• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek Regenerations

MightyAttackTribble

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star-Trek-Regenerations-Poster.jpg

Star-Trek-Regenerations-3-D-Disc.png

Following the release of Star Trek: Picard's third season and The Roddenberry Archive's short 765874: Regeneration, I wanted to revisit the big screen debut of The Next Generation's crew, Generations.

A movie I've always felt was underrated by fans and critic, Generations nonetheless is not without its problems. The characters are somewhat inconsistent and ill-served, the Nexus is poorly defined, some of the more comedic moments with Data simply — much like the Enterprise-D — do not land, and the death of the legendary Captain James T. Kirk is underwhelming in just about every sense.

Some parts I felt I couldn't do anything about — the Nexus and Kirk's death, mainly, as the former would need the addition of more material than exists and the latter... well, how do you give such a legendary character a satisfying death? — but I believed I could address most of the other issues I had with the movie. Captain Harriman of the Enterprise-B is presented as youthful, inexperienced, utterly starstruck and completely out of his depth, but with a few trims he now comes across as the kind of competent senior officer one would have to be to earn the captaincy of a vessel with such a prestigious lineage.

After that comes the bugbear of just about every faneditor to ever tackle this movie: Data. Brent Spiner is a wonderful comedic actor, and Data's an equally wonderful character to explore character growth with, but sometimes less is more. In the original cut Data's a quipping gag machine for most of his screentime... until he suddenly isn't, having mastered his emotions offscreen. In my edit he still grapples with his newly-acquired ability to feel, but after his initial overload he only loses his usual professionalism in moments of high stress.

Two characters who get a major shafting in the original cut are Riker and Worf. The Duras sisters' plan to get through the Enterprise-D's shields is pretty clever, but should never have bought them more than a shot or two before the shields were remodulated and the Enterprise-D obliterated them (or, more likely, they retreated). My biggest edit involves merging the ship battle with the warp core breach that happens after its conclusion. Instead of Riker and Worf allowing the ship to take a prolonged beating until it ultimately exploded, the fatal damage is done with the first shot — now, with the knowledge that the stardrive section is already lost but is drawing the Bird-of-Prey's fire, the focus for Riker and Worf is to take out the hostile enemy ship while they still have access to the torpedo launchers before the entire crew are evacuated to the more vulnerable saucer section.

Finally, I wanted to incorporate 765874: Regeneration into the finale to really tie up Kirk's story and plant the seed for one of the major events of Star Trek: Picard's third season. Leonard Nimoy famously turned down involvement in the movie after negotiations for him to direct fell apart. That Kirk effectively dies twice with Spock nowhere to be found was a crying shame, so finally seeing Spock wrestle with his closest friend's confirmed death is some small compensation.

Sources:
  • Star Trek: Generations (2022 Remaster) Blu-ray
  • 765874: Regeneration by OTOY/The Roddenberry Archive
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Seasons 3-6 Blu-rays
  • Star Trek: Picard Seasons 1-3 Blu-rays
  • Star Trek: The Motion Picture soundtrack CD by Jerry Goldsmith
  • Star Trek: Generations expanded soundtrack CD by Dennis McCarthy
  • Star Trek: First Contact expanded soundtrack CD by Jerry Goldsmith
  • Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage digital album by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra
  • BBC Sound Effects digital library
  • freesound.org
Cuts and Additions:

00:00:00
Added Fanedit disclaimer and logo.

00:00:17 Added Mighty Attack Tribble logo.

00:00:29 Replaced Paramount logo with 2023 variant with Starfleet fanfare.

00:00:39 Replaced opening credits up to the title reveal, including new starfield background plate.

00:03:35 Added ambient Bridge SFX from the Star Trek: Generations score to all Enterpise-B Bridge scenes.

00:04:05 Removed Kirk's "Oh, really?" and Harriman grinning like a bashful child.

00:07:46 Removed the stammering from Harriman's "On speakers."

00:08:35 Shortened Harriman stalling over what to do about the distress signal.

00:16:11 Stabilised poorly-executed camera shake and remade the effect with a less exaggerated, more consistent shake.

00:20:35 Added the Klingon fanfare from "The Deflector Dish" from the Star Trek: First Contact score as Worf claims his officer's hat.

00:22:43 Added alternate take of "To Live Forever" from Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra as Picard and Riker are talking about the freedom of the high seas.

00:30:04 Removed Riker's report on the observatory attack to Picard. We don't need to see Riker relay to Picard that Soran wants to speak to him when Picard acknowledges that Soran asked to see him in their meeting in Ten Forward.

00:30:04 Moved Picard discussing his family with Troi to before his meeting with Soran. Removed their reaction to the star's collapse.

00:39:48 Removed Data's "Magnetic personality" quip.

00:40:26 Removed Data's "Mr. Tricorder" quip.

00:40:29 Removed Data's impression of Picard.

00:41:54 Removed Data begging Soran not to hurt him.

00:50:14 Removed slow-motion extension of Soran and Geordi.

00:50:16 Replaced shot of the Enterprise-D, which was one of the most re-used model shots on the show, with a CGI flyby created by Daniel Broadway.

00:56:11 Flipped shot of the Enterprise-D going to warp, to maintain consistency with the previous establishing shot.

00:58:01 Replaced shot of the Enterprise-D in orbit over Veridian III with a CGI recreation by Daniel Broadway.

00:58:32 Removed Riker's "Big margin for error" line and Picard's agreement. It's actually a very small margin for error.

01:00:30 Corrected the transporter FX when Picard is beamed down to the surface of Veridian III to account for the fact that he's beaming down from Lursa and B'Etor's Bird-of-Prey.

01:01:58 Removed Crusher's line telling Geordi she's removed the nanoprobe from his heart. The nanoprobe torture scene was cut from the theatrical release.

01:05:08 Removed Data's "Life Forms" song.

01:06:29 Moved scene of Geordi trying to hold things together in Engineering to immediately after the first shots of the battle, cut together with:

01:06:37 Moved Geordi declaring an imminent warp core breach.

01:06:57 Moved Picard noticing a gap in the force field.

01:08:24 Moved Worf and Riker discussing the Bird-of-Prey's weaknesses. Added impact SFX to shot where the crew are reacting to an unheard explosion.

01:08:46 Moved and re-scored scenes of the crew evacuating to the saucer section. Added camera shakes and impact SFX to emphasise the battle is still going on.

01:09:06 Moved the Klingon tactical officer's shields update.

01:09:11 Moved Riker and Data formulating the plasma coil exploit. Added impact SFX to shot where the crew are reacting to an unheard explosion.

01:09:28 Removed Riker's "They'll have two seconds of vulnerability" line, as in actuality it ends up being closer to 15 seconds.

01:09:35 Moved scenes of Crusher and Geordi assisting the crew evacuation. Battle SFX added.

01:11:07 Flipped shot of the Bird-of-Prey exploding so it is correctly orientated in relation to the Enterprise-D (and to disguise that it's a re-used shot).

01:11:14 Removed crew reaction and Data's "Yes!" No time to stand around patting yourselves on the back when the ship's about to explode.

01:45:58 Removed Kirk's "Oh my." His last words are now "It was fun." As good as Shatner's ad-lib was, Kirk should at least die with a smile on his face (metaphorically) rather than with fear in his eyes.

01:46:04 Added animated film grain to the hold on Kirk's lifeless face to disguise that it's a still frame.

01:47:19 Extended lengh of the shot after Picard walks offscreen and added long crossfade to indicate the passing of time (deleted scenes and supplemetary material establish the crew was stranded on Veridian III for 48-72 hours before help arrived).

01:47:21 Replaced shot of the crashed Enteprise-D saucer with scenes of the recovery operation from 765874: Regeneration — there's no chance that Starfleet would leave the wrecked but otherwise intact saucer of the Federation flagship for every spacefaring race in the quadrant to pick through. Colour-corrected footage, added film grain, and re-scored and re-foleyed.

01:47:35 Removed Picard's line declaring the Enterprise unsalvgeable. In canon the Galaxy-class was already being phased out by Starfleet, so while recovery was necessary it would have been a waste of resources to do anything more.

01:49:35 Added scene of Spock arriving at Kirk's makeshift grave from 765874: Regeneration. Colour-corrected footage, added film grain, and re-scored and re-foleyed.

01:50:34 Added scene of Spock briefly grieving underneath audio of Picard talking about appreciating the time we have. Colour-corrected footage, added film grain, and re-scored and re-foleyed.

01:51:54 Replaced credit roll to include 765874: Regeneration's credits, crediting all previously-uncredited actors with their characters' canonical names, and including thanks to those faneditors who have assisted in this edit. A new end credits mix using the music from the score and Jerry Goldsmith's "End Credits" from the Star Trek: First Contact score plays over the roll.

Total time removed: Around five minutes.
Total time added: Around two minutes (not including logos and disclaimers).

Last edited:
I thought Generations was okay. Not the worst Star Trek movie. Maybe, not the best. There is an edit by Boone, the forum's founder, that removes Kirk. Have you seen it?

I made an edit years back where Kirk and the Enterprise both survive. Sound's real low on it though

I thought Generations was okay. Not the worst Star Trek movie. Maybe, not the best. There is an edit by Boone, the forum's founder, that removes Kirk. Have you seen it?
I'd definitely put it in the middle tier of the Trek movies, yeah.

Kirkless Generations was the first fanedit I ever saw, back when it was brand new.

Nicely done!

Two minor suggestions. One, perhaps cut away from Spock BEFORE Riker says "Speak for yourself", as the line sort of undermines the Spock moment.
Two, maybe experiment with the colour timing/saturation levels as the Regeneration footage is visually cooler than the main movie.

Nicely done!

Two minor suggestions. One, perhaps cut away from Spock BEFORE Riker says "Speak for yourself", as the line sort of undermines the Spock moment.
Two, maybe experiment with the colour timing/saturation levels as the Regeneration footage is visually cooler than the main movie.

I kinda have the same reaction, although I would take it further. Personally, I think the conversation with Riker and Picard after the Spock reveal isn't all that important. Once Picard's speech about time has been made, Riker's lament about being captain of the enterprise feels pointless. Cutting to the shot of the new enterprise after the Spock reveal is good enough.

I suppose while I'm at it, I'll nitpick the shot of Spock, too. I haven't watched any of the newer Trek shows, so I can't be sure if the shot of Spock came from you or from a series I haven't seen, but I gotta admit Spock looking into the camera makes me feel uncomfortable in an uncanny valley sort of way. If the shot was created by you, I'd suggest not having Spock stare into my soul. If it's from a show, then it's not your fault, and you can ignore this criticism.

I kinda have the same reaction, although I would take it further. Personally, I think the conversation with Riker and Picard after the Spock reveal isn't all that important. Once Picard's speech about time has been made, Riker's lament about being captain of the enterprise feels pointless. Cutting to the shot of the new enterprise after the Spock reveal is good enough.

I suppose while I'm at it, I'll nitpick the shot of Spock, too. I haven't watched any of the newer Trek shows, so I can't be sure if the shot of Spock came from you or from a series I haven't seen, but I gotta admit Spock looking into the camera makes me feel uncomfortable in an uncanny valley sort of way. If the shot was created by you, I'd suggest not having Spock stare into my soul. If it's from a show, then it's not your fault, and you can ignore this criticism.
For me the final lines between Riker and Picard are about saying goodbye to the Enterprise, playing in tandem with Spock saying his goodbye to Kirk. If it were possible to naturally get to the line about the lineage continuing without Riker's lament it'd be ideal, but every way I've already tried feels like there's a missing part of the conversation.

As for the shot of Spock, it was created for The Roddenberry Archive by VFX company OTOY, adapted from a scene in the William Shatner novel Ashes of Eden.

The short was incredibly well received by the Trek fandom, so it made sense to incorporate it into the body of the movie.

The biggest hurdle for me was recutting the battle scene to have the warp core breach begin almost immediately after the Enterprise takes the first hit – after all, if you're the Duras sisters and you know you've got at least one or two free hits before the Enterprise responds why wouldn't you aim for the weakest points of the ship? – and having the crew evacuation take place during the battle.

My initial idea was to find suitable dialogue of Riker ordering the shields to be remodulated from an episode of TNG and drop it into the battle, but the only dialogue that exists is spoken in an incredibly calm manner that doesn't fit, and short of having Jonathan Frakes record a line it's unlikely a solution can be found. Additionally, having the Enterprise regain her shields would mean cutting all of the ship-to-ship shots from the battle, so Riker remains a boob who lets the ship take an extended beating.

And before anybody mentions it, Data's celebratory "Yes!" won't be in the final cut. They're in the middle of an evacuation, so there's no time for that nonsense. For the purposes of a YouTube video, however, it felt like a nice button to end on.

As before, there's still work to be done. I haven't finished rebuilding all the SFX (the two crewmen crawling through the Jeffries tube is absent of any audio besides the score) and some of the score transitions need smoothing out, but overall I'm pleased with how things are working out thus far.

Last edited:
Ummm...that's a very cool poster. I would very much like to see a comprehensive change list.

My edit 99.9% done. @Eyepainter had a couple of really good suggestions that I implemented, and I'm very happy with how it has turned out.

I have to wait until my Blu-ray copy of Star Trek: Picard Season 3 arrives next month and replace the Paramount+ ripped footage and SFX I used before I can submit it to the IFDB for approval, but in the meantime here's a trailer I put together:

My edit 99.9% done. @Eyepainter had a couple of really good suggestions that I implemented, and I'm very happy with how it has turned out.

I have to wait until my Blu-ray copy of Star Trek: Picard Season 3 arrives next month and replace the Paramount+ ripped footage and SFX I used before I can submit it to the IFDB for approval, but in the meantime here's a trailer I put together:

Great trailer! Really love it.

Though the first minute, the dialogue and music are fighting each other, and thus, it is difficult to clearly discern.
I suggest, increasing the dialogue volume slightly, and start the music much lower and let it very slowly build to full volume over the first 90 seconds or so.

Star Trek Generations is an odd one. It's a good enough film, visually beautiful, but it's a milestone in Trek lore that *could* have been different. The fact there have been numerous attempts to bring Shatner back that have stalled speaks volumes, possibly.

This is one of the most iconic characters in world pop culture history and he had a rubbish ending. To be quite honest. Even the crossover with Picard was mediocre. Does a handover really have to mean 'the end'?

The fact they tried to bring back the whole TOS cast - at least your edit will bring the Nimoy Spock into the story in 'new material', in a scene which is already powerful

There have been a few edits of this movie through the years

* Kirkless Generations - basically an extended TNG episode
* Kirk Lives Generations (no but imagine if we saw Shatner in a new uniform on a new Enterprise?!))
* Kirk Gets Shot (based on reshot footage)
* Kirk AND the Enterprise-D survive (I love First Contact but I missed -D! Little did we know for 20 years La Forge had it in his garage being fixed up)

I actually made a 1h20 min edit based on this trailer called 'STAR TREK: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST' yes nicked from X Men but it's coool!!

A reimagining of Yesterday's Enterprise with Kirk replacing Garrett. He ends his service fighting Klingons on the bridge of the Enterprise C before going through the wormhole and restoring the timeline. I can't post it here because it's mixed from various sources, but I am incredibly proud of it, it's my Trek 'concept album'.

Although I love this sequel trailer. Always have done. Apologies for the rant but the fan frustration is there!

ok got one last random idea for this:

Tim Russ played an Enterprise-B Lieutenant in Star Trek Generations

Tim Russ was later Tuvok on Voyager, who we know was on the Excelsior with Captain Sulu

How about get an SFX guy to give said Lieutenant pointy ears and eyebrows to make him Tuvok?!?

Back
Top Bottom