• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek VGER Version 2

Ripplin said:
That's pretty rough, Gaith, but kudos for being honest. :wink:

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be able to download it this month (may not have enough bandwidth allowance left) or wait until the beginning of June. Depends on when it's downloadable too, of course.

My apologies for the confusion. This movie is up and available for download, however the place to look is still currently in the Unapproved section of our trusty site. Seek there and you shall find.

Resolution hopefully to come quickly.

I dunno why I didn't think of that. I should; I've been a member here way longer than you. :razz: Thanks. I'm still gonna have to wait until next month, though. I get a 60 GB up/down allowance per month with my ISP and I'm at 55 GB used. If I got it now, I'd be pushing it closer than I've ever done. Don't wanna pay extra for overuse.

Ripplin said:
That's pretty rough, Gaith, but kudos for being honest.
The roughness was entirely aimed at Wise and the rest of the TM(otionless)P creatives, not our good bionicbob. :)

Gaith said:
Ripplin said:
That's pretty rough, Gaith, but kudos for being honest.
The roughness was entirely aimed at Wise and the rest of the TM(otionless)P creatives, not our good bionicbob. :)

Yes, I think Bob made a valient effort here. I can't fault your reaction to the source material, as I said in my review, those flaws cannot be fixed. So at that point it becomes a matter of if you're interested in what he's done with it, and can stand the original. I remember seeing this thing in the theater and it still has a soft spot for me because I wanted to like it as a kid. With that in mind, I think Bob did a great job, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Absolutely true.

If you are not a big fan of The Original Series/Movies, or are more of a Next Gen/Voyager fan,
this is edit may not be for you.

However, if you have great affection for the original Trek Trio, I think you may like what I have done here...

Yes, Spock is a bit of a "dyck", but that is his story arc for the movie. By the end of the film, he has comes to terms with his human half and is back to being the Spock we all know and love.

As for Kirk seeming not to be having any fun..... well, he is trying to save the planet from total destruction, kind of serious stuff.
Though, again like Spock, I think you begin to see the gleam of the "old" TOS Kirk by the last act of the movie.

I have tried to increase the pace as much as possible without losing the story.
I cut out over 60 minutes of footage.
This edit is only 80 minutes long.
For some, maybe still too long.
For me, just right! :grin:

Keep on Trekking!

I'm honestly glad that you enjoy it. :)

TMP is actually my favorite Trek movie. There go the last remains of credibility I had left, and all respect I hoped to gain around here. :-(

But still, I'm looking forward to this edit. Will be checking it out soon.

DwightFry78 said:
There go the last remains of credibility I had left, and all respect I hoped to gain around here. :-(
Yep, and in less than 30 posts! Might be some sort of record.

Just kidding, of course. :p I must say that I will get WAAAAAY more out of the movie this time around. It's been so long since I watched it. In that time, I've watched every TOS episode multiple times, not just those few that always seem to be on TV, y'know? There's a lot to love about it.

DwightFry78 said:
TMP is actually my favorite Trek movie. There go the last remains of credibility I had left, and all respect I hoped to gain around here. :-(

Me too.
TMP has its advantages:
- a "realistic" sci fi plot, with a nice twist,
- a slow pace that make it looks more "2001 serious" than "geeks movie" (but boring to some people, not me).
- A budget.
- A real mysterious, and frightening, vilain. Not like Kahn, who is a good "comic book" vilain, but nothing more IMO.
- A crew that still looks young. (not that I'm against old actors, but the last original crew Trek movies were a bit depressing.)

Sill I'm interested in this edit, might take a look at it next month. :)

Thanks, TMBTM! Now, they either ban both of us, or neither... They wouldn't ban the 2009 Best Faneditor award winner, would they? :p

I agree with all the reasons you gave, and since you mentioned Khan I must add that I found that character much more interesting and multidimensional in Space Seed than in TWOK.

I have always liked TMP. but I dont mind slow, "boring" films either.
got your DVD last week but have yet to watch since its already been approved.
looking forward to it though.

elbarto1 said:
I have always liked TMP. but I dont mind slow, "boring" films either.
got your DVD last week but have yet to watch since its already been approved.
looking forward to it though.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :)

Tried to download the dlc, but it asks me for a ftp password. :shock:

looking into it

-edit - the posted link is incorrect. will fix it asap.

Nice to see it on the frontpage! Just need some artwork for it. :wink:

I just want to say publicly THANK YOU to Flyboy707 for his very generous review!

http://fanedit.org/10700/

I think he brought up some very valid points....

I agree, I think there are a couple "low" audio issues. There are a couple of scenes where I used an audio fade transition when I should have just overlayed the audio on the scene. I am trying to correct this bad habit/mistake on my current KHAN edit.

As for the whole Kirk as Captain/Enterprise Refit issue, in retrospect I agree, I should have done something more....
I did put an information caption after the opening episode credits that read "RELAUNCH POST 18 MONTH REFIT" hoping that would suffice but maybe not...

With whole Kirk/Decker lounge scene, I think I was too focussed with trying to have Decker come across as an over-eager young advancing officer, who viewed Kirk as over the hill and in his way. The "you have not logged a single star hour in 2.5 years..." was meant to demostrate this, with Decker equating inactivity with inexperience. It was my personal view, Kirk was probably off "galloping across the galaxy" during the Enterprise refit period, as I don't think Kirk would accept another command other than Enterprise at this point in his career.

But I think Flyboy is probably right, I should done something to make this plot point clearer.

Downloaded it and had a quick sneak look at it. Question: why the 4:3 non-anamorphic widescreen aspect ratio? :shock:

BOB ask L8wrtr how he dealt with the REDS on his edit. It seems an easy solution that should be part of MAC workflow.

DwightFry78 said:
Downloaded it and had a quick sneak look at it. Question: why the 4:3 non-anamorphic widescreen aspect ratio? :shock:

Huh? :eek:
Y'know I never even noticed... :-o

That is an excellent question....
Unfortunately, the answer totally escapes me. :-?

The video files were all 16:9, must have been something I did when I imported into iDVD?????? :?

Sorry... still learning as I go.... :smile:

Hope it does not sour your viewing experience. :)

Back
Top Bottom