• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

SW EPISODE I WHAT VERSION TO GO FOR?

I've been working on a project to help people decide what version to go for:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4871

I uploaded the first completed script, for Slumberland's edit, to Rapidshare. For now, the link to the script is still available if you go to the above link. But given what is happening to FE.org, I don't know if it will be allowed to stay up or not. I suppose if not, there will be other ways to obtain it.

kaine23 said:
So would you think Phantom Edit is more or less required viewing for any fanedit movie fan and/or a staple in their fanedit library, if only for the commentary?

I watched The Phantom Edit last summer. Wasn't my first fanedit, but it was my first TPM edit. I've only just ecently watched my second edit, which was A Vergence in the Force. It was my favorite TPM edit so far ;)

I think The Phantom Edit is a great place to start. If you have any interest in watching it at all, you should probably watch it first, because it probably won't disappoint you at all. After you have seen some less conservative edits you might just be pissed that you had to see one of those annoying scenes

I will definitely have to check out the commentary, now that I'm making a point of watching prequel edits. I will write a review of ADM's trilogy when I'm done watching them. And I'd like to check out FatherMerrin's edit as well because of his unique approach to obfuscating Jar Jar's dialog.

I saw and loved Attack of the Phantom before seeing The Phantom Edit, and it was thus a big disappointment to me.

As I mentioned in this thread, I've now given up on Eps 1 and 3. The former had some cool action sequences, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything good about 3 apart from Williams' Battle of the Heroes track. Well, that and the
that came with it, which is far more affecting than the film itself. :p

ab5tract said:
kaine23 said:
So would you think Phantom Edit is more or less required viewing for any fanedit movie fan and/or a staple in their fanedit library, if only for the commentary?

I watched The Phantom Edit last summer. Wasn't my first fanedit, but it was my first TPM edit. I've only just ecently watched my second edit, which was A Vergence in the Force. It was my favorite TPM edit so far ;)

I think The Phantom Edit is a great place to start. If you have any interest in watching it at all, I suggest you might watch it first, because it probably won't disappoint you much in that context. If you are like me you will be thinking "Why didn't he cut that scene?" a few times, but it is better than the original. ADM's edit, however, was the first time I felt like I was watching a Start Wars film in TPM. Even in ADM's edit there are things I might have taken out, so I am interested in seeing other people's takes on TPM.

I will definitely have to check out the commentary, now that I'm making a point of watching prequel edits. I will write a review of ADM's trilogy when I'm done watching them. And I'd like to check out FatherMerrin's edit as well because of his unique approach to obfuscating Jar Jar's dialog. I am pretty sure I will see all the fanedits of TPM at some point, because there will always be a part of me hoping that someone can fully salvage it. Maybe that will be JasonN with his 20 minute version :lol:

[I've made substantial edits to this post. Somehow an old version got posted and I just noticed it. -- 15 . I . 009]

ab5tract said:
And I'd like to check out FatherMerrin's edit as well because of his unique approach to obfuscating Jar Jar's dialog.

Thanks ab5tract, my work on Jar Jar's dialog is probably the one thing I'm most proud of regarding the edit. I know lordmaul2 enjoyed my edits so you may want to speak to him about what he thought to get a non-biased opinion.

Yikes, you redid Jar-Jar's dialogue? That will make doing your cutlist a little more difficult. But I'll still give it a go at some point...

blick57 said:
Yikes, you redid Jar-Jar's dialogue? That will make doing your cutlist a little more difficult.

That's an understatement. :-D

It was a bloody nightmare cutting up Jar Jar's dialogue, :???: but it was worth it. :)

Everything Jar Jar said & the way he said it pissed my off. I think a lot of edits that don't change his voice & dialogue go for the easy option of just cutting him out as much as possible. The down side of that is that is can ruin the flow of the film & make it choppy. As I had Jar Jar speaking in a foriegn language it meant I could make him likeable & also keep more of him in & not ruin the flow of the film. For example I managed to make Jar Jar heroic in the battle scenes which is much more interesting than just cutting him out completely.

FatherMerrin said:
blick57 said:
Yikes, you redid Jar-Jar's dialogue? That will make doing your cutlist a little more difficult.

That's an understatement. :-D

It was a bloody nightmare cutting up Jar Jar's dialogue, :???: but it was worth it. :)

Everything Jar Jar said & the way he said it pissed my off. I think a lot of edits that don't change his voice & dialogue go for the easy option of just cutting him out as much as possible. The down side of that is that is can ruin the flow of the film & make it choppy. As I had Jar Jar speaking in a foriegn language it meant I could make him likeable & also keep more of him in & not ruin the flow of the film. For example I managed to make Jar Jar heroic in the battle scenes which is much more interesting than just cutting him out completely.

Well FatherMerrin, I'm about to watch your cut - and I note no-one has done a review yet......

EDIT : Just watched - some good ideas there, full review at fanedit.org

I'm still not satisfied though. I think Slumberlands or SithLords might be more satisfying for what I'm after - then again, JasonNhas decided to do one and so far, with everything in I'd like to see.

Thanks for your balanced review White43. :)
I can't argue with any of your negative points regarding choice of cuts cause it really does come down to personal opinion.. The picture issue bugs me too, I have even flirted with the idea of paying someone to redo them for me cause I just don't have the time to redo them, again. :-D

I think when it comes to the prequals the only edit anyone will ever be satisfied with is the one they make themselves.

FatherMerrin said:
I think when it comes to the prequals the only edit anyone will ever be satisfied with is the one they make themselves.

Well said FatherMerrin. I don't think there is any better way to put it. The prequels are so much different to so many people.

With every watch I think they become something different too. For me, I can barely take them anymore, and I consider myself a huge SW fan. When Ep 1 came to theaters I waited in line to see it, and watched it twice on opening day with mixed emotion. I think the stories are there, and are good (I really enjoy the novelizations), I just think the films are really junk cop-outs. There is good in them, but everyone has a different experience. I still have yet to find a series of prequels edits that satisfy me, and I think that is because I am looking for something that may not exist. There are still many takes on the prequels we have yet to see, and each of them has merit for at least a portion of fans.

I always say the more the better, even if it means more work for me :)

FatherMerrin said:

That's certainly on the money. Even some of the edits I've seen that I think are great - like Attack of the Phantom still has a couple bits that I don't like - but obviously he didn't mind them. Yes, when it comes to something personal like fanedits, this will always be the problem - that said, your edit did about 85% of things correct for me - it's a big improvement over the original. It's a shame about the picture - and you probably don't want to have to do it all again.

white43 said:
it's a big improvement over the original. It's a shame about the picture - and you probably don't want to have to do it all again.

Hell No!!! :lol:

But I am serious when I said I'd pay someone to redo them. 8)

Returning to topic, I wonder if a sort of spreadsheet that shows what has been included and what not in these Phantom Edits might be helpful?

I'm sure you've seen the work I've been doing on the cutlists :)

However, I understand that it is a lot of reading to try and compare two of the scripts side by side, let alone all of them. I've toyed with the idea of pulling the info out of the scripts into a simplified spreadsheet format, but it would be a lot more work, and so for now I'm just focused on the scripts. If someone wants to take a stab at a spreadsheet, that would be great. Otherwise I'll probably make an attempt at it sometime down the road.

FatherMerrin: You have won my personal award for Best TPM Edit! Great work! I've posted a review on fanedit.org and will mirror it in the Review section here.

Congratulations on receiving this most prestigious prize ;)

Back
Top Bottom