• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star trek: Into darkness fan edit

There's a 4th reason for removing Old Spock - if they had communications WHY DIDN'T THEY CONTACT EARTH FOR HELP. It was, like, right there.
(Also, why didn't Earth/Starfleet react in any way whatsoever to a massive starship battle by the moon. Did all the sensors malfunction? And where were the planetary defences?)
I like the movie, but those things grated a bit.
But it was COOL to see Old Spock... ;-)

TomH1138 said:
I'm someone who enjoyed STID more than most people seemed to, but there are definitely some things that could use some fixing. Consider me very interested in this edit.

Yes, get rid of the Khan references if you can. Dub in the characters saying "Harrison" wherever you can. If the lip sync doesn't match up, see if you can cut away to another character listening, then cut back to the speaking character. 

Also, please get rid of the Old Spock scene, which is by far the worst scene in the movie, IMO, for several reasons:

1) "I have decided not to interfere with the course of events by telling you about the future. However, having said that, let me now tell you everything without any further prodding."

2) Old Spock saying that Khan is the worst villain they've ever faced seems like a bit of nonsense to me. The filmmakers were trying to fashion Khan into Star Trek's version of Darth Vader, Voldemort, or the Joker. But guess what? Star Trek doesn't have a villain like that because it doesn't need to. Not every franchise has to be exactly the same.

3) Having gotten the information from Old Spock, Young Spock promptly does ... exactly nothing with the information. Take out the scene, and the rest of the movie plays out completely the same way -- as good a reason as any for its deletion. If the filmmakers had Old Spock give the information to Kirk -- if Kirk knew that originally, Khan killed Spock, so Kirk chose to sacrifice himself in his place -- the Kirk-death scene would have been loaded with dramatic irony and emotional resonance. But that's not what happened.

Anyway, are you thinking about using an alternate subtitle for your edit? If I could just throw one out there, I think The Seeds of Wrath would be cool, since the story is a mashup of "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan" (even though we want to remove the direct reference). And within the context of the story, the title would still make sense: We learn about the events that lead to Harrison's wrath. Anyhow, it's just a thought.

Whatever the case, I look forward to learning more about this!

I could use that as a possible title, thanks for the idea! I will be working on a brand new opening title sequence
in the style of the older ST films, and will share that soon here

Here is the new opening credits with the new (test) title.

You could change Spock yelling "Khan!" into "Kirk!"

addiesin said:
You could change Spock yelling "Khan!" into "Kirk!"

I have a potential ending I've put together, but once I've put it on vimeo I'll PM anyone who wants to see it, as I want this to be a surprise for as many people as possible ;)

Ooh, I love those '70s/'80s opening credits! Super cool-looking.

Of course, seeing the title I suggested was just awesome icing on the cake. :) But if you or someone else thinks of a better title at some point, that's OK too.

One note: That last name is spelled "Roddenberry," not "Roddenbury."

I look forward to seeing more progress on this!

TomH1138 said:
Ooh, I love those '70s/'80s opening credits! Super cool-looking.

Of course, seeing the title I suggested was just awesome icing on the cake. :) But if you or someone else thinks of a better title at some point, that's OK too.

One note: That last name is spelled "Roddenberry," not "Roddenbury."

I look forward to seeing more progress on this!

Thanks man! I'm actually surprised it works, and yea I thought there had to be a spelling error somewhere. I will post a refined credit sequence and pm you a second version of the ending based on suggestions I've been getting

Really like the Nic Myer-era inspired titles

Hmm, perhaps another intro music piece? I love Cliff Eidelman's score but it is decisively Star Trek VI for me.

While the name reveal for Kahn was forced, I thought the movie was a better rendition of the space seed story.

I feel like you would have to remove his mention of genetic engineering to truly remove the Kahn from the movie. Just make him some present (future) skinny smart strong man.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Hmm, perhaps another intro music piece? I love Cliff Eidelman's score but it is decisively Star Trek VI for me.

I have thought about using another score, but I found myself going back to that one since it is a dark, foreboding tone that works for this edit imo.

DigModiFicaTion said:
While the name reveal for Kahn was forced, I thought the movie was a better rendition of the space seed story.

I feel like you would have to remove his mention of genetic engineering to truly remove the Kahn from the movie. Just make him some present (future) skinny smart strong man.

When I first started the edit I did begin to remove the "superhuman modification" aspect from it, but then I eventually realized its too much too cut out from the film, leaving too many audio splices and possibly gaps in the dialouge and maybe even plot. I think just having him as one of khan's crew members (since this is an alternate reality and Khan would still be frozen) would be fine. But thanks for catching those things, I appreciate any feedback given :)

I have a first cut of the edit now exporting and about ready for me to watch. If I'm happy, then I'll upload to MEGA and share it with anyone who wants a peak.

So I watched the first cut and wasn't all too pleased with the errors I somehow missed :( in the meantime, I put up a challenge to anyone who would like to create a bluray cover for the edit :) I place no limits (why would I?) and will use more than one cover if there are that many

I'll take a crack at a cover for it. One question: what's the actual title of the edit?

Should this be moved to in-the-works now? Seems like it's in progress.

Smithers said:
Should this be moved to in-the-works now? Seems like it's in progress.

Good call. Thanks Smithers. Thread moved.

Awesome, and it's called Star Trek: Seeds of Wrath.

p.s. thank you again Tm2yc

ironman23 said:
Awesome, and it's called Star Trek: Seeds of Wrath.

p.s. thank you again Tm2yc

That's actually a pretty good title! I'll get on that soon.

Thank you, but tbh I can't take credit for coming up with it as TomH1138 fed me the idea lol.
I'll be looking forward to the cover, no rush at all, have at it :)

Seeing as no one else mentioned it, there's a few more spelling errors in the test opening other than Roddenberry.  (Just mentioning in case you haven't revisisted it yet.)

It should be Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Nazneen Contractor, Jonathan Dixon, Jeremy Raymond, Beau Billingsley, Jeffrey Chernov, Cliff Eidelman, Roberto Orci, and Michelle Rejwan.   ...and Kimberly Arland was actually credited as Kimberly Broumand in Into Darkness.

Those are some deep-dive acting credits for an opening.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom