• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Superman II - The Expanded Richard Donner Cut

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jc9QKyj.png

Superman II has had it's history of different cuts both official (Theatrical, TV Cuts, Donner and the Vudu/iTunes Donner Cut) and unofficial (Green Cut, Restored International, Booshman, etc.) so it's nothing new to redit the film.

This uses the Donner cut as a base, but adding back in footage from the Theatrical Cut (and other sources) where it's not terrible or just expands the film in a good way. There's no Paris terrorist attack, East Idaho antics, Bear rug, memory erasing kiss or any other terrible Lester scenes. I aimed to purely add back scenes that don't comprimise the film or what Donner had shot. I didn't want to replace scenes.

Sources
Theatrical Cut (TC)
Donner Cut Vudu/iTunes (RDV)
Deleted Scene (DS)

ADDITIONS
- shot of ursla flying on the moon (TC)
- longer shot of Zod pulling the Soviet Cosmonaut (TC)
- added establishing shot of "Metropolis, NY" (TC)
- added longer shot of the Prison Guard (played by Gold Leader) walking past the cells (TC)
- added Guard walking back in front of Lex's projector a 2nd time (TC)
- added Lex and Miss Teschmacher waving at Otis as they leave the prison (TC)
- added Lex and Miss Teschmacher on their snowmobile as they discuss the Fortress (DS)
- added extended Jor-El dialogue as he aludes to the fact that the Phantom Zone may be cracked open, and the villians may escape (RDV)
- extended post-Jor-El hologram as Lex talks to himself as Miss Teschmacher finds the Fortress' toilet (RDV)
- added Lois realising that Clark wasn't around for Superman saving the kid falling from Niagra Falls (TC)
- added Lex and Miss Teschmacher riding on their snowmobile back from the Fortress, but picking up readings on the three Kryptonians (DS)
- added Superman showing Lois around the Fortress, after which he goes shopping for something to eat (TC)
- added the East Idaho Sheriff telling the Deputy "if you wanna be a peacemaker, you gotta kick ass" (TC/RDV)
- added longer shot of Zod lasering his shotgun (TC)
- added Zod calling the shotgun a noisemaker and throwing it under the car (TC/RDV)
- added Lois and Superman making a super-soufflee (DS/RDV)
- added extended dinner with Lois and Superman (TC/RDV)
- added extended shot of the news reporter as he has an extra line of dialogue (TC/RDV)
- added Non using his heat vision a 2nd time, with the Jeep now crashing through the building (TC/RDV)
- added a bar patreon escaping the building that Zod set on fire, with a quick exchange between Ursla and Zod (TC/RDV)
- added the reporter commenting on the military as they ready to attack the Kryptonians (TC/RDV)
- added extended version of the helicoptor approaching (TC/RDV)
- added extra close-up of Ursla walking towards Zod as they're being shot upon (TC)
- added extended version of Ursla blowing the helicoptor into the barn (TC/RDV)
- added extended close-up of Ursla in the Oval Office before Lex walks in (TC)
- added theatrical version of Clark finding the Green Crystal to the Donner re-powering scene due to continuity with an earlier added Theatrical scene (TC)
- recoloured both scenes to match one-another
- added extra shot of Lex walking into the Daily Planet offices (TC)
- added Theatrical version of Superman approaching the Daily Planet (TC)
- added extra shot of Zod flying (TC)
- added Zod telling Non and Ursla to get Superman (TC)
- added shot of the crowd cheering on Superman (TC)
- added extra shot of Superman carrying the tower (TC)
- added extended scene of Zod blowing up cars (TC)
- added extra close-up of Zod using his heat vision on the truck (TC)
- added Ursla telling Non to lift the bus, with some extended shots of them doing so (TC)
- added extended shot of the bus passengers escaping the capsized bus (TC)
- added Ursla telling Zod they should take Lois to the Fortress as she grabs her around the throat (TC)
- added the Kryptonians trying and failing to get into the Fortress, before resorting to brute force (DS)
- added the US Polar Patrol arresting Lex outside of the Fortress as he pleads with Superman (DS)
- added Jimmy showing off his new camera to Clark as he also gets shoved by a bully at the Daily Planet, reminding him of the Diner patreon (DS)

Donner Cut - 1:55:52
Extended DC - 2:07:31

Time Added - 11:39

I haven't finished editing yet, I've only done the basic visual edit, slotting back in all the material that I wanted to use, none of the audio work has been done yet.

Here's a first pass at trying to get the Lester Fortress to look like the Donner one

8GyOI6g.png

GSSp6BI.png

yoIbon2.png

72XuOKQ.png

Here's roughly what I'm trying to match (the Donner footage)

HGALaIV.png

6H4gHB0.png

It's not perfect yet, but close. The continuity with the blood and bruises isn't dead on either, but I might try to fix it somehow. Ebsynth maybe?

I've also done work to upscale the SD Deleted Scenes to HD and they don't look bad.

oEhBy6G.png

S2z19mp.png

OxRgB1u.png

AMLhEVs.png

Colour work is still yet to finalise, and the audio is way off, but it's always a WIP. Hopefully one day the SMII TV Cut will dee the light of day on Blu-Ray, much like how the SM1 TV Cut did, so that I could use those scenes, but alas that's unlikely for now.

Last edited:
I've never actually seen the Donner Cut. Is it really that big of an improvement over the Theatrical Cut? Are all digital version of the DC the "iTunes/Vudu" version you mentioned? Is that different from the DVD version?

I've never actually seen the Donner Cut. Is it really that big of an improvement over the Theatrical Cut? Are all digital version of the DC the "iTunes/Vudu" version you mentioned? Is that different from the DVD version?

I would say it's very much an improvement over the Theatrical Cut, as it matches Superman: The Movie far more and the Lois/Superman relationship is a lot better. Adding Brando back in gives it a little more gravitas and continuity with the first film more. The score has been redone, sound effects, visual effects, a lot of editing done from scratch, it's the Snyder Cut of it's day.

The Vudu/iTunes release of the film is an extended Donner Cut that is different to the DVD/Blu-Ray. It adds most of the East Idaho antics from the three Kryptonians, as well as some more stuff with Lex/Teshmacher in the Fortress, as well as one scene that was only added in TV Cuts and presented as a deleted scene on the Donner Blu-Ray. I don't think every digital retailer has this strange version, but iTunes and Vudu definitly still do.

I haven't seen the Green Cut.
Niether have I, but it was created as a prelude to the RIC, adding back most TV scenes but not all.

Here's my version of the re-powering scene, with a bit of regrading to match in the theatrical footage.

And also the new upscaled ending, with Luthor's arrest

As someone who doesn't like either Lester or Donner cuts of Superman II, I prefer Donner's due to the extended white house scene, in all its glory. They both feel like the original vision was left unfinished, cobbled together with different pieces completed by other people (Theatrical: Donner->Lester) (DC: Donner->Thau). Bobson Dugnutt mentioned the great parts, so I'll mention Donner has more Lex dialogue, which fall flat for me. And if you really scrutinize them back to back, you'll notice couple different takes of the same scene (kryptonians @ daily planet)

Biggest debated difference on the internet: do you prefer Lois finding out about Superman's secret identity via pink bear trip? or do you prefer Lois finding out on her own (which can also be pretty ridiculous)

also no cellophane S lol

Biggest debated difference on the internet: do you prefer Lois finding out about Superman's secret identity via pink bear trip? or do you prefer Lois finding out on her own (which can also be pretty ridiculous)
How is it ridiculous? It's a credit to her intelligence.

How is it ridiculous? It's a credit to her intelligence.
That aspect, I love. Her upfront investigating and figuring Clark out is in line with Lois from the comics and other media. How she goes about it though, jumping off a building is a HUGE leap of faith, and suggests some sort of psychosis. Lester really should've just re-filmed the same scene but tweak / cut that part. Also Clark is a troll (Lois, what have you done?!)

The gun contradicts Superman I. If Superman can see the bullet from that mugger and catch it in front of Lois with his hand, he should've seen her firing a blank and know there's no bullet. Then he could've acted like "omg, i'm still alive" then "Lois wtf"

I think if Donner had finished the film, and he actually "shot" (hehe) the blank bullets scene, there would've obviously been additional dialogue, and I'd imagine it would've something at least a little similar to Superman subconsciously "outing" himself to Lois, because deep down he really wanted to.

As for what we got, I think Selutron came up with a decent compromise (though granted, the effects definitely don't look as good as they did in 240p back in 2007 when he was making all these edits):

Looks really good!
What program are you using to Upscale the deleted scenes? They look pretty impressive!

Can't wait to see this and agree. the up-scaling is impressive. That split screen is probably achievable with the material available, maybe there is a roto expert in the community that could pitch in?

I think if Donner had finished the film, and he actually "shot" (hehe) the blank bullets scene, there would've obviously been additional dialogue, and I'd imagine it would've something at least a little similar to Superman subconsciously "outing" himself to Lois, because deep down he really wanted to.

As for what we got, I think Selutron came up with a decent compromise (though granted, the effects definitely don't look as good as they did in 240p back in 2007 when he was making all these edits):
Whoa. This is an all out crazy edit, blows my mind. Cool to see fan cuts from back in the day.

Yea, shame with all the behind the scenes politics bs. Always wondered how Donner would've filmed this scene for real - I'd like to believe the script would've been revised since it's from early audition footage.

Been musing about a superman sequel fan edit for quite some time, but can never make a decision about these particular scenes. Piquing my interest again after finding this thread. I hate the pink bear rug with a passion of 100 Krypton suns, but do concede it's well-acted schmaltz (basically a template for the CW DC shows). Seems most people here prefer gun slingin' Lois

jc9QKyj.png

Superman II has had it's history of different cuts both official (Theatrical, TV Cuts, Donner and the Vudu/iTunes Donner Cut) and unofficial (Green Cut, Restored International, Booshman, etc.) so it's nothing new to redit the film.

This uses the Donner cut as a base, <deleted material>. There's no Paris terrorist attack, East Idaho antics, Bear rug, memory erasing kiss or any other terrible Lester scenes.

Sources
Theatrical Cut (TC)
Donner Cut Vudu/iTunes (RDV)
Deleted Scene (DS)

ADDITIONS
<deleted material>
- added the East Idaho Sheriff telling the Deputy "if you wanna be a peacemaker, you gotta kick ass" (TC/RDV)

The Vudu/iTunes release of the film is an extended Donner Cut that is different to the DVD/Blu-Ray. It adds most of the East Idaho antics from the three Kryptonians, as well as some more stuff with Lex/Teshmacher in the Fortress, as well as one scene that was only added in TV Cuts and presented as a deleted scene on the Donner Blu-Ray. I don't think every digital retailer has this strange version, but iTunes and Vudu definitly still do.

Just curious... which is it? You mention above that this release will not have any East Idaho antics, but yet you add a scene with East Idaho Sheriff. Then you further go on to describe that the iTunes Extended Donner cut includes East Idaho antics and you list that as a source, yet you do not list them as having been removed.

Since it's an extended Donnor Cut, I hope that the East Idaho antics can be left in, especially in light of the added Sheriff scene.

Question.... when you use an Upscaler, can it clean up dirt and scratches from a deleted scene, or do those just become even more emphasized?

I think Selutron came up with a decent compromise (though granted, the effects definitely don't look as good as they did in 240p back in 2007 when he was making all these edits):

This is alright in concept, but the excecution here obviously isn't perfect. The Lois shots aren't bad but the compositing isn't great these days.

Looks really good!
What program are you using to Upscale the deleted scenes? They look pretty impressive!
I use Topaz Video Enhance AI v1.9 to upscale any SD to HD clips or scenes

Question.... when you use an Upscaler, can it clean up dirt and scratches from a deleted scene, or do those just become even more emphasized?
Sometimes the dirt and scratches are small and just disappear with the upscale, but mostly it just becomes more prominant. Apparently Avisynth can clean them up but I've tried many times to get the program to work and its never worked

Just curious... which is it? You mention above that this release will not have any East Idaho antics, but yet you add a scene with East Idaho Sheriff. Then you further go on to describe that the iTunes Extended Donner cut includes East Idaho antics and you list that as a source, yet you do not list them as having been removed.

Since it's an extended Donnor Cut, I hope that the East Idaho antics can be left in, especially in light of the added Sheriff scene.

The "official Extended Donner Cut" includes their rampage through the town, the arm wrestling and killing the kid on the horse and all that. But I've opted not to use any of that since Donner never did.

Hi

I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Not to be pushy or rush you, but are there any updates on this project?

Yeah me too! It looks like this edit will be a truly amazing film experience! Just cleaning the artic scene already looks great!

Yeah me too! It looks like this edit will be a truly amazing film experience! Just cleaning the artic scene already looks great!
Same! The most widely available version of the Donner Cut feels incredibly barebones to me- lacking many great character moments and scenes that Donner shot for Superman II. The Vudu/iTunes/Amazon Video Cut restores some of these scenes, but still doesn't go far enough in my eye in making the Donner Cut feel like a proper complete movie, and not just a workprint/assembly cut. Bobson seems to be doing this- attempting to create the most polished (and longest) version of Donner's SII that can be made.

Back
Top Bottom