• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman: Son of Jor-El by Jelio & L8wrtr

vultures.jpg

I SMELL BLOOD

jelio said:
I was just saying im open to making a v1.01 (i wouldnt call it a v2.0 i dont think it would warrant it)

To always be thinking about what you might add or do better next time is the mark of a good editor, as far as I'm concerned, jelio. Best of luck with your release! :)

jelio said:
I didnt know this forum was filled with vultures! That circle at the first wiff of blood.

You've been here a year and just realized this? ;)

For better or for worse, due to a memory system failure, Son of Jor-El is complete for the time being. When I archived my DVD build and my FCP working folder, I lost all vid files over 4 gigs (stupid FAT32 formatted external drives :smash: ) Any modifications will take a pretty big effort to do and right now I want to move on to new projects.

However I will say that at some point there will be what I'd call a V1.5. Some very very tiny tweaks after the bulk of feedback has been received and I can get a feel for what people like and don't like, and then layer in a commentary track. I have an idea of how I'll counter the problem of long periods of not-altering the original. But no need to get into that now :).

Things that will be considered: tiny issues like skunksweat. Personally I don't have a problem with that line. He's a country bumpkin who just saw what amounts to magic in his eyes. But if there is enough backlash, it can find its way out of v1.5.

Things that won't be considered are anything modifying Lex's role. This edit is not about Lex. Lex is an unfortunate but necessary means to an end. To address his background, his preposterous way of finding the FOS, and talking to Jor-El would completely destroy the story we have crafted.

As it stands, when you see Jor-El in the FOS he is a sentient remnant of the real man which allows Kal-El to have a relationship with his father. To have Jor-El talk to Lex Luthor reduces him to a really fancy Holographic interactive Computer-Based Training program which has no awareness of who it is responding to rather than an echo of Jor-Els consciousness which would recognize that someone other than his son had entered the FOS. To have that footage destroys the relationship of Jor-El and Kal-El which is so crucial to this edit because it would mean that Kal-El has been essentially talking to a home movie (a-la My Life), rather than an echo of his father. The scene where Jor-El sacrifices himself to return Superman's powers would lose all its impact and Kal-El's loss would be more akin to losing your home movies, vs losing your actual father, the price of his decision isn't nearly as heavy if we explain how Lex knows what he knows.

Love him, hate him or tolerate him, Lex has a very specific purpose in this edit and it cannot be expanded beyond his current incarnation. This is something that both Jelio and I are firmly in agreement on :)

But for now, v1.5 is a ways off. Frink must be appeased or I fear I shall be tossed into the lava mines of Mustafar. Plus, I have a charming little edit I'm working on simultaneously. I think once I have completed the Prequel Trilogy I will look at dusting off Superman and giving him a 1.5 tune-up.

STANKPAC said:
I can't in good conscious call this a definitive Superman movie.

Well, I most certainly can! We've got the depth of Donner's Superman II, and the origin story of the first movie, seamlessly tied together, to create a story arc better than the two halves. Sure, there are some issues, but they are small and can be overlooked, especially for a fanedit, given the material to work with. Plus, the pacing is phenomenal. I honestly think a new movie would have to be made in order to usurp Son of Jor-El from being my definitive Superman movie.

L8wrtr said:
Frink must be appeased or I fear I shall be tossed into the lava mines of Mustafar.
Don't be ridiculous. I would never choose a poorly realized prequel planet when I could just toss you into the Sarlacc pit.

Um, as far as the whole Jor-el hologram business goes, didn't you notice that when Lex saw Jor-el the color was normal flesh looking, and when Supes spoke to Jor-el is was the white fade color like in the first film? Didn't this give us a clear distinction between "pre-recorded Jor-el" and "Spirit Jor-el"? Or was that just yet more lazy editing on Thau's part?

Either way, Selutron's video with the giant crystal for the Lex at the FOS scene fixed this problem perfectly by making the clear distinction between "Recordings" and "Spirit" Jor-el, as he said in his interview. Anyway, just finished downloading this, but it's late. Will watch first thing in the morning.

This is an audacious but uneven fan edit that is reasonably entertaining. The basic idea is to merge the first half of Superman I to the second half of Superman II, The Donner Cut. Remarkably, this turns out to be a logically sound idea and it successfully refocuses the story arc on Kal-El and his self-identity and purpose. Other Superman II edits have wrestled with the ending: how Superman fixes his bad choices and redeems himself. This version has the most satisfying and convincing resolution of them all and is the new gold standard.

This edit weaves together different sources made by different directors. Technically the edit is fine and mostly seamless. But the seams do show in the way the acting, direction, and emotional tone shift gears in abrupt and confusing ways, even where the storyline makes logical sense. For instance, the Clark-Lois romance, where Lois starts off being starstruck, then familiar and jokey in the newsroom, then distracted and sarcastic in the newlywed suite. There are also noticeable and probably unavoidable shifts in picture quality from the different sources.

In this edit, Lex Luthor is a sneaky but endearing con man with no sense of menace. I agree with the other reviewers that his introduction too abrupt, but I can overlook it because Hackman is entertaining to watch. It’s less easy to overlook the Kryptonian villains, who are cardboard cliches. Their approach to Earth and their takeover is dragged out too much, slowing down the pacing of this edit. The climactic fight plays out like a bombastic pro wrestling match and could use even more trimming. Various other sequences could also use trimming or deleting to improve the overall pacing.

Regardless of that, this edit succeeds at its main goal, and I was really drawn into the story of Kal-El’s moral challenge. I also liked how this edit was made collaboratively, a great example of the fan edit forum opening new doors to creative possibilities.

Thanks Brumous!
It really was a challenge to merge two different movies into just one, and i guess it shows in some places where the acting might seem a bit off for where certain characters should be at in their relationships. But its a balancing act is it worth adding in 20 min or 30 min or more in order to allow for a more natural relationship evolution? Personally I dont think that it is and so we are left with what we have.

As for trimming or cutting down the film even further, L8wrtr and I are open to the idea but only way down the road.

One more thing to keep in mind, in the original films the tone was very campy and not serious. The villains were jokes. When you comment that the kyrptonians give card board performances i think thats a bit beyond our capabilities as editors to fix. At least we have made the story much more serious than it originally was.

If you have time i would appreciate if you could leave your review and rating of the edit,
on the edits main page http://fanedit.org/12931/

Im glad you enjoyed it,

Thanks Jelio. I'd like to post my review to the main fanedit.org page, but I can't. When try to login, the system doesn't recognize the name & password I use for this forum. When I try to register, I get a search response that says "Sorry, no posts matched your criteria." Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Brumous!
Yes, one of the unfortunate and unavoidable aspects of telling the story we set out to tell was that the production was a jumble of styles. Sadly nothing can be done about that, the film is what it is, we set out to create a specific narrative, and I think we achieved the story we wanted to and that the sum would be greater than the individual parts, or even in spite of. I wish this story could be made from scratch, eliminating Luthor, giving more depth to the villains, and improving the production value of the final battle. Obviously that will never happen so we hope that this movie will suffice as something entertaining and satisfying.

Such is the art of fanedting :) And we'll see about getting your log-in functioning on the main site :)

Left my review on the page (gave it a 9/10) but one thing I didn't mention cuz I posted it before watching the deleted scene was I liked what you did with the Love Theme for the kiss.

Hey Tyler.

thanks for the review! I was really proud of how that deleted scene worked, even though it didn't work for the overall edit which is why I wanted it included.

Regarding the order, I do agree that pushing the missile back would have been nice from a pacing standpoint, and it was very much considered. This edit went through several iterations and from a pacing and flow standpoint I had some versions that I think were definitely improvements when you looked at it without paying attention to detail, unfortunately these versions created continuity errors. There was simply no satisfying way to make the missile sequence happen by itself without being attached his heroic coming out party.

In one version I tried having the rescue of Lois be his coming out party by itself with no other heroic events, and then after the date he goes out and does more heroics which culminate in the missile sequence. From a flow stand point I loved this version, however because all of his heroic efforts involve people not having any idea who he was, it created a continuity error that was too big to tolerate. Additionally, I had a cut where he hurled the missile into space which then drifts through space while we then return to Earth. Later it cut back to the missile as it collided with the Phantom Zone. This was just too much of a "WTF? Oh, yeah, forgot about that" moment. Given the footage available, this was, in our opinion the best compromise, which also was more in line with Jelio's initial roughcut.

Regarding 'Lex Luthor!" I know Jelio is going to be jumping up and down about this one because he lobbied really hard to remove it. It is in for two reasons. One, we the audiance haven't met Lex, but if he's the world's greatest criminal mind, if he is 'the best there is' so good in fact that he was able to figure out where Superman lives, then the world knows him. This is a comic book world after all with larger than life bad guys. Lois Lane would certainly know about the worlds greatest criminal mastermind, even if we just met him.
The second reason is more practical. There is simply no way to cut it out with all the other pieces we cut. There is a lot of camp and silliness that we removed which was far more useless "this is the son of Jor-El?" Jimmy taking pictures of Nom, Lois talking back to Ursa, all of these really needed to be moved, but without those, there is no way to cut Lois line because the scene before that is Lex walking in, and then Lex responding. I could find no satisfying way to cut her line and keep the flow of the scene working well.

Sadly I never noticed the 3 repeated frames of the chopper or I'd have cut them. Perhaps in 1.5 :)

Anyhow, I'm glad that you enjoyed it overall and thank you for the review!!

EDT: Oh, one last comment, the diner scene was just for fun. Often times you see credits roll and then they pause to show you something some quick snippet. This was simply a nod to that type of close. We wanted to include that footage just for fun. I placed it far enough back in the credits that I felt it would be just a humorous addition and not taken as the literal end of the movie.

L8wrtr said:
Regarding 'Lex Luthor!" I know Jelio is going to be jumping up and down about this one because he lobbied really hard to remove it.

Hahahaha I told you so!

No need for Lois to recognize Luthor and call out his name when she sees him, it raises more questions than it answers.
Case in point when Tyler watched it for the first time he came away with that question.

Im not jumping up and down but i definitely will be suggesting this makes its way into v1.5 :-D

Watched it. really nice work.
There's some very nice flair and style that promises of greatness to come.

couple of things stuck out. nothing major.
when you do your logos at start, are they separate movies joined through dvd architecture or are there one movie together with the feature? the reason i ask is because after each of your logos i hear the audio cutting out prematurely. together with a pop.
I recommend next time to add at least 1second of black at start and end of any movie. i use 3 seconds of black.
this allows for a very clean start when building your dvd.
i also suggest you make the logos part of the feature. so its all together.

On to the feature. I hadn't seen it it for a looooong time. Boy does this one need a reboot.
Some of the humour left me cold. You left the Rex Reed cameo in? and the mugging? the telephone booth? these were corny in the seventies. now they're just painful.

one thing that really stuck out was when the criminals arrive on the moon, they kill 2 astronauts then we go to earth as superman has a date with lois and then we stay with them until next morning when Lois jumps out the building and then we return to the moon and no time has elapsed. mission control is not even worried.

The luthor situation. you should have introduced him. in act 1. he doesn't have to do anything but just rant about superman. so then it pays off in act 3.
i know you wanted to avoid all of S1 and luthor's hijinks but just meeting him is all we need. i don't remember the movie enough to tell you scenes but introducing him is a must.

The ending. if you ever do a version 2 i suggest you don't fly lois back home and leave her in tears.
when i'm editing i always ask myself "what is the perfect scene that goes here" whether i have that scene or not.
immediately after lex says "we're in the north pole" drop him jail and then lois and clark back at work at the Planet.
the adventure continues. she knows and will keep his secret. they look at each other knowingly as clark leaves to become superman and solve another problem.

OR how about this, remember the ending of ANIMAL HOUSE or AMERICAN GRAFFITTI? we visit each character and freeze frame them with text telling us what happened to them:
"LEX LUTHOR IS STILL THE GREATEST CRIMINAL MIND OF HIS AGE. HE SHOULD GET OUT IN 2010"
"JIMMY OLSEN BECAME VARIOUS SUPERHEROES INCLUDING ELASTIC LAD, MR ACTION, FLAMEBIRD AND GIANT TURTLE. HE STILL WORKS FOR THE DAILY PLANET"
You get the idea.

All I'm saying is to really strive to think outside the box. keep editing. Don't settle for just what you have. keep editing. And above all consider the audience. Just because it's a fanedit doesn't mean the audience becomes dumb.
A fanedit looks like a movie and it should work like a movie.
Ask yourself would your buddy recommend others to pay $15 to see this?
everything is on your side: there's no deadline and you have the entirety of hollywood films to harvest. keep editing and make it work.

Anyways, nicely done. looking forward to a lot from you two.

I'm glad to see both killbillme and STANKPAC agree that a v2 would truly rocket this fanedit to greatness. I was almost too embarrassed to ask for it myself, since this thing really got me hyped up in the first place. I too got bored with nearly every single Superman feature having Luthor as its main villain, so Son of Jor-El was really going to be the big one for me. Unfortunately my enthousiasm got hampered (by other reviews) before I could even start the download.
The awkward time frame placing of the moon and Lois' date, with the non-introductory pop-up of Luthor kind of did it. I'm really hoping for a v2 because I'm pretty sure that would make it my all-time favourite Superman film, in all ways official, edited, or animated!
Will you consider a v2, L8wrtr/jelio? (One can only ask, politely) :)
EDIT: the trailer gave me chills, by the way ;-)

Hi Galen,

I really think its worth trying the movie, rather than holding out for the next release, first.

My interpretation of the reviews is that the movie is great as is, but that this forum is filled with fan editors that see things always with and editors eye and therefore will always come up with suggestions for any release.

The comments regarding Lex Luthor sadly we really are not planing on doing anything about.
As for some small cuts of dialogue like removing the words "Skunksweat" or lois saying "lex luthor" i dont think are major enough to wait for another release.

Regarding the flow of the moon scenes alongside the Clark and Lois scenes, i really would have to re watch to see what can be done.

So if you are looking for an enjoyable fanedit go ahead and download this one, its a new twist on two familiar old movies.
But if you are a perfectionist and only able to enjoy a movie that has every single cut that you want it to have then i guess it isnt for you.

All i can say is people seem to like it even though it has a couple things they might have done differently.

jelio said:
this forum is filled with fan editors that see things always with and editors eye and therefore will always come up with suggestions for any release.
We all see things with editor's eyes. we are moving into a fifth generation that was brought up with movies and tv and visual story-telling. It's a language and we all speak it. No one needs to go to university to watch a movie and to know whether it works or not.
That's why there are countless movie and tv review blogs. They're ordinary folk dealing with the ordinary.
What's special here at fanedit.org is that we can actually do something about it. But as someone once said "with great power comes great responsability". :)

Back
Top Bottom