• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek: Picard

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
So any theories who the mysterious girl Dahj is?  A hybrid science experiment gone wrong?

I think she's going to be Picard's daughter, although maybe I'm just too cynical and giving too little credit to the creativity of the people making the show.

asterixsmeagol said:
I'm surprised by the tepid response this trailer is getting here. Everybody I've talked to in real life who has watched it is really excited.

A lot of people feel "burned" by the divisive "Star Trek: Discovery" and don't trust CBS to make a good Star Trek show right now, rumors of behind-the-scenes turmoil on the production have abounded, the trailer doesn't make this series seem anything like the 1980s-1990s Star Trek shows whose fans are the primary audience that it's trying to reach (it closer resembles the J.J. Abrams movies, minus a few lens flares), and the marketing overall has a desperate atmosphere of "We're losing fans, so let's rush out something as fan-servicy as possible to try to win some back!" Plus, while it's easy to just ignore "Star Trek: Discovery" if one doesn't like it, it's going to feel like a tragedy if a show featuring the one and only Sir Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, and Jeri Ryan turns out bad, which makes many fans feel nervous due to the high "stakes" entailed by such an illustrious cast.

I hope it's good, but I'm very skeptical at this point. So far, it looks like another Abrams-esque actioner with a Star Trek veneer, rather than anything resembling classic Star Trek. The whole production seems to scream of the desperation of people who want to please fans of classic Star Trek without understanding what made those shows and movies so beloved in the first place.

So right now, I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to this show. The bright side is that if it is good after all, I'll be pleasantly surprised, which is always a nice feeling.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
bionicbob said:
So any theories who the mysterious girl Dahj is?  A hybrid science experiment gone wrong?
I think she's going to be Picard's daughter, although maybe I'm just too cynical and giving too little credit to the creativity of the people making the show.

Picard's daughter... who is half Borg! Dun dun duuuuuhnnn!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think she's Hugh's daughter.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
IIRC, Data also had a "daughter." He disassembled her, but maybe someone took her memory and implanted it into a new, older-looking body. Considering how often Data is brought up in this trailer, it seems like the show runners are telling us to make a connection. And she can run really fast, which also suggests machine-like ability (not that Data is known for his running, but the running looks like it's supposed to be faster than human to me). 

My theory (and this is admittedly just a theory) is that when Picard realizes who she is, Picard will feel like he owes it to Data to look after his (Data's) legacy. Of course, this could all just be deliberate red herrings--what they want us to think.

I'm guessing the new Data is yet another model invented by Dr. Noonien Soong, one who will have to begin his own journey to being human again with Picard's help. That's pretty much where it looked like they were going with B4, but using a new unit allows them to avoid having to bring up B4.

But, again, these are all just theories.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
IIRC, Data also had a "daughter."

My theory (and this is admittedly just a theory) is that when Picard realizes who she is, Picard will feel like he owes it to Data to look after his (Data's) legacy.

That idea is almost too good because if you're correct I really don't want to see them screw up a continuation of one of the most powerful TNG stories.

Didn't Data sort of clone her from his own programming/circuitry or something, so she could be a backup for him?

Wow, that Stargazer model (drool). They never did an official kit of that IIRC.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, let's hope they get it right if this is where they're going with the story!

The cloning thing sounds right, but it's been a long time since I've seen that ep.

DANLAV05

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday Si Pat filmed a scene with his ol mate Jonny F [his FIFTH Trek show on screen and sixth if you count directing DSC] and at the end of the week he's putting on a uniform for a flashback scene (Short Trek?)

Exciting!!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know the bit at the end of the trailer where Stewart looks right into the camera and says "Engage". It's telling that I can only be 90% sure that that's just a promo thing for the trailer and not a shot from the actual show :D ...on reflection, that percentage is dropping.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, when I saw that, I also thought he's just talking to the camera, and that moment won't actually be in the show.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I've got it figured out. It's a time travel story. The girl is *drumroll* Rey's mother. Boom, and the new SW trilogy will be called Trek Wars. The great conjunction is coming, behold the two shall become one! :p

In short, I've got a bad feeling about this. Hopefully this show won't metaphorically put on a red shirt.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I don't always trust Midnight's Edge... they seem to be very hit and miss on reliability... but this was interesting....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The final product might end up similar to something Fuller mentioned at some point while he was working for CBS, but I don't think that counts as it being stolen.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canuck trailer dropped...

hhhhmmmm.... so they are doing RENEGADES?

I liked this trailer more than the last one.  It is definitely pushing the nostalgia buttons in me.  
But again, what is the deal with the Lord of the Rings Elf????????  :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That didn't play in my region, this did (I assume it's the same trailer):

Mixed reaction. That it removes any last hope that this will be a show about trekking to the stars and exploring new worlds... and not one continuous action adventure story is disappointing. On the other hand, I don't think I can resist seeing all these beloved characters reuniting :) .

What is up with Data's wig though? The hairline and the height of it look very distracting to me.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Toupees have really gone to shit since Kirk's time, if Data's horrifying rug is anything to go by. No wonder Picard goes nude.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the Short Trek "CHILDREN OF MARS"...

Loved it.

It is very short, maybe 6 minutes.  Almost no dialogue, shot more like a music video.... it was very powerful.

There is a blink and you will miss it major plot reveal that has made me very excited for the Picard series.

Only 13 days to go....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was surprisingly emotionally effecting for how short it was.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Watched the Short Trek "CHILDREN OF MARS"...

Loved it.

It is very short, maybe 6 minutes.  Almost no dialogue, shot more like a music video.... it was very powerful.

There is a blink and you will miss it major plot reveal that has made me very excited for the Picard series.

Only 13 days to go....

Really? I thought it was quite dull. And why was must they keep overusing that Bowie song?

Top Bottom