shots will be getting included in this new version as well. Some of the longer transition shots into the deleted sequences rather than using the previous laserdisc versions where the lead ins were at a lower resolution yet available on the theatrical Blu-rays.

Lookimg forward to finally seeing an underapprecieted classic in as close to a high quality presentation of the original roadshow version as possible. Keep me posted!

Now working on integrating the newly Topazed material…

An Erroneous post igas been deleted

Last edited:
An Erroneous post igas been deleted

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Now at the 1h49 min point, the intermission.

Analysis continues and there is no question that some shots have a better colour balance on the French BD release than the US release. So a number of these shots will be getting included in this new version as well. Some of the longer transition shots into the deleted sequences rather than using the previous laserdisc versions where the lead ins were at a lower resolution yet available on the theatrical Blu-rays.

Do you also have the 2021 German BD release by Koch? I expect the French and German BDs used the same transfer for the Theatrical version but I have not seen confirmation of this. However, the French release includes the Roadshow version on DVD whereas the German release has it on BD at 720p. They downsampled the Theatrical version and inserted missing scenes from the Roadshow LD, upsampled to 720p.

Unfortunately, the German release was a limited run and quickly went OOP. I missed it so still have not seen the Roadshow version. I have only waited about 50 years so I guess a little longer won't hurt.

From what I read about the work you've done, it appears your V2 will look better than the Koch edition. I look forward to finally seeing this piece of cinematic history.

Which do you prefer...LEFT or RIGHT?

Idk if it's just me but the llink does not point to anything. I searched in fanedit . org / media - just in case the filename in the link was wrong but I could not find the image.

Idk if it's just me but the llink does not point to anything. I searched in fanedit . org / media - just in case the filename in the link was wrong but I could not find the image.
Really annoying… Apols.
For some reason it needs approving….
Send me a DM and I can share it there…

UPDATE

Here isthe comparison of the French 2K Blu Ray image and the US Blu Ray.

I am at the 30 minute on replacing some of the Theatrical version with this better source and using an improved upscale of the deleted Roadshow material.

Last edited:
Update

I am
in the process of the final reassembly of this this historically important motion picture.

The big issue comes from my obsession and the choices that need to made. These are in some ways similar to my The Godfather Magnum Opus edits. There I had 6 main sources to choose from and multiple versions of the films…most, but not all, in HD. The final result (with another set of revisions pending) are two 5 1/2 hour movies in which the material weaves in and out of all of these versions to varying extents.

The existing version of THE ALAMO is derived from:
US Theatrical Blu ray
US Roadshow VHS
JAPAN Laser Disc
UK HD TV Broadcast

For the existing version I aligned the superior VHS surround audio with the laser disc. The laser disc visuals were used as the template and the blu ray source overlaid . I then made hard visual cuts to the blu ray tfat were either side of material uniques to the laser disc. These cuts were made at shot changes that preceded or followed unique laserdisc material.

Now I have two additional superior sources.

FRENCH THEATRICAL 2k new scan derived blu ray
TOPAZED ROADSHOW MATERIAL

The new French scan is clearer, more vibrant and has greater detail. More surprisingly, the Fran contains more information (pics will follow) with the aspect ratio being about 5% wider with more information in all directions . This leads to an issue I’ll detail in a few moments.

I have also decided to replace much, but not all, of the US blu ray, since it is duller in many places.

I have also decided to ditch most of the transitional hard cuts and replace them with crossfades between versions. The aspect ratio difference and framing of the French version needs to be compensated for to achieve a seamless mid shot crossfade. This is all the more challenging since the two version do not visually align in respect a slight horizontal squeeze which is abscent in the French scan.

I’ve elected this way to assemble to maximise every last second of the best sources…adding up to about 5 mins overall of new blu ray material.

Fortunately I work on a 2k monitor, so I can achieve a good alignment. However, applying a progressive de-squeeze ahead of a cross fade and aligning perfectly is difficult, time consuming and tedious beyond words… it’s taken me the best part of a day to complete 3 such transitions…and there are 50/60 transitions points more left to do.

Stay tuned

UPDATE

6 Transitions completed.
58 transitions remain.

I'm VERY pleased with the results.

CLIPS to follow.

I have also recreated the original INTERMISSION card, which is in an awful state from ANY source.
Images to follow.

Well here we are in October and I hope some significant progress is being made on this project. I await any new news on this.

It's been my pleasure to help on the small parts I did alongside Wraith. When I started fanediting I had no clue I'd become friends with such a great editor. Can't wait to watch the final edit.
Only two more transitions completed.

I’ve been occupied with The Tarantino Tales and supporting some new editors…plus I’ve just also completed a new edit for Xmas…

I will continue to work on this but it is incredibly difficult to do each one of these transitions.

I could be lazy, like the previous version, and make the switches between scenes on hard shot cuts…however this often means loosing material that is pristine by cutting to the deleted material one shot early or late; some of these are long shots and so good material ends up being replaced with lower quality unnecessarily, hence these in shot transitions.

Aligning the versions requires pixel perfect alignment which given all 3 versions have different frame information, and one has a slight stretch on it, it’s very, very slow work.

Align
Render
View
Slightly off
Repeat

Shots often look exactly aligned, frame by frame… but it is only when you render the section and test it and then view it back in motion that you realise a you need to tweak to the left or a pixel down. It’s all it needs but then when you align you find that the image needs to either be cropped, resized or unstretched to match EVERYTHING in the frame.

Last edited:
None at this time.

Red Apple, My Hobbit and a few other things have been the priority…

Thanks for the ask… I shall return to this, but unsure when at this point.

Very good. Let’s all hope for the best with your efforts. In the meantime, somewhere floating out there is an interim reconstruction of THE ALAMO. PM me if you are interested In more info, By the way, there are other restored fan edits of other films out there waiting to be rediscovered by fans, and I will let you know if I discover some! Again, you are welcome to PM me anytime for these. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom