• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Steven Soderbergh is a fan editor.

It's a bit finicky, but I'm happy to report the method described here seems to work just fine as far as downloading from Vimeo is concerned.

a quick cover i created
vFd6Uca.jpg

That One Guy said:
It's a bit finicky, but I'm happy to report the method described here seems to work just fine as far as downloading from Vimeo is concerned.

Did you actually try this? I can't get it to work anymore than any other method.

Okay, I've finally managed to get them preserved. I couldn't get That One Guy's exact method to work but it helped me find different forms of the links that eventually did. I'm not even sure I could describe how I managed it, as different routes seemed to work for each edit. They are both 720p and look great for the small filesizes.

I'll make them available in due course. PM me if you are interested. Do not ask in this thread, thanks.

Edit: Never mind, should've refreshed the thread before replying. Glad to see you were able to get the downloads to work somehow, TM2YC.

When i get time I'll be adding these two new Soderbergh edits to ifdb for review purposes (Now I've checked them over for possible quality issues). So I've knocked up some artwork for both edits to go on ifdb...

return_of_don_tracy_3Dview.jpg

stereoscopic_killers_3Dview.jpg

[MENTION=9437]jswert123456[/MENTION], Care to finish up your poster into a full DVD cover? The more covers on ifdb the merrier.

Plissken1138 said:
New Soderbergh mash-up! It's Harry Palmer time!

Wild About Harry

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Two of the Harry Palmer movies were excellent.
Billion Dollar Brain, though - no.
While not in the Flynt or Helm mold, it did not measure up to the first two.

Late to the preservation comments, and I see that you found a way to download. If you need a super easy option in the future I'd suggest using JDownloader 2's linkgrabber? I use that for youtube, vimeo, sfx, etc. and it works every time. Even lets you pick between the various qualities offered or to transcode as an audio file. Each time I copy a media based or download link it automatically adds to my JDownloader 2.

Once again, a prosaic practical necessity has created a steaming pile of art.

In this case, I needed video material to display at our Singani 63 event at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans this past July. The “theme” for the event was 60s European espionage films, so I choose the Harry Palmer series as my jumping off point, and began preparing for one of my now-patented, never-watched mash-ups. Again, this was designed to be visual wallpaper, with the idea if you crafted a good buzz and decided to focus on it exclusively, it would hold/reward your attention.
- Soderbergh

Visual wallpaper, read.
Audio wiped, replaced with Muzak.

This new edit makes for an enjoyable watch. Even if you have just got it playing in the background (or on one side of your desktop) the soundtrack is very nice. I adore the look of films from this period, every shade of brown and grey you could want! The shot compositions are also great to look at (Especially Ken Russell's 'Billion Dollar Brain) and Flying Lotus' music is a good match. This oddly reminded me a lot of Watching 'THX-1138' for some reason. As with other Soderbergh uploads this year, the encoding quality is very good, given the compact 2gb filesize.

As I've done before and just for fun... I've made some cover artwork to go with the edit and I've added it to ifdb, for anybody else who feels like writing a review.

29736609615_1112839236_o.jpg

29655146871_b1fe68d342_o.jpg

29111799393_2129535b04_o.jpg

The art style is a  homage/rip-off/blatant-steal from the 'Nick Carter' spy novels.

^^interesting edit. thanks for posting, TM2YC!

i only watched the first few minutes and spot checked a few others to listen for any dialogue (there doesn't appear to be any). will have to watch it when i have time to unravel the story and pay attention to both video panels, as i'm unfamiliar with the source material.

but i dig what i see/hear. love the composition, the soundtrack, and '60sness of it all.
Once again, a prosaic practical necessity has created a steaming pile of art...

soderbergh's tagline needed a rewrite.

Rebue posted on EspionageFiftyyearsagoDataBase:

As “visual wallpaper,” as Soderbergh describes it, this edit works pretty darn well. A glance here, a half-minute of eyeball attention there, along with the hypno-lounge soundtrack, make for an excellent movies-cum-music video experience. The music is hip enough and mellow enough to serve as a backing track for almost whatever you’re doing, whether you look at the screen or not. And I’m grateful to have discovered groovy new pieces: “Camel” and “Elephant Ride” by Flying Lotus.

The oft-used split-screen presentation oozes style and provides plenty to ogle. The visual editing on display is gorgeous to behold but would have been far less remarkable without the original films’ visual composition.

Not being familiar with the Harry Palmer series, I don’t think I could follow the story all that well—nor do I think I was meant to. There’s no audible dialogue, after all.

If the new audio were to be appreciated as a deliberate rescoring rather than a music video paste (it’s assuredly the latter, but let’s consider for a moment the former), it would fall a bit short in that regard. Cool as the music is, the musical tone and the visuals don’t always align. When the music does generally fit a scene, it often doesn’t start or end quite where it should, such as upon or near a scene change. And as delightfully as the music sometimes reaches you, there are a few songs that really don’t fit and took me out of the zone. Nitpick: There are a few noticeable pauses in the music, and I think the edit would have been better served without them. . . or with much shorter pauses.

Still, this is a pretty cool edit, because spy stuff (and babes). I had fun checking out the ‘60s aesthetics—the clothing, the tech, the hairdos, the furniture—and chilling to the tunes.

Here on IFDB, there’s an excellent book-like cover by TM2YC, who also appears to have put in some effort to list the Flying Lotus tracks used in the edit. Thanks, TM2YC, for keeping us up to date on Soderbergh’s fanedit doings and making it easier to check out eeenteresting music.

So, given the community policies, would it be unethical to watch the Soderbergh take on the film, without having seen or purchased its source materials first?

Neosmith said:
So, given the community policies, would it be unethical to watch the Soderbergh take on the film, without having seen or purchased its source materials first?

Site rules forbid faneditors or viewers from downloading/obtaining material from sources they don't own. When it comes to streaming services like Youtube and Vimeo, we (the staff) generally stay out of it and allow them to police what's allowed on their sites. That may not specifically address your question, but I think ethics are far more subjective and open to interpretation/discussion than our site rules are. It's more gray. 

Other staff members, feel free to chime in to correct me if I'm missing something.

Back
Top Bottom