• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE ALAMO (1960) - PRESERVED & RECONSTRCTED ROADSHOW VERSION 3hr 22min - IN HD

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SO...Another from my archive, with a few new tweaks and polishing up in order to drop this on 'yall ! YUP, this has been sitting around, and, well...time to share.

The Theatrical version (2y42min) was cut down frmo the Roadshow version of 3h 22min. An HD version of the 70mm Roadshow version no longer exists.

This edit was compiled from the best available commercial sources in order to recreate the famous TODD.AO 3hour and 22 Minute version of the Roadshow presentation.

This has the reconstructed Overture, Entre-Acte and Exit Music, using the correct music cues which are well documented.

The Laser Disc release unfortunately was only in STEREO despite the film winning an Oscar for its 6 Channel Mix.

The Laser Disc was upscaled to 720 p, and the movie edited and rendered at 720p from the Blu Ray source intercut with the material unique to the Laser Disc. In some portions, the audio was taken from the Roadshow release on VHS which was brighter than the Laser Disc but syncing the Surround track from the VHS was too problematic.

A custom re-created credit for the TODD AO process was also created using a still from a frame of the surviving 70mm print as reference and creating a clean plate from the Blu Ray opening credits...the 70mm print is now pink! (see links below).

This presentation does not include ANY Fanedit, editor or other self-serving references out of respect to the importance of this film and the hope that the men in suits will restore it, one day somehow.

Though the 70mm pristine print from which the Laser Disc and VHS were made has long since been lost due to it mistreatment, many recent restorations from far more challengingly damaged material have been made.
For those of you not familiar with this movie, it cost $12 million dollars back in 1960 (about 120 million today). It was produced and directed by John Wayne, a dream project he had long sought to make.

The Alamo was shot in 65mm TODD-AO at 30fps, with Roadshow prints struck in 70mm to allow for the 6 channel audio.

The film was then cut down for its theatrical release and the sole surviving 70mm print (discovered in Canada in 1991) was effectively destroyed after the Laserdisc and VHS was mastered from it in the 90s.

Separation masters produced at the time have focus issues, and the surviving 35mm copies are missing the roadshow extra scenes.

This edit combines the best of the available sources, which IS COMPLETE overall, with some upscaling to 720p, edited in 1080p, and then mastered back to 1080 overall. Minimal sharpening was deployed in some of the recovered Laserdisc material.

Help restore this film by responding to the below article containing information on supporting the campaign.
DROPPING very Very, VERY soon!

Last edited:
Holy Cowboy Actors with Cool Pseudonyms because they have odd names like Marion!

This is going to be really cool and a six FEOTY award winning editor worthy project!

Count me eyes and ears interested!

Holy Cowboy Actors with Cool Pseudonyms because they have odd names like Marion!

This is going to be really cool and a six FEOTY award winning editor worthy project!

Count me eyes and ears interested!
It sounds great in Stereo, but the VHS Surround track was VERY problematic and I had to abandon the idea of a wholesale use of it. This is likely due to the magnetic oxide deteriorating and leading to breaks in the 5:1 sub carrier which sits under the stereo encode. When played on a surround system, the rear channels drop in and out a lot, and there is some fltter between the right, with a muddy center, so I had to go with the BD source and LAser disc for the most part....a real shame.

Here is the NEWLY created CREDIT for TODD AO, for the restored version....and its' assembly...

ALAMO, SUBMITTED

Last edited:
This will be available as a 9GB MP4, High Bit Rate or a 33GB M2TS file....(UBER SIZE).

I’m investigating the possibility of further improving the recovered material I shall report back soon and whether or not there will in fact be a version 2 of this important preservation, edit

Last edited:
Creating a clean title card plate eluded me last time...this time...NOT...

Allowing me to create FOR THE FIRST TIME, FULL CREDITS ( correct font, color and softness etc.) which do NOT exists...we just get 4 mins of EXIT MUSIC.. now it will look like this!
full

How can you make a near 3.5 hr movie and there are NO end credits at all in ANY version...

Now everyone in IMDB will appear. and then the EXIT MUSIC CAPTION will appear for the last 2 mins.

Last edited:
I was asked by a keen viewer, what does the Laserdisc source look like.

Well, I had a friend pull a file from the Japanese Laserdisc release for me. It looked much better than the below...

A recent French release, includes on a bonus blu ray the Roadshoe version in Std Def. Notwithstanding the auto fix from my camera, this is the Raw laser disc from that transfer, with VIDEO generated titles, lots of anti aliasing and more...Below it is my reconstructed HD from of the same scetion but using a cleaned up version of that Japanese release.
full

Last edited:
REMARKABLE and this is 25% smaller so I can show you...The original is even better.
Laser disc top, TOPAZ, bottom....V2 UNDER CONSTRUCTION

full

Last edited:
@Wraith it looks like you're using a link that is restricted for your images. If you upload to the gallery, right click on the image and open in a new tab it will give you the direct link that can be embedded using the image embed tool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up...
I’ve now fixed the above as you suggested.

Last edited:
French 2K Scan BD vs older US BD.
CLICK for full size...Look at the horse and the dirt on the gentlemens coat (Right, under the flag)
Looks like I am rebuilding this...

full

WORK ON VERSION has resumed.

A stand alone custom TODD AO card has been produced, and much like The Godfather Magnum opus, I am stabilising the opening credits first (CLIP WILL FOLLOW soon)

I have also created a NEW custom end credit roll.

It occured to me that the movie ends with THE END, and then is followed by 5 mins of exit music.

I have retained the exit music BUT, I firmly believe that the entire crew and cast should be credited, so I AM taking the liberty to creat the custome END CREDIT ROLL all these contributors have long deserved. Source was of course IMDB...

Below is a FINAL test for your purusal.

ENJOY

WORK ON VERSION has resumed.

A stand alone custom TODD AO card has been produced, and much like The Godfather Magnum opus, I am stabilising the opening credits first (CLIP WILL FOLLOW soon)

I have also created a NEW custom end credit roll.

It occured to me that the movie ends with THE END, and then is followed by 5 mins of exit music.

I have retained the exit music BUT, I firmly believe that the entire crew and cast should be credited, so I AM taking the liberty to creat the custome END CREDIT ROLL all these contributors have long deserved. Source was of course IMDB...

Below is a FINAL test for your purusal.

ENJOY

I really like the new end credits. It's a definite improvement. Looking forward the the completed version. Thanks.

Glenn

I really like the new end credits. It's a definite improvement. Looking forward the the completed version. Thanks.

Glenn
Thanks

I shall post the new opening titles...stabilised, with a newly restored TODD AO credit soon.

THE ALAMO BUILD V2 - UPDATE

Opening credits are now analysed and they are a real mess.

None of the 3 HD versions I have not the Japanese Laserdisc have stable credits. They are shakier than a drunk on a NY subway train!

Not only is the registration error quite distracting in a big screen, but the cross fades and how long each credit is visible for are inconsistent.

THE ALAMO caption is barely up for 35 frames but has two very long crossfades at each end. The crossfade varies from 35 frames to 70 plus. The list goes on and on.

Although there is some attempt at displaying captions in proportion to their length or importance, this too is a little hard to fathom.

I appreciate that these were created by hand and on an animation stand etc, but a polish is needed though it will be respectful of the original in every way…. Just stable.

So, with all that in mind, I’ll be re-timing the whole thing to fit with the existing soundtrack, with a few minor tweaks including finally adding in the standalone and newly created TODD AO credit, based on a photo of the actual surviving negative. I will also share that for your appraisal.

With that out of the way soon, I will be rebuilding all the inserted material but this time maximising every shot from one of the various blu rays, including the new French transfer I have aquired…and nit just dropping in deleted blocks without replacing material that is in the theatrical version. Additionally, the deleted material has had a Tooaz pass courtesy of @INIGHTMARES … so this is going to look even better than v1.

As much as I would like to use the HiFi 6 ch sound that is in the VHS, there are sync issues which I can’t overcome. Also, decent as the audio is, it cannot compete with the fidelity of the stereo track that is already correctly synced on the BD sources.

More updates to follow.

Last edited:
UPDATE and PREVIEW CLIP

Below is the newly stabilised opening credits with additional credits including the NEW TODD AO credit finally on its own.

the captions are all retimed and now consistent with some longer ehre it makes sense. the Dimitri Tiomin credit was 8 secs long, with 3 secs crossfade in and out, so he got 2 secs on his own...RIDICULOUS! This has now beed addressed.

The clip below shows the original in sync and shakey (though less obvious since it is small, so a zoomed version is included) as a picture in picture(ish)...

Enjoy

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Opening and Newly Created end credits are completed.....They are stable and have NO REGISTRATION FLUTTER...

I am now 70 mins into a deeper analysis of my LaserDisc rip, The US BD Theatrical release and the Frend BD release which has a new 2 K transfer of the Theatricl version.

Some shots have far better color timing to them on the French relase, but the audio is not as good as the US or LaserDisc versions, so I shall be retaining the audio I previously used.

I have noticed however that there is more HD material I can use from the BD versions by not transitioning to newer deleted Roadshow (RS) material too early. This will mean aligning shots from the RS version and BD's (whichever is better for each shot) and executing a perfectly aligned crossfade to the deleted material as LATE AS POSSIBLE in order to retain as much 1080 p material as possible.

When I first put this together, I took hard cut points as the transition points for adding in deleted material from the RS. This mean that some scenes used the LAserdisc source earlier than was needed inroder for the assembly to not be laborious.

Since puttnig together The Godfather Magnum Opus, I have become somewhat more picky about these things, so this is now beinf re-done in full.

I have also picked up so far on a small additional extension, which again was included previously but could again have used more HD 1080 material than I previously had.

On top of that, and now with the new TOPAZ pass on the RS material (by @INIGHTMARES ) this is going to look even better once it is completed.

Last edited:
It's been my pleasure to help on the small parts I did alongside Wraith. When I started fanediting I had no clue I'd become friends with such a great editor. Can't wait to watch the final edit.

Back
Top Bottom