• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: The Coaxium Heist

I was reading some feeback over on myspleen about this edit and one of the messages indicated that the viewer was very disappointed with the color grade I had gone with, especially at the beginning because they said it was all grey. I had recently looked into some 2D still images using ACES instead of RGB and the ability to mess with the lighting in a more realistic way was amazing. I just did some searching on youtube and found that ACES is built into Vegas Pro if you activate it. The v2 is currently uploading for the film which addresses the small stutter. I think I'm going to mess around with the ACES settings to see if I can get more light into some scenes without washing out those lit areas. I might have already been using it, but I thought I should investigate and pass on if I found anything that works better.

Again, v2 is currently uploading. I'll be uploading the 1080p 13.5gb file first and then creating a smaller 720p version in the coming week for those who need a smaller file or want to more conveniently stream the video.

V2 is up and running. To those who are interested in the new version, the same channels will get you what you seek. Thanks!

keithbk said:
I'm watching Digmodification's version of Han Solo (The Coaxium Heist), which is a movie I typically forget the details about every time I watch it... And man, the beginning is so BLUE. I mean, it is so bluie, it's annoying. That's not Dig's fault, that's the source material.

Then, it's too gray. Needs more brown. Just what were they thinking when they made this film?

Seriously needs to be regraded. The beginning just starts the movie off on the wrong foot.

The blue was a bane to address in this movie. Ultimately I left the interior Proxima shots blue as it was a narrative point to their survival in those scenes. Removing the blue from the exterior shots was very difficult as it often pulled the sky with it.

Later shots, especially the falcon interior, were intentionally grayed out. I just couldn't see that blueish interior turning to the dirty yellow in the OT so I tried to make it more grayish white. I also deteset the over use of blue/turquoise in most every modern sci-fi movie. The same approach was used on the train and snow scenes to restore the white snow, remove blue shadows and make it a grittier experience. I believe there are a few regraded edits out there that go for a very vibrant approach. I appreciate your feedback :)

I really enjoyed your edit. It made it much better.

It's just so sad the movie is SOOOO forgettable.

Nothing about it begs you to watch it. You removed the most offending elements...

But, yes, that is a LOT of blue. Really, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING????

It just doesn't fit with the other Star Wars movies because of it.

I really enjoyed this edit. Extremely well put together and finally feels like a Star Wars movie. It elevates the movie so much that you almost forget that Harrison Ford is not in it :p

Thanks @"Trez75"! Super glad you enjoyed the edit :)

I've waited ages for a proper fan edit of Solo and thankfully the wait is over. Thanks for doing such a great job. Just wondering if anyone has made a cover for it as my attempts look a bit shité. Thanks again for a job well done.

Thank you for your kind words THX 1138? Do you mean a Blur Ray cover? I've started to just make posters as I don't really ever make physical discs of edits and just stream from Plex. I do have some of the posters that I could share to use as a front for a case.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Thank you for your kind words THX 1138? Do you mean a Blur Ray cover? I've started to just make posters as I don't really ever make physical discs of edits and just stream from Plex. I do have some of the posters that I could share to use as a front for a case.
I'm very old school and prefer physical media and I did manage to make a cover that looks pretty good. I've always loved your edits so thank you for your hard work.

I have to say, I saw this at the Cinema and was very disappointed, then I was given the bluray for Christmas, and I was still disappointed. So top marks to anyone who can make an improvement to such a flawed movie.

@"Hal9000" had asked if I could make them a version of the Coaxium Heist that restores the original intro and replaces the Solo logo with The Coaxium Heist logo. Hal is awesome so I gave it a go. Here's a draft of the idea. It's 9 layers deep of 3 sets of images to create depth and try to make it look somewhat 3D. I didn't pull the image in two directions and opted to just have it skewed to the right in the X, Y & Z coordinates. It currently has a still of Corellia as the shot does a perspective change that I haven't quite figured out how to get the mask to work. Anyway, thought I'd share.

The crawl works well for this edit but it’ll be great to have the option not to have one. You’re awesome for doing that, and it looks great!

Thank you @"TomH1138" for leaving a review and sharing your positive experience :)

I wanted to respond to one part of your review:
I have one quibble, in that a few of my favorite humorous moments got cut. In particular, we don’t get the Falcon taking off from the beach, even though Lando still asks for his cut later, and Han still calls him on abandoning them. Since we didn’t see that, that’s the only cut that’s outright noticeable in the course of the film itself.

In the original scene Han steps up and tells Enfys Nest they have people waiting on the ship, then as a gag Lando leaves. While the scene was funny, it felt odd as the tension is supposed to be rising here. The Falcon still takes off, but it takes place as the band steps out to confront Enfys' gang. This felt more like what we saw in Empire when they are trying to escape from Hoth imo. Masking that shot proved troublesome as the there was quite a bit of camera shake which required both the base scene and the falcon takeoff scene to be stabilized. I wasn't sure if you had meant that you missed the original flow of that scene or the actual Falcon leaving. If it was the Falcon leaving, it's still there, its just peripheral now as if Lando was always planning to leave them and then when he noticed Enfys arrived he split.

Thank you for your kind words in the review. I'm super glad you enjoyed it!

Amazing edit, finally getting around to posting feedback.  This actually turned a movie I disliked around into a good to great film.  Thanks!

Thanks for the review @Meadows !
The tagline says it all. Do I recommend this? Heck yes. Buy the film and request this edit. I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied. I bought the film purely to legally watch this edit, about which I was intrigued. This viewing was my first experience with the film beyond hearsay and to sum up what I knew, the film was dark (like hard-to-see dark), fan-servicey, and sequel-bating. But I'd also heard it was a lot of fun, in spite of itself. All I know is, I had a blast and didn't notice any of those criticisms. Within 15 minutes, I was swept up and thoroughly enjoying the ride. There was maybe one or two parts that seemed a little off visually, but having not seen the original film, it could be something endemic to the original. My wife watched it with me and she thought it was great, too. This feels like street-level Star Wars.

I certainly am on a lot :)

@smudger9 if you haven't yet, please take a moment to review our rules about asking for links. There is a link to these rules in my signature called Trades & Requests guidelines. All requests for edits need to be made via PM. You can PM a member by clicking on their name, then clicking "start new conversation" .

Back
Top Bottom