• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Star Trek: Picard - Season 2 "The Watcher"

I've decided to title this edit "The Watcher", but I need some help getting it to look ok on screen. I want it to appear just below the show title during the opening credits, but I'd like it to have particle effects added similar to what's going on with the rest of the graphics on screen. I tried playing around with some of the built-in options in Vegas, but nothing looks very good. Any tips?
I haven't tried this myself, but if you have Adobe After Effects, this seems to work:

I've incorporated all of the tweaks my friend suggested and now I have a version that I'm comfortable sharing here as a workprint. Would anyone be interested in previewing it for me? Maybe The Warlord , DigModiFicaTion, or Wraith? Or is the proper way to do this to submit it to the Academy for review so you can sort it out yourselves?

Basic outline of changes:
  • Picard's mother and father cut
  • Soji cameo cut
  • Picard/Laris romance cut (even more necessary after Season 3)
  • ICE storyline minimized (I couldn't quite cut it all as intended)
  • Young Guinan cut
  • Picard/Guinan FBI arrest cut
  • Raffi acting crazy (mostly) cut
  • Raffi hallucinating Elnor cut
  • Soong's introduction moved much sooner
  • Soong's daughter cut
  • Seven/Raffi relationship minimized (don't think this is because it's same-sex; it's because it's boring)
  • Borgati singing cut
  • Wesley cameo cut
  • Rios's death being told like it's a funny anecdote cut
  • Many little trims of repeated/unnecessary dialogue or dramatic looks
  • Commercial breaks cut

The edit is still longer than I want, but I'm not sure of what else I could cut so that it still makes any kind of sense. My friend suggested that I further trim down Raffi's erratic behavior, the Borg Queen's over-the-top moments, and Rios' romance, but I'm not exactly sure how to do any more on those. Removing any more of Raffi basically cuts her out entirely (when isn't she acting crazy this season?), I don't want to cut anything more of Annie Wersching because it's her last role, and if I cut any more of the Rios story I'm afraid his decision to stay behind seems even more out of left field.
I look forward to checking this out.

Okay, Smeagol...your time has come. I will be honored to personally review your edit. This edit is currently being reviewed for approval.

I've decided to title this edit "The Watcher", but I need some help getting it to look ok on screen. I want it to appear just below the show title during the opening credits, but I'd like it to have particle effects added similar to what's going on with the rest of the graphics on screen. I tried playing around with some of the built-in options in Vegas, but nothing looks very good. Any tips?
I think making it like an episode title Instead of on the ST: Picard title would make more sense and visually look more appealing. I'd also be interested in watching your rough cut.

I really like the first one and last one Smeagol. They were very time consuming. šŸ˜

The posters look pretty good, but the last two are from season 1.

Oh sweet! I'm halfway through Wraith's incredible duology of Picard Season 1 edits and I was disappointed to see that he hadn't done season 2 but then I found this! Exciting!

Quick update for everyone: it turns out I have a lot of flash frames that are in my exported file but not my preview. I have figured out a way to find them all, but it's going to take a while to scrub through every transition in the edit to make sure they're all gone. There are also a couple other technical issues that I think I've been able to fix, but once I'm done with the flash frames I'll have to give the whole thing another watch to make sure everything is up to snuff. I've got a lot of real life going on right now too, so I don't have an estimate on when this will be done, but I just wanted to check in to let people know it's still being worked on.

I've finished fixing all of the flash frames and I've made a few other small trims here and there, and the corrected version has been submitted to the Academy for review.

I've also compiled new cinematic style scrolling credits that combine the end credit cards from all 10 episodes and added the character names for all of the guest roles (for some reason small parts had roles listed but bigger ones didn't), and I've gone through and removed all of the characters that no longer appear in the edit. For crew roles that were split among different people on different episodes, I've listed them all together in a single group (so Directors shows 5 people together). The final additions are a short list of people on this site who have previewed the edit and given me feedback, adding the FE.org logo to the various logos at the end of the credits, and adding the boilerplate "own the source" warning to the end of the credits. (It's also a bumper at the very beginning before the movie starts.)

I do also still need some help adding particle effects to "The Watcher" on the title screen if anyone is able to render assistance.

I do also still need some help adding particle effects to "The Watcher" on the title screen if anyone is able to render assistance.
You might want to consider a different Font for "THE WATCHER", something a bit more Trek-ish.
Or maybe in all upper case?
If you time a sound effect with the title fade-in, you might not need a particle effect to sell it.

Last edited:
You're right, all caps would look better. I hadn't fussed with the font too much either since I knew I was going to be changing things, but Bailey suggested I use Bahnschrift Condensed, which works quite well! He also showed me a mockup he did without any effects at all, and while it's not quite what I had envisioned, it actually does look quite good, so I've recreated it directly in Vegas.

You're right, all caps would look better. I hadn't fussed with the font too much either since I knew I was going to be changing things, but Bailey suggested I use Bahnschrift Condensed, which works quite well! He also showed me a mockup he did without any effects at all, and while it's not quite what I had envisioned, it actually does look quite good, so I've recreated it directly in Vegas.
Love that!!! Awesome idea!!!!

Would it be possible to have The Watcher visible for 2 or 3 seconds longer before the Delta obscures it?

I lengthened it just a little, but if I extend it too much forward it starts making Picard hard to read, and if I extend it much later it covers up the "based upon" credits. To make it stand out a little more, I did put in a color fade so that it shifts into the same orangeish hue as the other credits, which makes it pop over the Delta instead of getting obscured into the blackness.

I lengthened it just a little, but if I extend it too much forward it starts making Picard hard to read, and if I extend it much later it covers up the "based upon" credits. To make it stand out a little more, I did put in a color fade so that it shifts into the same orangeish hue as the other credits, which makes it pop over the Delta instead of getting obscured into the blackness.
Much better! Great work!!!! šŸ–– (y)

Back
Top Bottom