• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote NOW for January FEOTM!

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Resistance

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I noticed a really weird detail when I was editing Rey's force vision today.
In the vision there's a couple of audio clips from past Jedi, a clip of Yoda explaning the force from Empire, some Anikin screams from RotS, and an Alec Guiness impersonator calling out to Rey, but what's really odd is that after the vision a Ewan McGregor impersonator whispers the words "first steps"

Aside from this being just another empty mystery box, I also kind of think it represents everything I don't like about Disney Star Wars.
What's the point in having both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor's voices?
I could understand using Alec, since he's the most recent Obi-Wan chronologically and the one who played Obi-Wan as a force ghost, and I could also understand using Ewan's voice, since he's the more relevant Obi-Wan in the zeitgeist and the actor that they'd probably use if the character returned.
But there's no reason to use both other than JJ wanting to mindlessly appeal to what he thinks fans want.
He couldn't decide (or just didn't care) which Obi-Wan he should use so he put them both in so he could say "Look! STAR WARS!"

Maybe I'm overreacting, but for some reason it really irritated me when I noticed it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I noticed a really weird detail when I was editing Rey's force vision today.
In the vision there's a couple of audio clips from past Jedi, a clip of Yoda explaning the force from Empire, some Anikin screams from RotS, and an Alec Guiness impersonator calling out to Rey, but what's really odd is that after the vision a Ewan McGregor impersonator whispers the words "first steps"

Aside from this being just another empty mystery box, I also kind of think it represents everything I don't like about Disney Star Wars.
What's the point in having both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor's voices?
I could understand using Alec, since he's the most recent Obi-Wan chronologically and the one who played Obi-Wan as a force ghost, and I could also understand using Ewan's voice, since he's the more relevant Obi-Wan in the zeitgeist and the actor that they'd probably use if the character returned.
But there's no reason to use both other than JJ wanting to mindlessly appeal to what he thinks fans want.
He couldn't decide (or just didn't care) which Obi-Wan he should use so he put them both in so he could say "Look! STAR WARS!"

Maybe I'm overreacting, but for some reason it really irritated me when I noticed it.
While I didn't notice it in the theater and haven't listened for it since, I did read about that line. It's not an impersonator. Alec Guinness never said Rey but he did say Great or something similar and they chopped off the Gr and the t, or the equivalent if it was a different word. Then Ewan McGregor was brought in to complete the line when they realized it didn't make much sense for Obi Wan to just say Rey (but they really wanted to include Alec Guinness somehow). So the intended line from Obi Wan is "Rey, these are your first steps"

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I didn't notice it in the theater and haven't listened for it since, I did read about that line. It's not an impersonator. Alec Guinness never said Rey but he did say Great or something similar and they chopped off the Gr and the t, or the equivalent if it was a different word. Then Ewan McGregor was brought in to complete the line when they realized it didn't make much sense for Obi Wan to just say Rey (but they really wanted to include Alec Guinness somehow). So the intended line from Obi Wan is "Rey, these are your first steps"
That makes a bit more sense. I assumed the Ewan voice was a stand in because some interviews he did gave me the impression that Lucasfilms never approached him until after TLJ, and I didn't think they'd splash out for a single almost hidden line.
It's pretty cool that they managed to make the Alec line out of his actual dialogue, but I still feel it's weird to switch between the two. Leaving the line as "Rey" would have been fine (I thought it was neat when I first noticed it), or having Ewan do the whole voice would have been great, too. If they really wanted it to be old Obi-Wan, they could have gotten an impersonator to do the whole line. Hell, Mark Hamil does a decent impression and he's already on the payroll.
As is, I didn't get what they were going for at all.

I guess their heart was in the right place, though, and it's not 'emblematic of Disney's failings' or anything that grand, but it's definitely not something I'd leave in.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be fair if they're going to refer to the PT I think Ewan mcGregor is the one thing you can add that's universally loved by every Star wars fan.

That said it makes zero sense so yeah leave it out lol.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would see if you cant have alec Guinness say something else completely. Something along the lines of:

'This vision makes 100% sense.. from a certain point of view'.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've actually tried my own take on the vision which hopefully does make more sense, if people get what I'm going for.
If not it makes way less sense.😅
Yeah despite the intent I don't think the original line even comes across at all, let alone in a way that works. A fanedit is the perfect place to experiment with this kind of thing though.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good news! this fanedit is finished and will be released tomorrow. Only 3 months late!
In my defence, every time I said that it would be released soon, it was in a "releasable" state. I actually filled out the form once. But why release a good edit when you can release a better one?
Thanks to support from the community, this edit has grown beyond its original scope and has become something I'm really proud of. So I'm ecstatic to finally see it released.
Given how much help I got, I wanted to put my special thanks here to make sure everyone gets it:So many people helped me with this edit in one way or another, so if I miss you off the list, I'm really sorry. I promise it's not from indifference, just from being overwhelmed by the incredible support from this community.

First of all, I have to thank @DonkeyKonga who's ideas transformed this edit from mediocre to a project I'm really proud of.@krausfadr , @addiesin , and @FrameSniffer all helped me with my first attempt at VFX.
@FrameSniffer , @Bailey , @DigModiFicaTion , @Wraith , @ArtisDead , and especially @INIGHTMARES helped me with the second big VFX moment which came from @DonkeyKonga idea.
Wraith also helped me convert the audio for surround sound.
@Phase3 helped me write, and created the opening text crawl, and proof-watched the edit for me.
And @ArtisDead also proof-watched the edit, and created the poster and my new title card for me, not to mention the avatar in the title card.

I genuinely couldn't have done this without all your help.
Thank you so much!

My next edit will be a Halloween special:
The Hole in the Bottom of the World

Last edited:

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would see if you cant have alec Guinness say something else completely. Something along the lines of:

'This vision makes 100% sense.. from a certain point of view'.

'Darth Vader is your twin sister.. from a certain point of view'

Congrats on the release my friend! Great trailer! It's cool how you kept the changing of the stakes ambiguous in the changelist. Curious to hear what people will think going in blindly! Link me up scotty!

Last edited:

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Darth Vader is your twin sister.. from a certain point of view'
It's too late now to be giving me more good ideas, Donkey! Maybe in the sequel...

I put a couple of "made some changes" points in my last edit's cutlist too. I think I might make it a running theme. Some things just hit you harder when you're not expecting them.

DonkeyKonga

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's too late now to be giving me more good ideas, Donkey! Maybe in the sequel...

I put a couple of "made some changes" points in my last edit's cutlist too. I think I might make it a running theme. Some things just hit you harder when you're not expecting them.

I did this with my TDK edit with a key harvey dent scene. Suffice to say I've heard a lot of viewers that loved not knowing what to expect other than a change. I think it also prevents viewer bias, where someone may have a strong opinion on an idea without having actually seen he edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats!
WRRROTR-NOW-ON-IFDb.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom