• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman II - The Expanded Richard Donner Cut

I wonder if you've heard of another Superman project that attempts to reflect the original intentions by Donner.

Don't forget, there's that one cut that came out in the IFDB recently.

I haven't seen the Green Cut.
The Green Cut was never completed. Unless Skip finished it for himself and didn't tell me. I did the dvd menus and artwork for the RIC. The RIC was meant to pave the way to the Green Cut, but when it received the attention that it did on Celebrity Justice and Entertainment Weekly - the WB told him to stop. So last I knew, the Green Cut was never finished and in truth - having Donner's Cut was always what Skip really wanted, and we go that.

The Green Cut was never completed. Unless Skip finished it for himself and didn't tell me. I did the dvd menus and artwork for the RIC. The RIC was meant to pave the way to the Green Cut, but when it received the attention that it did on Celebrity Justice and Entertainment Weekly - the WB told him to stop. So last I knew, the Green Cut was never finished and in truth - having Donner's Cut was always what Skip really wanted, and we go that.
Where can I find information on the Green Cut? It sounds like an interesting case.

Honestly it was early 2000s, I'm not sure any of it is still online. There was an interview given to the Superman Cinema website, but that's no longer running. Dharmesh closed it down, i think it might be in the archives on Caped Wonder still, but not sure on that. Supermanhomepage might still have something on it - Steve Younis would know where to find it in that case.

For any interested - information about the Restored International Cut of Superman II is still available on the address below, and it looks like some of the original bits are still available there. You can see the artwork and the packaging, and someone there was offering access to it at the time of the posting and i think the links to the artwork are still working. This was to be the opening salvo, a restoration of Superman II before we dove into the Green Cut which never came about. The cease and desist gave us reason to pause, but it was ultimately the announcement that Donner was going to officially release the Donner Cut that caused the Green Cut to die. No need to move forward if Donner would be giving the chance to bring his own vision to life.

originaltrilogy.com/topic/Superman-II-The-Restored-International-Cut-Released/id/7737

and the superman homepage still has a 6 paged review up on the RIC if you're interested.
supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=sup2-RIC-review6

Cheers.

I'd honestly like to read more about the cease-and-desist letter from WB.

I'd honestly like to read more about the cease-and-desist letter from WB.
All I can tell you about the letter is what I remember. The RIC was being distributed for free within the fan community largely arranged through the SupermanCinema discussion boards. Word of this effort got out and we got more attention than we anticipated. An article in Entertainment Weekly was published and a couple minutes were devoted to it on an episode of Celebrity Justice. Both were owned by the WB so it wasn't surprising that the WB wasted no time in sending a cease & desist. Made for great press when they announced the Donner Cut in truth. Thankfully those that had requested copies already had them and the attention led to Donner returning to finish his cut of Superman II, so our fanedit effort bore the fruits we really hoped to see. The Restored International Cut of Superman II was only the first stage of a 2 film project. First - restore as much of the known Donner footage available, and then the Green Cut - which would have been an attempt to create a film that was more in keeping with Donner's original film. With Donner's Cut finally greenlit, the Green Cut was shelved, the efforts bore the fruit we wanted and the cease & desist went away as quickly as it came.

As someone who doesn't like either Lester or Donner cuts of Superman II, I prefer Donner's due to the extended white house scene, in all its glory. They both feel like the original vision was left unfinished, cobbled together with different pieces completed by other people (Theatrical: Donner->Lester) (DC: Donner->Thau). Bobson Dugnutt mentioned the great parts, so I'll mention Donner has more Lex dialogue, which fall flat for me. And if you really scrutinize them back to back, you'll notice couple different takes of the same scene (kryptonians @ daily planet)

Biggest debated difference on the internet: do you prefer Lois finding out about Superman's secret identity via pink bear trip? or do you prefer Lois finding out on her own (which can also be pretty ridiculous)

also no cellophane S lol
Hello. I'm new to this site. Can someone tell me how I can view the Donner Expanded Cut?

That aspect, I love. Her upfront investigating and figuring Clark out is in line with Lois from the comics and other media. How she goes about it though, jumping off a building is a HUGE leap of faith, and suggests some sort of psychosis. Lester really should've just re-filmed the same scene but tweak / cut that part. Also Clark is a troll (Lois, what have you done?!)

The gun contradicts Superman I. If Superman can see the bullet from that mugger and catch it in front of Lois with his hand, he should've seen her firing a blank and know there's no bullet. Then he could've acted like "omg, i'm still alive" then "Lois wtf"
Hello. I'm new to this site. Can someone tell me how I can view the Donner Expanded Cut?

Welcome to fanedit.org, you need to message @Bobson Dugnutt directly, click on the editor's name on one of their posts and then on "Start conversation".

Hope this helps, asking for edits on the public forum (barring the trades and requests thread) is not allowed.

Welcome to fanedit.org, you need to message @Bobson Dugnutt directly, click on the editor's name on one of their posts and then on "Start conversation".

Hope this helps, asking for edits on the public forum (barring the trades and requests thread) is not allowed.
I never seen Superman II The Expanded Richard Donner Cut, I do watch Superman II Richard Donner Cut on DVD and blu ray. Some people have seen Superman II The Expanded Richard Donner Cut because of the reviews. I thank @Bobson Dugnutt for doing his expanded version. I have no idea how i can see that expanded version. I wish everyone a happy new year. I wish I can one day see the expanded Donner cut.

Back
Top Bottom