• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sucker Punch

damn, thats pretty much what i expected kevinicus, oh well, i'll still probably end up seeing it for the hot chicks fightin robots and all.

Sunarep said:
Yeah i really didn't like it, the animation was so gorgeous, so if you're a fan of fantastic animation you shoudl give it a try, but the story is so flat and generic, it's eragon all over again but this time with owls instead of dragons (but not as bad as eragon)

tangent... I saw "that owl movie" last night, and I enjoyed it. It was 10x better than Eragon (which was an embarrassment to the book, and cinema in general). As an ornithologist, I'm extra critical of birds in movies, especially movies with birds as main characters!! Overall, it was well done. Some of the subtleties that they put into each owl were really impressive, if you are at all familiar with those species.

That's not to say the movie couldn't use a fanedit. The contemporary music was a horrible addition, and the slow-motion shots while beautiful, were far too numerous.

Otherwise, I would recommend the movie as a fun fantasy watch.

Ok, back to Sucker Punch.... haven't seen it yet :)

Frantic Canadian said:
Saw a tv spot for this the other day that said that it was "Kill Bill meets Inception".
This sounds like an insult to both movies.

Frink, I think that makes Sucker Punch a Grindhouse version of Inception. What are your feelings about this?

spence said:
Frink, I think that makes Sucker Punch a Grindhouse version of Inception. What are your feelings about this?

b217fca0-55db-4078-b45a-3f07fba6bad7.gif

Other than tearing it a new one, that review doesn't really review the movie at all.

Odd that there are only negative reviews here.

Most that I see are split. Those who think it is a tragic mess, and those who think it is a game-changer that won't be fully appreciated for some time to come.

I personally feel that most critics will trip over each to say how much a movie is a piece of shit in the wittiest manner possible, while not one of them could actually make a film any better.

I also think that a lot of films that are highly rated are crap. If you read reviews in a forum and base your decision to watch or not watch a movie on that alone, you're probably missing some movies that you might actually enjoy.

Odd that there are only negative reviews here.

Indeed. That said, I liked it. It definitely seemed like there was some character development left out, so I'm hoping that we'll see an extended/director's cut in the future. My favorite aspect was definitely the soundtrack, especially the opening rendition of "Sweet Dreams." In all, not the greatest film EVAR, but it's really nice to look at it (for several reasons) and the story is interesting, if not entirely fleshed out.

Gaith said:
...... Aaaand, yet another actioner without a story crashes and burns.

Will ye never learn, Tinseltown? :p

Fixed it for you.

Saw this yesterday, and while I can't say it's entirely successful it what it tries to accomplish, Sucker Punch is definitely what I'd call an interesting failure. It isn't particularly coherent and it feels like there might be a lot of it on the cutting room floor. The action and visuals are spectacular and worth seeing regardless. The story and character development could've used some help, but in general I still enjoyed it for what it was. That being an excuse to see ridiculously attractive girls kick some ass.

spence said:
I still enjoyed it for what it was. That being an excuse to see ridiculously attractive girls kick some ass.

This x1000^69.

io9 review:
"Sucker Punch is such a bad movie that it raises the bar for what counts as terrible. That's because there's a horrific genius in it. This film will crystallize for you all those half-formed thoughts about what's wrong with Hollywood."

I liked it but fully agree w/ spence and aktek, the film felt like alot was missing/cut and while not a 'game changer' in my opinion, it was different... which is alot of what interested me.

I would like to see a extended cut if one exists, and still love Snyders visual style. His work is THE closest to a live action comic book as any director today IMO, I just hope he continues w/ original content but adds more character depth/story to his work in the future.

elbarto1 said:
I would like to see a extended cut if one exists, and still love Snyders visual style. His work is THE closest to a live action comic book as any director today IMO, I just hope he continues w/ original content but adds more character depth/story to his work in the future.

Well then you're in luck, because the Blu-Ray, which is being released on June 28th, contains both the 110 minute theatrical cut and the 127 minute extended cut.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sucker-Punch-Blu-ray/17719/#Review

Only one DVD is showing up on DVD Aficionado for Sucker Punch and it only has the theatrical cut listed. I'm assuming that this is another case of the Blu-Ray getting better extras in order to get more sales.

Back
Top Bottom