• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Renascent - by Asteroid-Man

AM: sorry it took me a while to finish this movie. i must admit, the large amounts of prequel footage turned me away. today i finally finished watching the second half.

here's an updated version of the review started earlier:

The new score, when present, changes the tone of the movie. The music turns familiar scenes sublime, now oozing with depth and gravitas. A few scenes become art-house sci-fi, in a good way, solely because of the musical changes. Same dialogue, same visuals, but a different emotion runs through them, sometimes powerfully. This alone is reason enough to see this cut.

I really liked the discussion @ Ben's desert abode. The PT flashbacks were spare; that scene was cooked just right (aside from some sound issues, which others have mentioned).

Kenobi's death scene and aftermath were beautifully scored and conveyed greater emotion than in the original film.

When used briefly in flashback sequences, parts of the prequels come across brilliantly. No longer do these scenes get a chance to smear nonsensical poo all over this fable; they're present long enough to emote or provide exposition, and then they're gone.

And Anakin's and Padme's clunky romance is mercifully condensed, making it more believable. Still hokey, but, hey, Asteroid Man's not to blame.

But then there are prequel scenes that go on too long.

I understand that the intention of the edit is to present two parallel stories, those of Anakin and Luke. It's almost too balanced in presenting both of their stories, and therein lies a significant fault. Luke's story of departure and adventure is simply compelling; Anakin's whining, sexual creepiness, and fascist politics are not. Although Asteroid Man doesn't state his intention was to provide an episode-IV-centric story admixed with tiny bits of episodes I through III, one can't help but think that that approach might have provided a leaner, more potent cut.

The parts of the PT that should have been kept were those necessary for storytelling. Action sequences from the PT, for the most part, aren't necessary to ground the events that happen two decades later. From the perspective of the original trilogy, is it necessary to know the particulars of Padme's assassination attempt, or the silly chase that ensues?

Even though I'm biased toward the OT, I felt there were some episode IV scenes that could have further trimmed. The boarding of the rebel ship near the start of the movie, as well as the on-ship battle that followed, could have been cut drastically. The trash compactor scene shows the heroes' teamwork and was an iconic part of a stand-alone movie, but in a hybrid movie that scene is unnecessary, as it does little to advance a broader narrative.

Sometimes the blending of the two stories works really well. Luke's discovery of his dead aunt and uncle, and Anakin's discovery of his ravaged mother (the last-minute nature of his interest which I thought was ridiculous in the studio version) are interweaved neatly. However, in the second half of the edit, this interweaving creates multiple climaxes, and I began to wonder when it would end.

Summing it all up: I was hoping for a blazing two-thumbs-up experience, as suggested by the trailer, and at its best, this edit is hauntingly evocative. More of this stuff, and I'd be totally pumped to see Asteroid Man's renascent versions of episodes V and VI. For much of its lengthy run time, though, Star Wars: Renascent made me feel as though I was watching a mere mashing together of episodes IV and II.

Rogue-theX said:
onedoesnotsimply1.jpg
Ahahaha, this is awesome!

ssj said:
AM: sorry it took me a while to finish this movie. i must admit, the large amounts of prequel footage turned me away. today i finally finished watching the second half.

here's an updated version of the review started earlier:

The new score, when present, changes the tone of the movie. The music turns familiar scenes sublime, now oozing with depth and gravitas. A few scenes become art-house sci-fi, in a good way, solely because of the musical changes. Same dialogue, same visuals, but a different emotion runs through them, sometimes powerfully. This alone is reason enough to see this cut.

I really liked the discussion @ Ben's desert abode. The PT flashbacks were spare; that scene was cooked just right (aside from some sound issues, which others have mentioned).

Kenobi's death scene and aftermath were beautifully scored and conveyed greater emotion than in the original film.

When used briefly in flashback sequences, parts of the prequels come across brilliantly. No longer do these scenes get a chance to smear nonsensical poo all over this fable; they're present long enough to emote or provide exposition, and then they're gone.

And Anakin's and Padme's clunky romance is mercifully condensed, making it more believable. Still hokey, but, hey, Asteroid Man's not to blame.

But then there are prequel scenes that go on too long.

I understand that the intention of the edit is to present two parallel stories, those of Anakin and Luke. It's almost too balanced in presenting both of their stories, and therein lies a significant fault. Luke's story of departure and adventure is simply compelling; Anakin's whining, sexual creepiness, and fascist politics are not. Although Asteroid Man doesn't state his intention was to provide an episode-IV-centric story admixed with tiny bits of episodes I through III, one can't help but think that that approach might have provided a leaner, more potent cut.

The parts of the PT that should have been kept were those necessary for storytelling. Action sequences from the PT, for the most part, aren't necessary to ground the events that happen two decades later. From the perspective of the original trilogy, is it necessary to know the particulars of Padme's assassination attempt, or the silly chase that ensues?

Even though I'm biased toward the OT, I felt there were some episode IV scenes that could have further trimmed. The boarding of the rebel ship near the start of the movie, as well as the on-ship battle that followed, could have been cut drastically. The trash compactor scene shows the heroes' teamwork and was an iconic part of a stand-alone movie, but in a hybrid movie that scene is unnecessary, as it does little to advance a broader narrative.

Sometimes the blending of the two stories works really well. Luke's discovery of his dead aunt and uncle, and Anakin's discovery of his ravaged mother (the last-minute nature of his interest which I thought was ridiculous in the studio version) are interweaved neatly. However, in the second half of the edit, this interweaving creates multiple climaxes, and I began to wonder when it would end.

Summing it all up: I was hoping for a blazing two-thumbs-up experience, as suggested by the trailer, and at its best, this edit is hauntingly evocative. More of this stuff, and I'd be totally pumped to see Asteroid Man's renascent versions of episodes V and VI. For much of its lengthy run time, though, Star Wars: Renascent made me feel as though I was watching a mere mashing together of episodes IV and II.
Thank you so much for this review!! Some great feedback to keep in mind for parts II and III (and also for the HD revisit of RenI).

Being in film school these past couple years, I've been learning more and more about how a leaner cut can make a film that much better. More content doesn't necessarily mean better film.

Thanks again for the review!

dude, you must be having a blast in film school. drop by the forum and say hello when you're famous, hear?

and thanks for being receptive to my appraisal, man. hope i didn't come across as too harsh on your edit.

Film school can be brutal at times. We were just assigned a short film due by next week. We've got a 13-person crew so it's not too bad. I'm on as the D.o.P on this one; and this is just one class.

During the summer I was editing and working motion graphics at an advertising firm which is why I've been so MIA. And I'll never get famous until I can master pacing. :p

Not harsh at all man! Pacing is something I've been struggling with - I didn't realise it until this summer though. Hopefully I can be a little more conscious of it on the next few things I direct/edit. I'm very grateful for constructive feedback - especially with fanedits. I find that often times people are afraid to be honest when they are talking directly to the FanEditor/Artist.

I only got halfway through this edit, I thought that there was more Attack of the Clones garbage than I could bear and it was slow moving. It bothered me that you didn't edit out a whole lot of the godawful dialogue and silly plot points during the AOTC segments. I did enjoy the new music and the contrast between the two time periods was amazing. I still have this on my computer so I will try to watch it over the weekend!

Yeah it's a tough edit to work with. I tried to balance most AOTC scenes with SW scenes, but then again a lot of the SW scenes cut have used trimming to begin with. As you mentioned, the dialogue needs a lot more trimming too. These are things I've been becoming more and more conscious of over the past few years of film school (along with pacing).

I've got a basic outline for RenII, but again, it's gonna use a LOT of reworking on top of that. Multiple drafts, rewatching Godfather Part II over and over, and also reconstructing the soundscape in more scenes so that I can work off of something I find I did well (music selection).

I'm also going to have to work a better stereo cut and I'm gonna make the surround effects a bit more immersive - all that for RENII, III and IHD.

atari man:

my two pesos, as long as we're in this sharefest, is to make each renascent edit less than two hours, maybe closer to 90 min. higher impact, ju know?

be relentless in trimming the fat. i think that's what the buddha said. :)

Before I was aiming for 3hr epics, and then I thought I'd shoot for just under 2hr. I think now I'm just going to tell the story that needs to be told - and that's it. Cut everything out that needn't be there (without causing plot holes) to tell the story - raw and real. I'm also gonna have it follow a smooth pacing with a clear first, second and third act (each with its respective climactic rise and fall). If the film be 30mins or 30hrs, so be it. :p

daz cool, man. story first.

booze and hookers second.

Back
Top Bottom