• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Abridged — 9 films cut to 3 (new preview for sequel 3-in-1 available)

Thanks! A lot of what I'm doing is probably going to be very different because smushing 3 movies into a single film has me reordering and repurposing a lot. The edits can be rough since I really haven't taken the time to fine tune everything just yet but I am worried that some of my edits will still end up a bit rough because of all the changes I need to do to pull it all off.

I think I need to insert a shot of a planet that subs for Dantooine as the transition feels too quick as well. Yoda's audio wasn't touched at all.

Zarius said:
You did a great job on the Death Star explosion, very unique and something I haven't really seen in an OT edit before, love the debris crashing into the planet too. Luke and Leia training is a good spot for the credits, though I thought Yoda was a little muffled, that or I have a tin ear, also some music cues felt like they were abruptly crashing in (01:20 and 01:49 in particular), but overall very impressive work

Just finished up editing a preview copy of Star Wars Abridged I — The Republic. Still have to output it but if anyone wants to get a copy, just let me know!

I'm updating this a post a bit as I wait for the video to finish rendering. One of the major changes for all movies is the use of a cold open and no opening scroll. That also means the main Star Wars theme is also gone. Planets will also be labeled and, in some cases, additional supers underneath.

Here's the major changes for Abridged I — The Republic. Anakin is no longer the chosen one and there is no prophecy, he's just really strong in the force. Almost all of TPM has been cut except for when young Anakin leaves home which serves as the cold open. In this edit, Qui Gon is a Jedi recruiter and that's the last we see of him.

Anakin and Padme meet for the first time in her apartment and was edited so there's an instant attraction shown with a reaction shot. On Naboo they spend the night together. Getting this to work is probably one of my fave edits in this film! A few tweaks and you can have Anakin and Padme making out on the couch next to the fire before fading to black.

No clones. I've removed all references of the creation of the clone army. Geonosis is now called Kamino where Obi Wan finds the droid army.

The first time Obi-Wan and Anakin face off against Dooku is at the battle of Coruscant. There's a montage that brings us from AotC to Revenge of the Sith which plays out, more or less, normally but without General Grievous.

Still working on Star Wars Abridged II — The Rebellion. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I've had to rebuild most of the Empire Strikes Back footage in the timeline. Fortunately, the cut is all there, I just have to manually replace all the footage clip by clip which gets pretty boring and tedious. Sorry for the delay!

The good news is that I've finished through to the end of my edit of the battle of Hoth. This is the pièce de résistance of the entire 3 film series which has a ground and space battle going on. I've also been finalizing a lot of the edit up to this point too so I'm nearly halfway done considering most of the cut footage is from ESB and RotJ.

I've output a chunk of the film ready for preview! This is probably the most ambitious part of the edit and covers the escape from the Death Star Super Star Destroyer Executer right up to the end of the Battle of Hoth. PM me for the link!

@"subjectzero" , that was...wow. That worked so well, it's still a bit rough in some places (there's a micro-second of footage in between shots at 11:58), and there were a lot of sudden wipes one after the other that made immersion a little difficult (that probably can't be helped by how much you were mixing and trying to keep it coherent), but I think this is very inspired. Thanks for sharing it with me

Thanks! I noticed that extra footage as well but I didn't want to re-render it for a single frame... I'm lazy that way, I suppose. The Battle of Hoth is probably the most off script I get in all three of my Abridged films, it was hell to edit but I'm happy with how it turned out!

Zarius said:
@"subjectzero" , that was...wow. That worked so well, it's still a bit rough in some places (there's a micro-second of footage in between shots at 11:58), and there were a lot of sudden wipes one after the other that made immersion a little difficult (that probably can't be helped by how much you were mixing and trying to keep it coherent), but I think this is very inspired. Thanks for sharing it with me

subjectzero said:
Thanks! I noticed that extra footage as well but I didn't want to re-render it for a single frame... I'm lazy that way, I suppose. The Battle of Hoth is probably the most off script I get in all three of my Abridged films, it was hell to edit but I'm happy with how it turned out!

Zarius said:

At least you noticed it too. if you notice something similar in other samples, don't hesitate to warn previewers in advance so we can look past it and not have it form part of a critique, as we'd understand you were wanting feedback on the execution regardless of minor error

Just a quick update! Right now I'm more focused on finishing my Babylon 5 edits but I've done a bit of work for this trilogy. One of the issues right now is getting the climax to work.

I've gone with the (possibly) controversial idea of keeping Emperor Palpatine and completely removing Supreme Leader Snoke. The climax where Rey confronts the Emperor needs a bit of work, however. It's still a bit of a narrative mess and I'm trying to streamline what Palpatine wants from her which is part of her life force in order to be reborn and for her to be his new apprentice, pledging herself to the Sith. Basically, I'm trying to stick the landing that Abrams missed using the footage he shot. I think it's possible to make a satisfying conclusion but it's not quite there yet.

My Babylon 5 edits are still taking up the bulk of my fan editing time but I continue to poke at my Star Wars Abridged series from time to time. I've come across a new issue where there's quite a lot of audio drift in the Empire Strikes Back footage. Not sure what I did but it's a huge pain in my side! I'm currently replacing all the footage so that will take some time.

I also did some more work on the final film based on the sequel trilogy. I'm really trying to get it all to work but it's still a bit unwieldily from being poorly planned out series of films... but it is getting better! Gone is Starkiller base as a planet destroying, erm, planet, and is just a base for the First Order. I've also included some footage from Starship Troopers as the New Republic fleet which gets destroyed in orbit although the location of the planet has changed. Still need to figure out some color techniques to finish those shots though.

I am very curious with what you come up with for the Sequels

I cannot wait to see how this one turns out... Thanks for your work thus far putting this one together.

I've seen a few 3-in-1s of the sequel trilogy, ever see "First Order, Last Jedi?"

I've watched it! My plan is a bit different since I'm not trying to fix the story, per se, I'm trying to streamline what's there and remove story tangents. So Palpatine is still in the picture, Rey's still related, and, instead, I've completely removed Snoke.

Zarius said:
I've seen a few 3-in-1s of the sequel trilogy, ever see "First Order, Last Jedi?"

subjectzero said:
I've watched it! My plan is a bit different since I'm not trying to fix the story, per se, I'm trying to streamline what's there and remove story tangents. So Palpatine is still in the picture, Rey's still related, and, instead, I've completely removed Snoke.

Zarius said:
Cool, I thin k it's for the better that you streamline it. I find coherence is often sacrificed in attempts to remove Palpatine and the relation...but Snoke's removal is never that much an issue.

Zarius said:

Zarius,

I quote honestly did not know of their existence. Is "First Order, Last Jedi" the best of the bunch? I would love to see at least one but I have no idea how to come across it.

hothstation said:
Zarius said:

Zarius,

I quote honestly did not know of their existence. Is "First Order, Last Jedi" the best of the bunch?

It's one of my favourites, it has problems (I still feel the last act is far too rushed) but the best bits are when each portion of the trilogy at the start overlaps with the other.

Alright, here's a rough edit! And I mean rough!

In my sequel trilogy 3-in-1, I'm replacing Starkiller base with the Final Order star destroyers. I've also moved the capital of the New Republic from the Hosnian system to Kijimi so it's actually Palpatine who destroys the capital rather than the first order. I also wanted a bit more detail on the fleet being destroyed so I used clips from a variety of places.

Pass: fanedit.org

subjectzero said:
Alright, here's a rough edit! And I mean rough!

In my sequel trilogy 3-in-1, I'm replacing Starkiller base with the Final Order star destroyers. I've also moved the capital of the New Republic from the Hosnian system to Kijimi so it's actually Palpatine who destroys the capital rather than the first order. I also wanted a bit more detail on the fleet being destroyed so I used clips from a variety of places.

Pass: fanedit.org

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing!

That was  meant to be rough? :)

Back
Top Bottom