• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Trek Regenerations

ok got one last random idea for this:

Tim Russ played an Enterprise-B Lieutenant in Star Trek Generations

Tim Russ was later Tuvok on Voyager, who we know was on the Excelsior with Captain Sulu

How about get an SFX guy to give said Lieutenant pointy ears and eyebrows to make him Tuvok?!?
I was tempted to give it a go, and mocked up a couple of stills that looked decent, but my VFX abilities are rudimentary at best and while I could probably rotoscope it by hand my next project has just under 200 shots that will be corrected frame-by-frame, so I don't really want to commit to it here.

I could ask somebody with more expertise to give it a go, but I'm also something of a control freak.

I came down with Covid last weekend, so I took the opportunity of having my laptop in one place for an extended period of time to render my master copy. I rendered a ProRes master, imported it into Shutter Encoder, set everything up and set it rendering away.

Imagine my horror when – after 110 hours of rendering – I realised I'd accidentally set the bitrate to 1,500mbps, resulting in a 1.37gb file that looked like utter shit.

Always triple-check your final encode settings, folks. Especially when you're running a 100° fever and sleep deprived.

I love how perfectly your thread is set up! Gorgeous poster. Excellent clips. Very detailed changelist. I am excited for you to finish this edit. Great work!

If it's of any interest, a workprint of the movie that's at least 30 minutes longer than the theatrical has been discovered and is available online.
Will definitely check it out when I get the chance, thanks for the heads up.

This edit has been approved! Excellent work on a movie that quite honestly, I love to hate. I still don't like it but your edit certainly made it tolerable. Now the rest of them? Congratulations! Welcome to our family, @MightyAttackTribble!
Many thanks!

Since @bionicbob appears to be making every single change to The Final Frontier that I would have made, I'll skip making an edit on that one (I put it in the same class as Generations – a guilty pleasure). I'm tempted to try to make something passable out of Nemesis, but I outright dislike that movie.

Got two more projects in the works right now though, one of which is more or less ready to go. Will have a thread up soon.

Nemesis is tough - the only Trek movie I don’t like
I like The Motion Picture and The Voyage Home less, but not by much. The only real props I can give Nemesis is the battle sequence is pretty good, and Jerry Goldsmith's score is solid. Not his best, by any means, but better than the movie deserved.

It’s very tricky - I almost wonder if it could be re-edited into a poignant Short Trek instead of film, focusing on Data and his sacrifice during this battle, with maybe flashback footage to TNG, and bits of Picard as he remembers Data - excising most of the story, except this individual on his journey and how he nobly faces the end. It could even open during the battle - they’re fighting Romulans, that might be enough to know - it’s Data and his journey that matters. Just thinking out loud as I type!

I’m two-thirds of the way through Regenerations, those cuts of Data’s humor really help!

My review:

STAR TREK: REGENERATIONS is easily superior to the theatrical cut. @MightyAttackTribble (can I call you MAT?) made two significant choices which improved the film. One is Data - he's no longer distracting/somewhat annoying as in the original. This improves both the tone and the flow of several scenes. This also has the effect of allowing the viewer to engage with Data's journey a little more - because he's no longer been distracting us as we watch, when we see him experience pure joy at finding Spot, we're able to feel that with him.

Another is Kirk - cutting so that Kirk's last line is "It was fun", while a small change, allows the character to go out with a little more dignity. Furthermore, incorporating the short film of Spock visiting Kirk's grave increases the poignancy of that event, adding weight to Kirk's end. And tying Spock's visit to the grave to Picard's speech works very well - it integrates strands of the film (Picard's and Kirk's personal struggles, themes of loss and acceptance) more closely, thus strengthening the story overall.

Other changes were welcome as well - the opening on the B flows better, and simplifying the battle works very well. I'm more or less fine with the battle as it was presented, but this is an improvement. The only thing I might have kept is Data exclaiming, "Yes!" I understand MAT's reasoning, but keeping this might work, given Data being overwhelmed by emotions, even during their dire circumstances.

There were two times I noticed a cut, both on the bridge, at different points in the of the film. But I think MAT did as good a job possible given the constraints of the original - I don't think those cuts could have been done any better. The music was well done, the color was beautiful - a very professional edit.

Generations never grabbed the way some of the other Trek films do. But while this edit hasn't made the movie into one of my favorites, it's turned the picture into something far more engaging and enjoyable than the original. The film's pacing and characters improved, I can now ponder a bit more on its themes, and I'm thankful for the edit. This is the version I'll show to my son when he's older - my wife and I give it two thumb's up!

Belated congrats!
str-now-on-ifdb.png

Back
Top Bottom