• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman: Son of Jor-El by Jelio & L8wrtr

For those interested in downloading a fanedit NOW and not having to deal with faulty links, may i suggest you visit my humble release.
You can also check ou the magnificent artwork by the team of Rogue and Jorge.
and have a happy holidays to all.

L8wrtr said:
Bloodsport-ChongLeeYouAreNext.gif

I can't tell you how almost genius this edit is. I really, really can't. You both have done tremendous work and it shows.

However...

Lex Luthor really ruins it. He is so ancillary, you can still cut him. Granted, it'll take a whole bunch of effects work that is much easier for me to tell you to do than for y'all to actually do it. He comes out of nowhere in the last 30 minutes of the film and leads our villains to the Daily Planet. If the Daily Planet is the home of the best Superman news, including Lois Lane, who did a one on one interview with the dude. It would make sense that, if the President says that there is one man who will not kneel to their feet, then that sets up their quest to rid the world of Superman.

Play out Clark regaining his powers, then the three storming the Daily Planet, then the giant fight. When Superman runs away, have them simply chase him. They kidnap Lois Lane, Zod can say, "I hope you're not wasting my time," they land and then...then, I don't know.

I just know that, as it stands, Lex Luthor comes out of nowhere, somehow knows all of Superman's essential information, and serves as a plot device instead of a character. As a viewer, I have to know how he knows all of this besides him being the world's greatest criminal mastermind.

Again, I cannot reiterate how much I enjoyed this edit, which I enjoyed tremendously, and everything else worked absolutely perfectly. I mean it. It's just the issue up there and you've crafted the perfect Superman film.

Great, great job!

Wow thanks so much for the great response, im very happy to hear you enjoyed our edit.

Now if you dont my mind, would you be so kind as to post your comment/review on the Son of Jor El page http://fanedit.org/12931/
People need to know if its good or bad and that only happens with reviews and ratings. You can be the first!

As for your comments regarding Lex Luthor we both knew all along that his presence at the end of the film would be an issue, however we tried to minimize the WTF moments as much as possible. Even in scenes were he appears we have trimmed out references from him to events the viewer never sees. But alas we only have the material that we have and digitally removing Luthor from all his scenes would be really difficult. I was hoping Luthors explanation to Zod of "im about the best there is" would be enough for the viewer to accept his introduction as such.

Hey eldiablosuizo

Thanks for the kind words as to the quality of the job overall and I'm glad that for the most part you seemed to have enjoyed it.

Because the point you bring up is valid I wanted to let you know how Jelio and I approached this aspect of the film (and this is one of the things I regret not being able to do a commentary track about)

First, we share your opinion that the movie would be stronger if Lex could be removed entirely. If I were to write this story from scratch, Lex would simply be written out and the result would be a better movie. Unfortunately we don't have the benefit of a blank page, as the movie was filmed, without Lex playing into Superman's hand inside the FOS, not even the greatest digital eraser in the world can explain the molecule chamber to Zod,

Even if I had the talent to convincingly remove him, given the footage we have, the end would go like this:

"You win Zod" says Superman as Lex tells Ursa to kill Lois.
Superman walks into molecule chamber without explaining to Zod what it is, why he is walking into it or how it signals his surrender.
Everything is red, Superman comes out.
Superman throws Zod into the abyss, Nom jumps to his death, Lois punches Ursa, all without explanation.​

IMO, this would have created more WTF moments than Lex showing up at the White House.
While not ideal:
  1. Lex Introduces himself to Zod (and the audiance).
  2. Lex explains that he knows everything because hes a genius criminal and the best that there is.
  3. Zod and company accept this explanation without pressing further, it does not matter to them (and really, I don't want to hear about Alpha waves. ALPHA WAVES?)

Again it was not our first choice and I even tried to propose a way to work him in earlier but it would have added 20 unrewarding minutes of screen time just to tell us that Luthor used alpha waves (ALPHA WAVES!?!) to track Superman to the North pole. 20 minutes of useless footage that would kill the pace and distract from the real story :(

As with all Fanedits, you have to work within the confines of the material available to tell the story you want and while he becomes 1-dimensional, Lex at least answers the important questions of who he is and why he knows what he knows, and does not create any continuity errors.

Given our goals for the edit was to focus is on Superman, his evolution and the triangle of him, his father and Lois, I think we used Lex as best we could given the footage at our disposal. We knew that there would be a portion of viewers who felt that Lex's appearance was odd, but given our goals and materials, it was the best compromise. Our hope is that people will focus on the dynamic that we explore, and give a free pass to Lex, but I also understand anyone that says, Nahh.. not for me..

I hope that you were still able to enjoy the film despite Lex. We feel that we did the best that we could given the narrative we set out to tell.

Up up! And away!!

haha! Or what Jelio said in fewer words:)

^ This.

I have absolutely no problem with what remains of Lex in the movie. Making up one's own theories on how the hell did he find out all that info, will invariably result in a better explanation than the lame one that the movie gave. Plus. I HATED the fact that, in the original, Jor-El would communicate with someone other than his son (apparently not noticing whom he's talking to!)

Watched this the other night and overall as a whole I somewhat enjoyed it, but just barely. There are quite a few things that hinder it from being a great edit. However, the biggest compliment I can give you two is that you were able to construct a consistent story out of 2 movies. It finally felt that Superman actually had a really threat to face. People from his own planet, with the same powers.....actual villians!

Here in lies one of the major problems with this edit though, that was even mentioned by eldiablosuizo. In the original movie we all know he faces off against Lex Luthor and you might be saying to yourself, "Who really cares?". True Lex, for all his scheming is no match for Superman and isn't really a suitable villain, but he serves a purpose in the long run. In this edit Lex has been truncated down to an afterthought and not considered important. There is no background information on who this character is, why he is in this movie, and more importantly why I should care. Lex Luthor shows up out of nowhere for absolutely no reason, none whatsoever. He comes in telling Zod that not only is he searching for Superman, but the actual Son of Jor El. WTF? How does he know this? Takes them to the Daily Planet to capture Lois and tells them that they are an item. Superman and Lois only had one interview or date if you want to call it that. But, he seems to know this plus knows exactly where the Fortress of Solitude is. That is stretching it a bit thin on the whole suspension of disbelief meter, if you ask me! Secondly, the same thing can be said for Lois Lane. Clark reveals himself to the world by saving Lois in the chopper and does a few heroic acts to save the city of Metropolis. Of course, since she is the main character she is going to get the exclusive interview with Superman. After that one night with Superman and the way this edit is cut, the very next day she has already figured out Clark is Superman. Wow, I don't know about you but that is some unbelievable intuition. Then right after that you inserted from the Donner Cut the shooting him with the gun, "It is you!" "I guess I've always known!". Huh? Known what, after one interview! So much for the disguise there Kal-El!

Other things I didn't like was that you left in "Holy skunk sweat!" Really? The floating shotgun looks pretty lame. Right after the launch of the missile by none other than John Ratzenberger, the villians are released from the Phantom Zone. However, the scene after Superman talks to Jor-El, you have the scene with the space station checking up on the astronauts on the moon, but John Ratzenberger is there playing a totally different character. Didn't make sense to me. During the fight around Metropolis, the scene when Superman catches that tower and puts it all gingerly on top of Non, I always found that to be utterly ridiculous. Get the crap up! You have superpowers damn it! No I'll just lay here like a tortoise on it's back, "Please help, I can't move this measely bar!" Wuss. Now the Daily Planet itself. That must be the best piece of real estate I have ever seen with the best view. I mean they are fighting all around various areas in Metropolis, but for some reason everyone in the Daily Planet and even including the people on the street can see everything that is going on in the fight! **WARNING** Suspension of disbelief meter verging on critical!**

Technical Aspects:
Video: Overall I thought the video looked fine. No real faults, considering they are 30 year old movies. Nice job.
8 out of 10

Audio: This was actually quite good. I only noticed one really hard cut. That was when young Clark goes to the Fortress of Solitude, meets his true father, and Jor-El begins to tell him who he is. When the mask is coming towards the screen the audio actually goes silent for a few seconds in mid speech. Found that to be strange. I think that was the only hiccup.
9 out of 10 stars

Editing: Throwing out my long winded rant about the problems I had with this edit, this was a very well edited fan-edit. Like I said before you combined 2 films pretty seamlessly, but of course at the expense of a certain character. I liked how you eliminated the guy in the boat watching them arrive on Earth. You eliminated the silly scenes after with Non and the twig, and Ursa and the snake. You eliminated the stupid line by Zod, "The Planet Hooston!". I liked how you shortened some of the fight around Metropolis to get rid of some of the poor flying effects. No stupid voice over by Lois or her falling from the sky. Glad that nonsense is gone. I especially like how you ended with Lois's line, "Up, Up and away!", and then showing Superman flying over the Earth off camera. The one qualm I had was when the credits roll it stopped in mid-music and then shows the whole scene of him getting back at the guy at the diner. Then fades out and credits continue to roll. I think it would have been better at the end of the credits, instead of showing the Alternate Ending sequence. Other than that, well done!
9 out of 10 stars

Entertainment: Like I said before, I was entertained but just barely. I know some of the stuff was a little critical, but I can't in good conscious call this a definitive Superman movie. Don't let me dissuade anyone from downloading it because it is edited really well, except for a few niggles. I just feel if this movie was tightened up a little more, you would have a really close to perfect Superman movie.
7 out of 10 stars

Overall: 8 out of 10 stars. I'll kick it up a star because of the sheer daunting task of combining two movies and for the most part make it work!

Good Job L8wrtr and Jelio :)

STANKPAC said:
I only noticed one really hard cut. That was when young Clark goes to the Fortress of Solitude, meets his true father, and Jor-El begins to tell him who he is. When the mask is coming towards the screen the audio actually goes silent for a few seconds in mid speech. Found that to be strange. I think that was the only hiccup.
So I'm not insane after all! I noticed it too, but L8 didn't cut anything there and he can hear the line in his files. WTF?

DwightFry78 said:
So I'm not insane after all! I noticed it too, but L8 didn't cut anything there and he can hear the line in his files. WTF?
I don't know what caused that to happen. At first I thought it was a player issue on my computer, but I replayed it a few times and sure enough the audio just goes dead. :-(

Hi Stankpac,

Regarding Lex's introduction in the movie, ive commented on it above. Basically i feel this method is an improvement over the original method. In the original Lex builds an ALPHA wave tracking machine while in jail and then takes a hot air balloon to the north pole. So although not perfect i think its an improvement over the original.

Regarding Lois finding out Clark is Superman so quickly, i was looking for that to happen. I prefer a "smart" lois to a dumb lois. In the original it takes her forever to realize Clark is Superman. How bad of a reporter is she supposed to be not to recognize that her coworker is Superman, when his only disguise is a hat and glasses! However i do see your point that some of her dialogue isnt perfect like "ive known for the longest time"

Regarding "Holy Skunksweat" and the floating gun, those were both in the original and are a different type of criticism because they are things we didnt touch and that dont create any plot holes in respect to the editing of the two films together. I do agree with you though that the "Holy Skunksweat" should go. As for the floating Shot gun i dont really see an alternative to the original.

The metropolis fight stuff like crushing Non again was in the original, i guess it could go too, but you cant cut so much that the fight becomes too short.

I agree with the suggestion to put the bully revenge dinner scene at the end end instead of in the middle of the credits, but thats a very minor issue for me.

The key problems i feel are the ones we created by merging the two movies, the problems of stuff we left in and were present in the originals i dont feel are as problematic or needing of defense.

Look, L8wrtr and Jelio, all I'm saying is that the only way to do this is to go in Adywan style, rebuild a full scale Fortress of Solitude, get some voice actors, rotoscope the existing footage into the new plates you'll film, hire John Williams to do new score, upscale to a 35mm print, do a distribution plan, get into 3,000 theaters, and then you'll have a perfect film. It's that simple!

I kid, I kid.

But, seriously, you should definitely do a commentary track. Two editors bouncing off one another whilst geeking out at the same time? It'll be awesome. And I give you all permission to post my review on the actual page, as I do not have a wordpress account or whatever you need to put it on there.

jelio said:
Regarding Lex's introduction in the movie, ive commented on it above. Basically i feel this method is an improvement over the original method. In the original Lex builds an ALPHA wave tracking machine while in jail and then takes a hot air balloon to the north pole. So although not perfect i think its an improvement over the original.

Oh i agree, the original was ridiculous and so over the top campy. I laugh every time I see that stupid fake bald cap that Hackman is wearing. Yikes.

jelio said:
Regarding Lois finding out Clark is Superman so quickly, i was looking for that to happen. I prefer a "smart" lois to a dumb lois. In the original it takes her forever to realize Clark is Superman. How bad of a reporter is she supposed to be not to recognize that her coworker is Superman, when his only disguise is a hat and glasses! However i do see your point that some of her dialogue isnt perfect like "ive known for the longest time"

I agree here also that it makes her a smarter reporter. I mean you don't want the head reporter to be a dingbat. However, just goes to show how stupid and oblivious everyone at the Daily Planet is, including the Editor and Chief, Perry White! :oops:

jelio said:
Regarding "Holy Skunksweat" and the floating gun, those were both in the original and are a different type of criticism because they are things we didnt touch and that dont create any plot holes in respect to the editing of the two films together. I do agree with you though that the "Holy Skunksweat" should go. As for the floating Shot gun i dont really see an alternative to the original.

True they don't create any plot holes, but they could have been taken out. I believe Booshman's Superman II edit accomplished that. Just cuts to the deputy bringing up the shotgun, back to the Kryptonians, and then shows Zod grabbing the gun in a flash using superspeed.

jelio said:
The metropolis fight stuff like crushing Non again was in the original, i guess it could go too, but you cant cut so much that the fight becomes too short.

I agree you don't want the fight to be too short, but to have something stupid like that is ridiculous. Think about it, Zod gets blasted by his own eye beam and he is fine. Gets hurled like 3 football fields into the Coca-Cola sign, dusts him self off and continues on. But, Non gets thrown into the tower, waits for Superman to catch the tower, bringing it up over him, and then gingerly put it on top of him with a simple bar holding him down. Yikes. The guy is built like a Mac truck! If the situation was reversed, people would be rolling their eyes going, "Your Superman Damnit, the most powerful superhero, get the hell up!" :frusty:

jelio said:
I agree with the suggestion to put the bully revenge dinner scene at the end end instead of in the middle of the credits, but thats a very minor issue for me.

At least we agree on something. LOL. :smile:

STANKPAC said:
I agree here also that it makes her a smarter reporter. I mean you don't want the head reporter to be a dingbat. However, just goes to show how stupid and oblivious everyone at the Daily Planet is, including the Editor and Chief, Perry White! :oops:
Well, keep in mind that no one at the Daily Planet except for Lois gets the chance to take a good close look at Supes. Sure, there are photographs and such, but it's not the same than having seen him directly standing in front of you. Photographs can be very misleading.

DwightFry78 said:
Well, keep in mind that no one at the Daily Planet except for Lois gets the chance to take a good close look at Supes. Sure, there are photographs and such, but it's not the same than having seen him directly standing in front of you. Photographs can be very misleading.
Point well said Dwight! :) This is just for my own curiosity by only referencing the original film and not this fan-edit because the whole sequence has been edited out. After Superman saves Lois from being buried alive in her car, isn't it Jimmy Olsen that comes running up to the two of them. The three of them just standing there looking at each other making sure each person is alright, before Superman flies off. The same Jimmy Olsen that corrects many of Lois's spelling errors that she needs help on before she completes her articles for Perry White. I don't know about Lois being the only one to get a good close look at Superman and Clark Kent. Hmm, I'm just saying! LOL. :oops:

Will there be a v2.0 dvd release with commentary? That'd be pretty sweet. Though, I know that commentaries can be a hard thing to do. I've attempted them before and wasn't able to successfully come up with a good commentary.

Im open to having a v2.0 with a commentary track,

And maybe a couple small changes like removing "Holy Skunksweat"

So this is back to IN-THE-WORKS?
L8wrtr You bringing a a knife to a gunfight?
you break my heart son. I don't know if I should kill you or adopt you.

son_i_am_disappoint_trollcat.jpg

Jorge, I don't know why this would go back to IN-THE-WORKS. I assume it would just get a second release down the road.

Okay woh hold up, i spoke too soon....

I didnt know this forum was filled with vultures! That circle at the first wiff of blood.

A commentary track isnt required, but if we at some point decide to make one we may as well cut out the "holy Skunksweat" line as well.

This is not currently planed and the movie stands on its own as is.

I was just saying im open to making a v1.01 (i wouldnt call it a v2.0 i dont think it would warrant it)

Back
Top Bottom