• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Resistance

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Background:
This is the updated version of an edit I made back in 2018 originally called 'The Dark Side Cut' because I was an edgy teen.
I actually made this edit before I knew that fanediting was a thing. I was "inspired" (for lack of a better word) by the so-called "Defeminised Edition" that circulated shortly after TLJ's release, which wasn't very good, but it made me wonder how much a movie could be improved just through editing.
So I made this cool thought experiment and there it sat on my laptop for five years because how would I go about sharing it? And who would want to watch a slightly modified version of a Hollywood movie made by some guy?

Intention:
My main goal in making this edit was to remove all of the little things that make this movie annoying. I'm cutting the member berries, the overly long jokes and all of the moments that painfully remind you that you're watching a movie.
I'm also of the opinion that Rey was too strong with the force in these movies, so I'm trying to cut that down a little. She's still unusually strong with the force, but she's not the second coming of Space-Jesus. I've tried to make Kylo more intimidating as well by removing most of his dialogue. Nobody makes fun of him, and he doesn't mess around before doing what he came to do.
The biggest change I made plot-wise is to the finale. In my version Kylo kicks Finn and Rey's asses. Finn is the one to scar Kylo's face before getting bodied, and Rey's heroic victory is reduced to her force-pulling the lightsaber (The strongest display of force she shows in this edit) and simply being willing to face off against Kilo when she'd obviously lose.

I haven't seen any TFA fanedits before, but given that all of my changes are based on popular criticisms of the movie, I wouldn't be surprised if this all sounds pretty familiar, so I've tried to go out of my way to make some unusual cuts, just to make things interesting. I've also messed with the colours a little, just for fun.

Challenges:
I've had to completely rebuild this edit for two reasons, The original was made with a pirated copy, and at the time I made it, I had no idea how to edit. I didn't even figure out crossfading, so every cut is a hard cut, and I just tried to disguise them in loud moments.
The biggest challenge in this edit is a small vfx shot I have planned to achieve my goal for the finale: There's a pretty convenient shot in the fight where Finn strikes Kylo and Kylo dramatically turns to the camera. In the theatrical cut, this blow weirdly leaves no damage on Kylo. In my version, this is when his face gets scarred.
I've also created a new intro text scroll that aims to justify the starting position of TFA a little better without undoing what was accomplished in the OT.

That's about it for this one. The edit itself shouldn't take longer than a couple of weeks. The vfx shot is what might slow it down. As of writing this I have no idea how to even begin something like that, but, hey, I've figured out how to animate masks for that authentic Lucas slide transition, so it's a start.

Due to historical heated and adverse communications regarding Rey's character being referred to as a "Mary Sue", staff have requested that communications about said idea not occur on this platform. We'd also request the removal of such from the OP as to avoid continuing adverse responses. Thank you for your understanding.

Due to historical heated and adverse communications regarding Rey's character being referred to as a "Mary Sue", staff have requested that communications about said idea not occur on this platform. We'd also request the removal of such from the OP as to avoid continuing adverse responses. Thank you for your understanding.
Wow, I thought small forums like this were relatively insulated from such petty drama.

Well, I finished the base edit a hell of a lot quicker than expected.
If anyone's interested I'd be happy to send out some preview copies in exchange for some of that sweet, sweet feedback.

Ill be looking into the vfx this weekend, there's only a couple of split-second shots to do, so I'll hopefully be ably to make it look good pretty quickly, and this edit might be released by Monday.

Not a bad turnaround, if I may say so myself.

Some real life and broadband outages got in the way this weekend, but luckily today is a bank holiday, so I got through it.
I initially went on a bit of a planar tracking wild goose chase, but I couldn't really wrap my head around it, so I went for the easier, dumber, and harder option of animating a mask frame-by-frame with a recoloured clip underneath it and a very transparent jpeg of some burned wood.
The results were ok. It gets the point across.
The video is exporting now, so it probably won't be on the IFDB until next week.
I have a sequel planned for this called The Last Skywalker, but I'm not sure when I'll get started on that.
If you're interested, there's a link to my ideas thread in my signature.
giphy.webp

^Footage of me trying to use MochaPro

Thanks to help and advice from the good people of this forum, I've managed to vastly improve the VFX shots and get them to a point I'm really happy with.
I'm just working on making a subtitle file now before I post it.

Here's the trailer for Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Resistance!
This was a bit of a quick job because I'm trying out a new editing software, and I'm still working through the teething issues.
Hope you enjoy!

Thanks to @ArtisDead for another fantastic poster!
Unfortunately the release has been delayed again because people just will not stop giving me good ideas.
I'm planning to do a couple more VFX shots to majorly change Starkiller Base and how it functions. If you want details you can see the conversation in my ideas thread, but I think it will be a really cool thing to see for the first time in the edit, so the choice is yours.

I'm going to be pretty busy for the next week or so, so I won't be able to get started until next weekend. After that I'm not sure exactly how long it will take to implement, but I know what I'm doing this time, so hopefully it won't be too long. After that, I'll release it as soon as I've adjusted the subtitles to match the new version.
We're getting there!

I have to hand it to you, William The Red Robin, I would have never considered Status Quo for a trailer but it works, quite well, in an almost sardonic manner. I keep watching it. It's catchy like In The Navy or YMCA. 🤔

I have to hand it to you, William The Red Robin, I would have never considered Status Quo for a trailer but it works, quite well, in an almost sardonic manner. I keep watching it. It's catchy like In The Navy or YMCA. 🤔
It's been stuck in my head since I made it.😅 I'm considering making The Last Skywalker a trailer with The Logical Song. People might not like it, but they'll be singing it for the next year.

Oh...do it! Do it William The Red Robin! I love that song! I was singing that song in my best Dolly Parton impression when I was knee high to a grasshopper!

Just a quick update since it's been a while:
I've finished the last few last-minute tweaks and changes. The edit is one scene from completion right now (the best scene). I'm just getting some help from other editors to make sure it's as good as it can be.
With that and the subtitles I'll tentatively say the edit will probably be out at the start of July.
This is a lot later than I originally thought, but I couldn't be happier about it. I said in the OP that this edit probably wouldn't differ much from others' (I'm still half expecting balloons and confetti to fall from the ceiling when I press submit), but thanks to fantastic help from the good people of this forum, particularly @FrameSniffer @DonkeyKonga and @INIGHTMARES , I've been able to accomplish things in this edit that I didn't really consider a possibility when I started it.
Super excited for people to see this edit. Won't be long now.(y)

Just a quick update since it's been a while:
I've finished the last few last-minute tweaks and changes. The edit is one scene from completion right now (the best scene). I'm just getting some help from other editors to make sure it's as good as it can be.
With that and the subtitles I'll tentatively say the edit will probably be out at the start of July.
This is a lot later than I originally thought, but I couldn't be happier about it. I said in the OP that this edit probably wouldn't differ much from others' (I'm still half expecting balloons and confetti to fall from the ceiling when I press submit), but thanks to fantastic help from the good people of this forum, particularly @FrameSniffer @DonkeyKonga and @INIGHTMARES , I've been able to accomplish things in this edit that I didn't really consider a possibility when I started it.
Super excited for people to see this edit. Won't be long now.(y)

I for one can say I'm excited to see where you can take this story.

Which scene do you consider 'the best scene'? though? Curious.

Which scene do you consider 'the best scene"?
Your scene is the best by far.
If it wasn't for that this would pretty much be 'just another TFA edit'.
I'm going to have to come up with something even better for the sequel now...

Your scene is the best by far.
If it wasn't for that this would pretty much be 'just another TFA edit'.
I'm going to have to come up with something even better for the sequel now...

Ohhh haha because you said you were working on the best scene I was curious. Thought you'd already finished that scene!

Back
Top Bottom