• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars - Episode III: Dawn of the Empire by L8wrtr

The Blu-ray is missing its "scene comparison" and "about this edit" features, which are in the menu but nowhere on the disc.

serious_cyrus, thanks for pointing this out. I've just checked, and you're right, the BD I uploaded to Mega didn't have the features on it. GDISM. We are looking to get a fully functional version online asap.

EDIT: I have removed the offending BD from MEGA, so if anyone finds dead links for the time being, that is why. Will update soon.

Is the BD25 of this still available? Trying to upgrade my trilogy since I finally splurged on a Blu burner. GOt the first two, but this one doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

hi can someone PM the links where I can see Star Wars episode III dawn of the empire? I would wholeheartedly appreciate it! warjames

warjames66 said:
hi can someone PM the links where I can see Star Wars episode III dawn of the empire? I would wholeheartedly appreciate it! warjames

Read the post directly above yours.

Hello folks.
DLC for BD have been submitted to info.

I have been pretty much MIA on the site for quite some time, but trying to get back in the saddle. I'll keep an eye out for when it gets updated by the site admin and confirm here when it does. Over the next few weeks I'll be doing a wholesale review of which of my edits are online and make sure they're all available.

The Force has been Awoken... Can you feel it?

Oh...

And btw, in case this will figure into your decision to download.. [MENTION=8922]njvc[/MENTION] and I have been discussing some very minor tweaks... not ready to reveal them just yet.. but some changes are in the works.. possibly drastic enough that I'll have to look into branching the ending!

First, just to confirm, info has been updated with the BD of Episode 3, and this one is the correct version with special features. However, none of the other variations (DVD5/9 or AVCHD) have dlc's to pull from. There may have been some confusion when the download rar was recreated. Either way I need to update everything myself and make them available anyhow.

Second, V2 is officially in the works. I've been trying to find motivation to learn Premiere Pro since I no longer have FCP7, and FCPX is a flaming pile of shit. However relearning how to do something I know how to do with software that is mostly the same, but just different enough to make me descend into a Kylo Ren tantrum has kept me from starting any new projects.

Fortunately, [MENTION=8922]njvc[/MENTION] has prodded me into making some changes by creating a modified version of my edit for himself. It includes some original ideas of his own, and some ideas inspired by the Cutter and some by [MENTION=8536]Hal9000[/MENTION] which in some cases were inspired by other editors. This version was interesting to me because in addition to making some minor tweaks that njvc wanted to see, it address some issues that many people voiced as nit-picks with the original DOTE. At it's there were some choices for the end sequence in my edit that I'd have preferred to do differently but never found a satisfying way to achieve, and so instead opted for the non-verbal visual poem ending that I was pretty happy with because of the emotional tone it carried, even if it left Padme dead and not addressing 3PO's memory. The solutions that James put together himself, and borrowed from other editors addressed those continuity issues in a manner that I felt was up to the standards for not feeling like a fanedit.

So with a clear vision of what needs to be done and intimate familiarity with the material I've been able to start overcoming my frustrations with Premiere Pro and learn this f'ing program. This will also allow me to address some technical flaws that have always bothered me but I just couldn't justify going back into the whole process to address. By Episode 3 I was pretty much burned out and while I managed one last edit in Alarm Clock, I was pretty much at the end of my rope.

So, what is planned so far:

• Fix odd glitch during opening sequence where a frame seems to skip. This was a flaw from the get-go and no matter how many times I ripped the BD it had the same issue. I'm two versions removed from that ripping software and the new one isn't doing that. Ironically, nobody ever called that out, except for njvc.
  • Incorporate slight changes to the Invisible Hand sequence
    • Restore dialog between Dooku and Anakin during their fight "I sense much fear in you..."
    • Cut "I shouldn't have done that" line by Anakin
    • Trim Anakin checking on Obi-Wan, gives greater command/authority to Anakin's character
    • Remove Ray Shields as how the Jedi are captured and instead have droids capture them in the elevator, likely will use ADigitalMan's audio modifications for "Hands-up Jedi" per Hal's edit.
    • Trim bridge sequence to remove odd quick shot of Palpatine. For some reason, even though I hated how that quick cut, I never saw a solution to it, which is insane because it was the easiest fix ever. njvc had cut his own solution to this but it cut too much dialog for my taste, but his proof that it could be done set off the lightbulb of how I could fix it to my liking.
    • Considering trimming down or out the remaining people fleeing the bridge after the blast shields close over the shattered glass.
  • Trimmed dialog between Obi-Wan and Anakin after Palpatine departs the shuttle on the landing pad after the crash landing.
  • Improve the audio transition between Kashyyyk scene and birth of the Rebellion scene in Padme's apartment.
  • Fix pixelization during initial Anakin/Obi-Wan confrontation on Mustafar platform
  • Re-sequence the ending of the film to address continuity issues with the OT
    • Insert TCW Qui-Gon dialog during Yoda's meditation sequence
    • Padme stays alive. Using Hal's custom voice work for medical droid, and V4 matted balcony shot of Alderaan and then Boleyn Girl footage.
    • NJVC's improved (imo) variation of the Cutter's Birth of Vader sequence ending with him crushing everything around him
    • Re-insertion of Tantive IV table conversation about going into hiding, and Obi-Wan's training.

Possible changes not settled on:
  • I am not sure if I'll re-instate the 3PO mind-wipe. I'll have to play with the pacing of it to see how I feel about it.
  • I want to attempt a visual effects sequence when the Emperor rescues Vader. This is a long-shot and if I cannot pull-it off convincingly it will get scrapped, but I had this idea when I made DOTE originally, and that is to make it look like the Emperor uses the Force to revive Vader. I love the idea that Obi-Wan really does kill Vader, and then a cruel twist, Palpatine uses the power he describes to Anakin in to the Opera scene to keep him from dying. This will be the last thing I attempt and will just be a bonus if I can pull it off.

And so there you go folks... V2 is in progress. I have no idea how long this will take me. I'd love a May release, but I've learned to not make predictions. It'll get done when it gets done. In addition to the actual editing, I have an entire new rendering process to learn, and chances are I'll stumble before I figure it out :)

I cannot thank njvc enough for caring enough about this edit, but not liking everything about mine so that he created his own version. In most ways, this is really an njvc/L8wrtr collaboration as at this point I'm following his ideas, and in some places will use his audio work directly.

MTFBWY

L8

Hey, what if you did a scene where Palpatine uses the force to drain Padme's life to save Anakin's?

Barabba said:
Hey, what if you did a scene where Palpatine uses the force to drain Padme's life to save Anakin's?

Thanks for the idea Barabba. I like the yin/yang of it but I don't think I'll be attempting this for two reasons:
1) Quite simply, I don't think that such an implication can be made with the footage available.
2) This would be an entirely new contrivance injected into the Star Wars universe that is never discussed or explained. I don't really want to create non-canonical concepts without support (but I have to say.. the cruel irony of sacrificing Padme for him to stay alive is interesting).

That said, while this is NOT an open season on making changes, I will say that while the hood's up and I'm tinkering, I'll entertain suggestions. Ultimately, I want to make the most satisfying Episode 3 that I can. After several years I am extremely satisfied and proud of how DOTE has held up and of all my edits, it's my favorite to watch so there will be no large-massive changes beyond the closing sequence, but if someone poses an idea that I think both makes it stronger, and fits within my vision of the edit, well I'm not going to turn a good idea down just because it wasn't mine ;)

Stay Thirsty!

L8

Hi L8,

Is your version the same version as the The Cutter/L8wrtr Hybrid edit I read on another thread?

Also, here is an article I found and I also posted this on a thread in this forum. There are nice points made and it would be cool if it were somehow edited in this way if we had more material.

I love your edits btw.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

The Sith, on the other hand, are staunch libertarians. They accept no oversight or control from the state, practice a self-centred philosophy, and value personal freedom over social responsibility. Both sides are arguably problematic in their own ways, their extremist attitudes to their own philosophies making all elements of their conduct potentially rather dangerous. Suddenly the simple, unambiguous lines between the Light and Dark sides are rather blurred.

They’re binary opposites in terms of ostensible alignment, but in practice, neither is entirely good or bad. Wherever it stems from, extremism always tends to boil down the same way. And that really raises questions about ‘balance in the Force’.

The Jedi version of equilibrium is actually the eradication of the Dark Side. This inherent failing, this self-focused misinterpretation, is the core of what the prequel trilogy should have been about.

With both, deeply flawed sides explicitly battling for control of Anakin’s soul, and the issue of ‘balance’ being front and centre, the stage is clearly set for the young Darth to be not an angry teenager on an inevitable slide to tragedy, but the first moderate Jedi, a thoughtful, questioning young man who can bring actual balance by controversially walking the line between the two factions.

The reason he can do this? He can see things no other Jedi can, because he was ‘too old’ at the start of his training.

http://www.gamesradar.com/george-lu...ct-prequel-trilogy-he-just-didnt-seem-notice/

The fact that a V2 of this edit addressing these things is coming makes me so happy, you can't even imagine.

Also, I just thought I'd share some feedback on your edits from screenings I recently held. We watched Harmy's Episode IV and V, then your prequels, and then Harmy's Episode VI. It wasn't exactly the same group of people in each screening, people trickled in and out based on availability.

Episode I:
The fewest number of people watched this with me, because most were so burned by Episode I that they didn't even want to watch a modified version. However, feedback on this from those who did watch was overall positive. A friend who hadn't watched the prequels since release commented that he was surprised at how competent and watchable the film felt. He said while there were still plenty of things that made him groan or laugh unintentionally, he found it overall enjoyable and would watch it again.

Episode II:
I screened this with a much larger group than Episode I. Several people had actually never seen the prequels, but some had. Overall, the reaction was actually pretty negative, particularly around Padme and Anakin's romance. One person who had never seen the prequels commented that Anakin was "creepy". The Fireplace scene got an extremely negative reaction, with many people confused and feeling like something was cut out or that it was an error. When Padme and Anakin married at the end, people audibly expressed a surprised reaction, feeling that it come out of nowhere and that there wasn't enough development between them. One person who had never seen the prequels commented that it was a "very bad" film and that it felt like "massive chunks of the story were missing". She felt that the scenes ended too quickly and we didn't get to know the characters at all. The same person who enjoyed Episode I said that he felt the edit of Episode II didn't really work for him.

Episode III:
I screened this with a much smaller group (people may have been burned out by the Ep II edit) but the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. The same person who enjoyed Episode I but disliked Episode II said this movie was "Citizen Kane" compared to both of them. He said it didn't touch the Original Trilogy but it blew the first two prequel edits out of the water.

Wasn't the EP II fireplace scene cut out entirely?

TV's Frink said:
Wasn't the EP II fireplace scene cut out entirely?
No, there was a brief glimpse of the two looking at each other, then it cuts to the next scene.

You should show them the full scene.

Strange, Episode II is my favorite of L8wrtr's edits. I'm surprised it was received most negatively.

By cutting down the antagonism between Anakin and Obi-Wan, it seemed to reduce the former's petulance. I also thought the trimmed love story certainly went great lengths to remove Anakin's creepiness, making him merely slightly awkward and silent.

theforce said:
Hi L8,

Is your version the same version as the The Cutter/L8wrtr Hybrid edit I read on another thread?

Also, here is an article I found and I also posted this on a thread in this forum. There are nice points made and it would be cool if it were somehow edited in this way if we had more material.

I love your edits btw.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

http://www.gamesradar.com/george-lu...ct-prequel-trilogy-he-just-didnt-seem-notice/

The "Cutter/L8wrtr" hybrid is a project that njvc proposed as a joint edit on his and my part. We both worked on it for a time, and even got clearance from The Cutter to use some of his audio if I recall, however ultimately as we worked on it, we lost passion for the project as while his ideas worked fantastic in concept, we ultimately weren't happy with how it was coming out.

I suppose that this revision is really born of the ashes of that project. Ultimately what njvc did was take the spirit of some of his ideas and incorporate them into my edit but without strictly adhering to The Cutter's examples, and also, without trying to incorporate The Cutter's compositions. This expanded to a few nip-tucks that njvc wanted to see of his own as well as incorporating some touches from Hal's edits that he liked.

I do hope that The Cutter does complete his edit someday however, he had bold ideas and it would be a treat to see how they all come together, and would be an Episode 3 edit unlike any other.

Back
Top Bottom