• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Wars - Episode III: Dawn of the Empire by L8wrtr

I think the problem is that everyone assumes Yoda is more powerful than Mace... and we just watched Mace nearly take out Palpatine. Any way you have it because of that one fact, Yoda is going to come out weak.

"As wise as master Yoda and as powerful as master Windu." Always took this to mean Mace was the most powerful Jedi (along with Obi I guess - if we are to listen to Anakin).

I took that to mean physical strength... I guess I figured Yoda's force strength offset that enough that he was superior. Probably just the OT attachment to Yoda though...

I see. Although I'm also pretty sure Palps was waiting for Anakin to come along while he was fighting Mace.

Watched it today. I was utterly blown away, as so many others were, by the convincing fall of Anakin. Moving the opera scene was brilliant. Having Palpatine be more frank with Anakin really sells the idea that Palpatine is a friend and mentor. Certainly more than being told that they're good buddies. With your permission, I should like to borrow the idea when I eventually get to an Ep3 edit.

I did spot the part where we're back and forth with Palpatine and Yoda and so on, but it didn't bug me a great deal. I did question if some of the Rebellion scenes could be moved up a bit to break things up.

I'm of mixed feelings about Yoda's arc. I loved that you didn't show him behead the troopers, but I'd almost rather see the entire Kashyyk part get cut. It would be possible to use his escape footage after the duel and move it to just after the attack on the temple. He could escape with Organa and meet up with Obiwan as he gets back from Utapau. Yoda's sudden certainty that Obiwan will find only pain in the security holos seems to come out of nowhere now that you've improved the story of his relationship with the council. It would work better if Yoda had been there to see it happen. Obiwan's delivery of "I must know." doesn't sound right with the improved relationship between him and Anakin. I wish there was a different take, because otherwise it is great. I would not have Yoda go to fight Palpatine, but that's a matter of personal preference. I don't like the lightsaber, and a strange thought occurred to me: Would it be possible to rotoscope out Yoda's lightsaber during the duel so that all of his flipping and jumping around is entirely defensive? I found the fight in the senate chamber well-edited. I don't want to see these Masters waving lightsabers around. I want to see them using the Force. Too bad there's not more stuff they use it for.

The ending arranges things a bit too nicely for my tastes. I'd prefer a little more ambiguity, but I did like the way you did the birth of Vader.

Thanks Infamous and everyone.

Sadly however, it looks like if you haven't grabbed it by now, you're screwed. MF seems to have taken all files offline, and they aint come'n back no-mo no-mo no-mo no-mo no-mo.

I has a sad. :(

Well, I still have the DL DVD for DOTE on my computer and once I get the groove of NewsGroups I'll up it.

And Superman: Son of Jor-El is still good, as that one is on my Mediafire account.

*ducks and hides from Mediafire bigwigs*

I've got the ISO as it was downloaded, so it'll come back... the very next day... you thought it was a goner, but the film came back...

nightstalkerpoet said:
I think the problem is that everyone assumes Yoda is more powerful than Mace... and we just watched Mace nearly take out Palpatine. Any way you have it because of that one fact, Yoda is going to come out weak.

Ahhh, good point. I forgot about that.

Of course, that's just another indication of what a hack writer George Lucas is, constantly contradicting himself. Palpy takes out 3 other top members of the Jedi Council in a couple of seconds. But Yoda can't kick Palpy's butt?

Yoda can sense that all the clone troopers are turning, but none of the other Jedi can?

All of the Jedi in the Temple got wiped out in no time by the clone troopers, but one nameless, dialogue-less 13-year-old kid takes out a dozen of them before getting offed?

Nothing he writes makes any sense. Somebody must stop him.

L8wrtr said:
Thanks Infamous and everyone.

Sadly however, it looks like if you haven't grabbed it by now, you're screwed. MF seems to have taken all files offline, and they aint come'n back no-mo no-mo no-mo no-mo no-mo.

I has a sad. :(

Very sorry to hear this.

I was going to say that I still have copies if anyone needs them. But then I suppose people could just PM you directly.

Side note: I'm watching the (terrific) commentary now, and I goofed. I said that the troopers aren't in the scene with Yoda, but they are. L8 left the resolution ambiguous, which is fine.

L8wrtr I am sooooo excited to see this. I found this site at the perfect time.
My wife was laughing at me because I havent been so excited to see a movie since The Avengers. Okay, it wasnt that long ago but still your Star Wars movies are possibly the best ones out there. Okay I havent seen them yet, but I have read a lot of the forums and reviews of others and yours excites me the most.
Cant wait to see it.

TomH1138 said:
Sorry - I misread the earlier posts the first time around. I want to preserve the surprise of who the twins are, which L8 nicely accomplished himself. I don't think there is any coherent way of preserving the surprise of Vader.

Also, now that I'm re-reading this thread with full knowledge of the edit, I see that I praised L8 for some things in his edit which he got from other editors. :) Still, he made the right choice in following suit with good previous edits.

For the past year or so, I've been working on a fan edit of the prequels which completely eliminates all mention of the Skywalker surname, with the intention of hiding Anakin's identity as Luke's father, so that one of the greatest moments in cinema history ("No, I am you father") is preserved. Although it still has the viewer know that Anakin is Vader, they won't know that Anakin is Luke's father.

Hello LostSurvivor, welcome to the forums. Feel free to start a thread for your edit(s). In-The-Works would be the place to post about it. :)

This edit is slowly making a comeback. The DL is currently online and I'm now bringing the AVCHD back on as well. All 4 versions should be back online by Saturday via RS. I know its a pain for free users but RS remains one of the only lockers out there that can handle the volume of traffic. Eventually this will also be online via News Group, but I've yet to dip my toe in those waters.

Thanks for the update! I know a lot of people have been looking for this.

darth_vader_facepalm_by_benkodjak-d4pio4x.jpg

This edit has been restored, now via RS. You should be able to find them now.

PM me if you have questions.

Hey L8,

i haven't watched the edit yet (but I certainly plan to and look forward to it!) I just wanted to say congratulations to you for the release!

As well as being available on RS, the DL DVD for this is available on NewsGroups. PM me if you want it.

Back
Top Bottom