• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars: Attack of the Sith Menace

I have to agree with Neglify. In fact, your acceptance of sloppy transitions like that raises red flags for the academy regarding your faneditor status. All the issues brought up with your intro and crawl are legitimate. If you're going to release an edit of a movie that has been cut to death, you better make sure it is error free.

Neglify said:
It's sloppy and unprofessional. If you weren't an approved editor and this fanedit came to me to approve I'd disapprove it right away just based on that lazy crossfade.

That doesn't seem to be a reason to immediately disapprove an edit (in isolation), but having said that I'm not exactly sure why it's in there in the first place...

TV's Frink said:
I'm not exactly sure why it's in there in the first place...

Agreed. Why crossfade two fox logos? It looks awful. If the first second of your edit is awful it kinda detracts from whatever follows right? (Why not use the vintage logo for that matter ;-)).

The transition out of the crawl to the lens flare/ship zooming by was very nicely done.

TM2YC said:
Agreed. Why crossfade two fox logos? It looks awful. If the first second of your edit is awful it kinda detracts from whatever follows right? (Why not use the vintage logo for that matter ;-)).

The transition out of the crawl to the lens flare/ship zooming by was very nicely done.

It was mainly because the Fox intro was too long and did not fit the time i needed. However, I guess I can try something else. Still, thank you all for the feedback. And thanks for the crawl, lens flare/ship, I also believe it looks quite nice :D

I think now it looks better. In fact, this is how it was going to look like before i decided to use crossfades. I used crossfade because in my opinion it looked fine, but anyways, i have changed it.

Everything looks great but in the battle preview, the jump from 0.14 to 0.15 isn't smooth. Well at the least the audio is. Because at 0.14 Ob-Wan is on the edge of a cliff yet the next frame they're battling down a long platform/bridge. If you could cut it earlier, before they come to the edge of the cliff so that it'll feel like the same shot, I think it'll look better. :)

Also about the crawl, other than the things Masirimso17 said, a minor thing for me is that there is no pan down. After the crawl fades away in all Star Wars movies except Attack of the Clones, it pans down to start the story. I think its as traditional as the 'A long time ago' title card and the 20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm logos, but that's my opinion. I personally think it would look nicer with a pan down, or pan up even, if you're like living dangerously. :p

Everything looks great but in the battle preview, the jump from 0.14 to 0.15 isn't smooth. Well at the least the audio is. Because at 0.14 Ob-Wan is on the edge of a cliff yet the next frame they're battling down a long platform/bridge. If you could cut it earlier, before they come to the edge of the cliff so that it'll feel like the same shot, I think it'll look better.

Hey there MWRK, long time, how's everything? I want you to know that problem has been fixed, i actually felt the same as you, but I did not modified that (until now) because the audio mixing was smooth. But anyways, it still looks awesome. Thanks for your suggestion :D.

Also about the crawl, other than the things Masirimso17 said, a minor thing for me is that there is no pan down. After the crawl fades away in all Star Wars movies except Attack of the Clones, it pans down to start the story. I think its as traditional as the 'A long time ago' title card and the 20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm logos, but that's my opinion. I personally think it would look nicer with a pan down, or pan up even, if you're like living dangerously.

The pan stuff is something i had in mind, unfortunately, I have tried but i can't recreate the effect of panning, especially with that shot i used. Still, i think i came up with a nice solution. In my opinion, it looks "pretty" xD.

Perhaps this can help:

This one in particular show how to include the crawl:

Don't know if AE works that way but you could add the shot before the ship goes to Tatooine to the bottom of the pan instead of the planet (obviously) and then use a lens flare effect while panning down that turns into the flare into the actual movie in a VFX illusion. Then before the shot changes switch back to the actual movie back in Vegas. (I don't think the lens flare is necessary but when it pans down to the shot with the flare in the existing movie I think it should look as realistic as possible)

Instead of AE you could also use Star Wars TSG for the crawl which is very easy and looks very good. However it doesn't have the pan down, so if you want that you have to do it manually.

Masirimso17 said:
Perhaps this can help:

This one in particular show how to include the crawl:

Don't know if AE works that way but you could add the shot before the ship goes to Tatooine to the bottom of the pan instead of the planet (obviously) and then use a lens flare effect while panning down that turns into the flare into the actual movie in a VFX illusion. Then before the shot changes switch back to the actual movie back in Vegas. (I don't think the lens flare is necessary but when it pans down to the shot with the flare in the existing movie I think it should look as realistic as possible)

Instead of AE you could also use Star Wars TSG for the crawl which is very easy and looks very good. However it doesn't have the pan down, so if you want that you have to do it manually.

Thanks for that. I actually found some new way to make the crawl on Vegas, but these videos pointed me in the right direction. Now, it's not exactly equal to the original crawl, but in my opinion i have achieved a notorious improvement over the last one :D

samspider3 said:
I actually found some new way to make the crawl on Vegas

Cool. Care to elaborate? Or post a link to a tutorial or something.

TM2YC said:
Cool. Care to elaborate? Or post a link to a tutorial or something.

I actually learned it from this video. In spanish is "How to create the Star Wars intro without dying while trying". It's pretty useful. As i said, it's not the same as the original crawl, but with some modifications (thanks to this video) I was able to do a superior job :D.

^ B*gger!. It's in Spanish :oops:, thanks anyway.

[MENTION=25898]samspider3[/MENTION] Oh i see. Well I imagine its simple to create the pan down. You have the still shot of the background plate (without the lens flares) that you use for the backdrop of the crawl right? Simply extend it by adding some length to it. Duplicate the image of the stars on the extended canvas and maybe horizontally flip/rotate the second layer to make the pattern of the stars in both layers different from each other, so as to give the image the illusion of being one image instead of simply the top half duplicated. Quite easy I think, as you can then import that image into your editing software and add a simple pan animation.

TBH not feeling the lens flares on the opening shot (doesn't look as cinematic as the real deal I think), but thats simply my opinion and the edit seems to work good either way. :)

Oh things are going ok by the way, its been a long time indeed :)

This all looks great and love how you re-cut the ending with Vader and Padme's Funeral, I do have one suggestion though.
I've always liked the idea of ending Revenge of The Sith on a more somber tone and making it a more direct bridge between ROTS and ANH by having it with the Vader scenes at the end of the film. A better bridge because of the Death Star being one of the last things you would see in the film and more somber cause of the Death Star, The Emperor and Vader on-screen combined with the music being used to represent the almost 20 year darkness that awaits the entire galaxy. Just a suggestion, all this looks great and can't wait to check out this edit! :D

SkywalkerFan01 said:
This all looks great and love how you re-cut the ending with Vader and Padme's Funeral, I do have one suggestion though.
I've always liked the idea of ending Revenge of The Sith on a more somber tone and making it a more direct bridge between ROTS and ANH by having it with the Vader scenes at the end of the film. A better bridge because of the Death Star being one of the last things you would see in the film and more somber cause of the Death Star, The Emperor and Vader on-screen combined with the music being used to represent the almost 20 year darkness that awaits the entire galaxy. Just a suggestion, all this looks great and can't wait to check out this edit! :D

Now that you mention it, I was in fact thinking on making the fan edit end like that. However, I chose the original ending with Obi-Wan delivering Luke to Owen and Berú Lars mainly because i have 2 reasons. First one is that music with the end credits do not really fit in my opinion. And second, because i actually do like the original ending. Meaning even when everything has become dark hopeless, Luke will become someday A NEW HOPE. I actually connect very easy with this scene. Always get me :D

FWIW...
-your re-worked transition between Ep1/Ep2, fantastic! with that sudden burst of energy. it makes me wish his street chase sequence was longer.
-i don't particularly care for the crossfade into the lens flare from the two stars. i'd rather see the plane quiet space then the star ship zooms by. i know, i'm already becoming a cliche of myself with preferring a still shot interrupted with a burst of energy.
-i personally like your ending as is, Vader/Padme and re-homing the kids. it's a really good point made of ending on Vader so we can begin again with Vader. but your explanation means a lot too. yes they are going to face a long period of doom & gloom, but there is a glimmer of hope with a little baby in a mud hut on Tatooine.
-i also like "Attack of the Phantom Sith" that series of words really speaks of the whole trilogy, i don't need to explain why.

This is an experiment of the pan stuff. In my opinion looks better than how i believed it was going to look like :D

It looks much better, I think too! A few small adjustments so the transition is smooth:

You could use the still shot from your previous scrawl, the one with the lens flares, and then use that. It'll be perfect then. Like i mentioned before extend that still shot enough for the crawl, so it pans down from the still image, fade seamlessly into the footage of the ship whizzing past. You could try that. It'll open your edit with a sense of cinematic promise :)

As I discovered with my own edit, the classic SW pan-down is very precise. It start slow, rapidly speeds up and then slowly comes to rest. It is not at a consistent uniform speed like in the above video. I found the best way to mimic it was to overlay the original at 50% transparency and then animate your pan-down frame-by-frame to match the speed. Time consuming but worth it IMO.

TM2YC said:
As I discovered with my own edit, the classic SW pan-down is very precise. It start slow, rapidly speeds up and then slowly comes to rest. It is not at a consistent uniform speed like in the above video. I found the best way to mimic it was to overlay the original at 50% transparency and then animate your pan-down frame-by-frame to match the speed. Time consuming but worth it IMO.

I will try to improve that later. Thanks for the tip :D

Back
Top Bottom