• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SW EPISODE I WHAT VERSION TO GO FOR?

Hopefully, you'll like my Phantom edit when I release it this month, but considering that you have a problem with the original voices of the aliens (which I ended up keeping in my version), you might not...

JasonN said:
Hopefully, you'll like my Phantom edit when I release it this month, but considering that you have a problem with the original voices of the aliens (which I ended up keeping in my version), you might not...

It's a weird instance because on the one hand I am a born Star Wars geek (born in '83, gobbled all the merch I could my whole life until GL f'ng gets the picture and realizes the market is ripe for new movies.. and then he sh*ts on me , all of us, but my category was special. The top drivers of the market share, and the nhe releases a movie starring and aimed at those idiots in elementary school. I'd read every F'ing BOOK George! I paid for the disgrace you made. :evil: :twisted: I digress. Plus fanedits make up for it :lol:).

On the other hand I'm antiracist.

Where I'm at, while the original voices aggravate the crap out of me, I'm interested enough in fanedits and enough of a fan of SW in spite of GL that I can watch and appreciate fanedits of TPM even if they are present. Whether that will always be the case I can't say. As a fan of the extreme reforms you made to enable a philosophically worthy sequel to the Matrix, I will check out your edit for sure.

I kind of think the community should get together and try to come up with a stable set of dialogs that evoke each sentence (I thought Merrin did a great job with the TF). Then we can sort of establish a richly textured mix that editors can use in their projects.

Or we can just wait for Adywan hehe

ab5tract said:
FatherMerrin: You have won my personal award for Best TPM Edit! Great work! I've posted a review on fanedit.org and will mirror it in the Review section here.

Congratulations on receiving this most prestigious prize ;)

WOW!!!

Thanks ab5tract, this is a pleasant suprise. :)

I'm delighted you picked up on what I was trying to do with Jar Jar. It seems every edit & every fan is desperate to remove Jar Jar completely, which is fair enough :lol: , but as an editor I was trying to think outside of the box. Making Jar Jar sarcastic & likeable seemed a more interesting challenge to me than just removing him completely & the subtitles gave me the perfect vehicle to do this. Sometimes it worked better than other times but I think the overal result is Jar Jar being watchable, which is a result in & of itself. A big thanks for spotting the heightened threat with TF. For me the Original Triliogy & the Empire had hints of the Nazi's so I tried to reincorporate this undertone back into TF.

Thanks again. :smile:

FM,

I should mention that I enjoyed your edit as well. Granted, the way I watch these (in bits and pieces over several weeks) is not the best way to experience the movie, but in general I enjoyed your approach. There were several Jar Jar lines that I laughed out loud at. There were also a few lines I felt didn't work that great (and found a few spelling errors as well), but in general I thought it was very well done.

With the lesser video quality, I don't think I would make this my go-to version, but I could definitely see watching this with a group of friends to have a good laugh. Good work!

So here's a question for those of you who have seen Hal 9000's EP 1 (my next cutlist). The soundtrack seems to be slowed down noticeably from the original movie. Has anyone else noticed this? At first I thought maybe it was a PAL issue but the fanedit page says it is NTSC. I then thought it might be a problem with my computer, but I popped in both FM's EP1 and Slumberland's EP1 and they both sounded fine.

Everyone sounds a bit drunk. Could this be intentional? It would explain Jar Jar's actions :)

Does the pitch of the characters' voices change as well? (higher or lower than they should be)

I've seen that happen on a few poorly done "PAL-to-NTSC" discs, but it could also be that the video/audio framerates got screwed up somehow.

The pitch of the voices is actually what I noticed. I think the music was slower too, but I don't recall for sure, and I don't have access to the disc at the moment. I'll check it out when I have the chance.

Yep, the music is slower too. I should have been more clear - I'm no sound expert, but while the voices sound pitched lower, I think it's because the entire soundtrack is too slow. I'm not looking very closely but the lip sync seems ok, so presumably the video is slowed down as well.

I suppose the issue could be a poorly burned DVD, but I don't want to waste another blank on something I probably won't watch again. I'm hoping someone else has watched this and can either confirm or deny.

I'm going to finish the cutlist but I can't imagine watching this again, with the sound issue I'm experiencing. Frankly, there isn't very much cut out so far, which I also find disapointing. Granted I'm only about 20 min in, so perhaps more is cut later on, but to this point it's a very conservative cut.

The shame is that the video quality looks excellent.

yeah, this happens if the PAL>NTSC conversion is botched.

if the audio is not sped up (~4%) to create the PAL master, then converting the PAL master to NTSC via assumefps (which is done to reverse the speed up :) ) will be 4% slower.

you can try doing this yourself with the audio, but the video will be trickier. (try a decomb/deinterlace IVTC).

(Copied from my Cutlist Thread)

joebshmoe said:
hi blick, just wondering if you are going to be doing a comparison between all of the EP1 edits?

perhaps a matrix of sorts... ?

just wondering - i could see condensing all of this great information into an easily digestible summary being very useful.

I've decided to start looking at a comparison project, using some sort of spreadsheet format. For now I'm looking for help in deciding what items to list for comparison (dialogue, silly action, etc.). I don't plan on listing complex stuff like moving scenes around, altering music or voices, etc. I think that won't work too well in a spreadsheet format (and that is what the cutlist scripts are for anyway :) )

If you would like to make a nomination, and I would definitely appreciate it, please do so here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5923

TM2YC version, he literally "fixes" the movie. Without radical changes make the movie enjoyable. I really liked it because it feels the same movie, but good.

My suggestion: ignore Episode I. Pretend it didn't happen. Start your SW experience with Ep II. You will be so much happier. I am currently in the market for a Dr. who will remove my memories and impressions of it for good.

If you decide to follow "Fanedit" suggestion, still go for TM2YC fanedit of Ep. II. Same reasons.

Many of us actually think a well edited Ep I is the best of the three - it feels more "Star Warsy."

TV's Frink said:
Many of us actually think a well edited Ep I is the best of the three - it feels more "Star Warsy."

*raises hand*

"best" is probably not the best word choice though. "least worst" works a bit better ;)

There is probably something salvageable in TPM. The following two movies are green screen convoluted bullsh*t.

Personally I think the whole Star Wars franchise is now "old" in the obsolete or outdated sense.
Of course at the time it rejuvenated the whole space adventure genre... but nowadays after Firefly, Cowboy Bebop, Babylon 5... is well done-for.

I really liked JasonN's Attack of the Federation and Magnoliafan's Balance of the Force. Mainly do to their changes made to the Gungan and Trade Federation dialogue. The use of another language and subtitles fits perfectly in star wars and I can now believe Jar Jar isn't, well Jar Jar, and that the Gugnas are warriors. I even feel like the Trade Federation is on par with the Empire in their evil.

Back
Top Bottom