• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek VGER Version 2

Here is the last clip from my V'GER edit I will be posting. I am deeply immersed in my KHAN edit and need to clear some space off the old harddrive.

This is a good example of a very heavily editted portion of TMP. I have merged the second and third V'GER attacks into one single incident. By doing this I easily cut over 10 minutes of "dead" footage of the Enterprise exploring V'GER. So now, after V'GER's first attack on the Enterprise outside the Cloud, Kirk orders the Enterprise to continue on into the Cloud against the opinion of Decker, who views this as an "Unwarrented" risk.

Now, instead of a second attack outside the Cloud, it occurrs inside V'GER, and it is Spock's transmission which causes the approaching energy weapon to transform into the Plasma Probe.

Lots of tiny cuts in this sequence.
--Lining up the interior bridge scenes of the second attack with the exterior FX from the third attack
--cut Decker giving orders during the Plasma Probe
--Lifted Sulu's "Here it comes.." for scene transition
--substantially reduced Enterprise's entry into V'GER
--rearranged Decker's watching of Illia being attacked by Probe and his calling out of her name
--music added
--classic TOS fade to black

Hope you like.... :smile:

"]

Not having seen the movie since I was a kid, I don't really know what you're talking about, but I'll definitely be checking out the edit itself! :)

Nice clip. The added music was nice. Oh, what is v-minus, anyway? A play on words instead of using t-minus?

That probe is cool. I love the sound of it, plus it lit up the bridge a bit. :razz:

Ripplin said:
Nice clip. The added music was nice. Oh, what is v-minus, anyway? A play on words instead of using t-minus?

Yep, you guessed it.... a variation on T-minus.... it this instance, time till V'ger's final evolution.

I stole the idea from Babylon 5, when they did 'Z-Minus' leading up to Sheridan going to Z'ahduum (i think that is how you spell it???)

Nice! Ah, Babylon 5... A show I never watched, but would like to sometime.

Anyway updates on when we'll be able to watch "The V'Ger Incident"?

Ripplin said:
Anyway updates on when we'll be able to watch "The V'Ger Incident"?

Hopefully very soon.

My understanding is it has been uploaded to Rapidshare and we are now just waiting for the links to be posted.

If there is a delay, you can always PM me and I would be more than happy to mail a DVD copy out to you.

I should've said something right away, especially only living a few provinces over. If I could've approved it early enough, it could've been posted to the main page right away instead of still needing an evaluation first. Oh well, we'll see what happens. No rush, right?

Hello to all the fans of this thread.

I just wanted to extend a quick apology to Bob and you all. The film is uploaded and ready to go, but the dlc file is not available on .info yet. The new crew are still working out the details on this the process :)

But if you want a crack at this movie, please feel free to PM me directly and I can provide you the link to the rar so that you can access movie.

And it will not take long to get approval once it's available (hint hint).

This is well worth the watch, we'll get that link available ASAP.

Absolutely no need to apologize L8wrtr.

We all understand the Forum is going through a transition phase right now.

Everything will happen when it happens.

Or as the totally awesome Buckaroo Banzai would say, "No matter where you go, there you are." 8)

Looks like you're in, then. :wink: I look forward to watching it!

Star Trek "THE V'GER INCIDENT" by bionicbob

Reviewed by L8wrtr

TOS goodness to the rescue

What Bob has done with Star Trek The Motion Picture is for me, the definition of a Fan Edit. He has taken a movie and not only made the story better, but he has given the entire narrative an entirely new perspective, breathing fresh air into an extremely stale movie.
From a story standpoint, BionicBob has refocused the story to what fans of Star Trek care about, Kirk and Spock, and it works very well on this level. Decker is as annoying as ever, perhaps even more so now that we've lost the "Kirk has lost his edge" subplot, but fans of the film will understand the first officer's motivations, which also now highlight the dynamic between Kirk and Spock.
But what really causes this fanedit to stand out, and you see from frame 1 is the TOS treatment. The sights and sounds really help bring this into the classic feel of the original series, at least as much as is possible with with heavily 70s vibe of the set and costuming.

Video editing
The technical execution of the editing is quite good. Choices are logical, transitions are appropriate and the pacing is greatly improved. I find no reason to mark off any points. 10 out of 10

Video Quality
I wish the same could be said for the video quality, but this is not entirely due to the editor. The quality of the original is quite disappointing, however there are heavy compressions going on in the ambient or glowing reds. 8 out of 10

Audio Quality
In evaluating the audio, I will keep in mind that the spirit of this particular fanedit is to emulate TOS. One scene that exemplifies this is the Klingon attack against V'GER. In replacing the music with TOS, we've also lost the quiet rumble of the Cruisers, however quite often in the Original Series, ships often glided by on screen with only musical accompaniment, and minimal sound effects like phaser or torpedo shots. While the audio is not perfect, it is in keeping with what we heard on TOS. 8 out of 10

Overall Entertainment
Like CBB's Kirkless Generations, BionicBob has rescued a film that could, and should have been very good. This movie still has its flaws because the original was itself, terribly flawed, but bionicbob has managed to inject classic Star Trek feel into a movie that I would have been fine never watching again. 9 out of 10.

This is hereby approved to FANEDIT.ORG.
18596830yi7.png

Thanks for a nice review, L8, and congrats, bob! :) I like what was said in the audio section, as it is something to remember when things don't seem quite like you remember them.

So bob, you mentioned something about Khan? Care to elaborate?

Thank you L8rwtr for your review.

Your words were very kind and generous. :)

V'GER Incident was a work of great love for me.
I love all Star Trek, but to me, TRUE TREK will always be The Original Series.
There is an energy and magic to the Original Series, that IMO, none of the sequel series have ever been able to fully capture.
The idea that I might be able to bring some of that TOS energy to TMP has alway intrigued me,
because at the heart of it, TMP is a classic Trek story mired in misdirection and molasses storytelling.
I am glad you felt the edit worked.

And if you liked this particular edit, hopefully you will like what follows.
It is my intention (so long as I don't burn out....) to create a TOS Style Edit of each of the original cast Trek movies.
I am presently deeply immersed in editing TWOK, hopefully looking at a release sometime towards the end of June.

I totally agree with your techincal points, in particular the compression issue with REDS.
If there are any Final Cut EXPRESS experts out there with tips on how I might be able to correct this for future edits, please feel free to PM me.

Again, thanks for the positive review and all your support!

Live Long and Prosper! :grin:

Ripplin said:
Thanks for a nice review, L8, and congrats, bob! :) I like what was said in the audio section, as it is something to remember when things don't seem quite like you remember them.

We'll get this one situated ASAP. Currently the place to find it is in the Unapproved section of .info.

Ripplin said:

Yep, over halfway through TWOK, now entitled STAR TREK "PERDITION'S FLAMES".
Cut in TOS Style, but told from Kirk's Point of View.

There is a thread all about it IN THE WORKS section.

Love to hear your comments and ideas. :smile:

bionicbob said:
molasses storytelling.
Mmm...molasses...
It is my intention (so long as I don't burn out....) to create a TOS Style Edit of each of the original cast Trek movies.
For a split second earlier on, after thinking about this and "Phase II: In They Image", I was thinking 'it would be neat if there were TOS-ified edits for the other ones as well,' then dismissed the idea. But your comment about this issue brought a smile to my face. :)

Now I'm going to go read that Khan thread...

To any and all DVD cover artists:

I made a very basic cover for my own personnal use, as I am not designer, nor have the appropriate software,
so if there are any interested parties,
I could definitely use a more "professional" looking DVD cover that could be shared with whoever may want one.
PM me if interested.
Thanks.
:smile:

Well, the menus and opening credits looked fantastic... And the first twenty minutes or so weren't awful... but I'm afraid I've given up on the movie, fan edit or no. Spock being a total ass, Kirk not doing anything fun, the atrocious design aesthetic...

I respect the heck out of you for trying to save this one, bionicbob, and wish I could do you the credit of watching the whole thing in good conscience. But I just can't. Some things are best left forgotten. So, call me a heartless dick if you like, but I can't finish this one. ;)

Gaith said:
Well, the menus and opening credits looked fantastic... And the first twenty minutes or so weren't awful... but I'm afraid I've given up on the movie, fan edit or no. Spock being a total ass, Kirk not doing anything fun, the atrocious design aesthetic...

I respect the heck out of you for trying to save this one, bionicbob, and wish I could do you the credit of watching the whole thing in good conscience. But I just can't. Some things are best left forgotten. So, call me a heartless dick if you like, but I can't finish this one. ;)

Sorry if it's not your cup of tea. :-(

Me, I still like it. :)

That's pretty rough, Gaith, but kudos for being honest. :wink:

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be able to download it this month (may not have enough bandwidth allowance left) or wait until the beginning of June. Depends on when it's downloadable too, of course.

Back
Top Bottom