• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek BUGS - An All New Star Trek OTS Episode

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 9 stars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 stars

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • 7 stars

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Hi KBM

About the credentials, yeah I know they're not really needed. I just didn't anyone thinking I was being a bit presumptuous, by making these comments when I've not got a lot of edits under my belt myself.

Your point was well taken about the amount of reading on my last edit. LOL. You can be sure I won't be making that mistake again on my next edit.

Cheers.

M.

I thought this edit was mind blowing, just for the sole reason that everying blended together so damn well.

Hats off to you Nick!

Sure some of the outfits change, but you could take this as time passing by (it works that way as well). In all honesty who cares? I did not even notice any of it. I was having way too much fun enjoying this edit

Sure some of the bug shots are repeated. So what? A ton of shows back in the 60's would do similar acts to save on the budget cost. If anything it makes this even more 60's authentic

If i had to pick one downside it was this: Towards the end, one of the bug shots still apears in a letterboxed format rather than full frame (dvd version)

I am giving this 4 1/2 fan edit stars--

Even if you are not a star trek fan (of which some of the people I showed this to are not) you can still have a good time watching this on a friday or Saturday night with friends--

Hi, This is to who ever controls the FanEdit.Org content.

I was wondering if it is possible to add Star Treck BUGS to the list of Famous Flicks under Starship Troopers and Star Trek?

I just get the feeling that BUGS will be lost forever if it stays only in the Short Movies section.

Maybe there should be a category for television show FanEdits, so they are separate from movie FanEdits?

Thanks Mollo

personally I think it should be listed. I think short movies should be considered anything roughly under 40 mins.

famous flicks: no.
Although your fanedit is Star Trek and Starship Troopers, it is not a movie and we (the staff) decided to separate the short movies clearly from the movies and somewhere there has to be a limit. It currently is 60 minutes.

The reason fro this separation is mainly that it is much less an effort to create a short movie than a long one (average creation time) and those should not be mixed.

If we would take your fanedit into these categories, we would have to do the exact same with all the other short movies and this is specifically why we invented the short movies category.

Another category for TV episodes: as soon as there are more, but not for one. Let it be 4 or 5 and then this would make sense.
Don't underestimate the short movies section. It is visited quite often.

Of course I understand your interest in wanting to be seen more and receive more attention. Still everything has to be categorized, so people can better find, what they are looking for.

There are many TV Shows that have had the FanEdit treatment on the FanEdit site, not just mine, (Trouble with Tribbles for instance and Marvel 24 is edited as a TV Show) and short films are short films not TV Shows so they should be listed correctly. You would not put Terminator in the Rom-Com section, would you?

Also there is absolutely no correlation between the length of a Film and the time it takes to edit. That is a fact.

A 2 Hour film with two deleted scenes added does not take as long to edit as a 15 minute film that has complicated edits and sound design through out.
With Bugs I created 40 minutes of new edits and a 40 minute soundtrack virtually from the ground up, so how much work is involved in that?

run time doesn't really matter to me... if anyone is wondering...

Nick Mollo said:
There are many TV Shows that have had the FanEdit treatment on the FanEdit site, not just mine, (Trouble with Tribbles for instance and Marvel 24 is edited as a TV Show) and short films are short films not TV Shows so they should be listed correctly.

I really do not want to be an instigator here, but he has a point.

the short movies section was created as a help for people to better categorize the fanedits and to rather support movies to episodes or short movies.
However, I don't have any interest in arguing about this.
So, effective now: short movies gone.
It was not meant as a degradation, but as a separation.

I'm glad to see this happen. I know you don't want to argue boon, but I would agree that a short movie can actually be much more difficult to edit. Mollo, here, had a two hour movie and six or seven episodes of Star Trek, to pick out of the original 70 or so, to somehow blend into a short film. I've been toodling with a mash-up myself, and just five or so minutes of good footage is ridiculously hard to edit into a cohesive scene.

Anyway, this edit I really enjoyed. Though I thought the editing and blending could have been better in terms of sound (for instance, you could have filtered the Starship Troopers audio to match the high treble 60s sound of the Star Trek episodes), I thought overall this was very easy to "get into" and enjoy. Of course some sequences are better than others, but it all worked really well for me. I'm not a big Trek watcher, so I couldn't identify the Star Trek footage as much, and was thusly better convinced. I think mash-ups should be geared more toward things like this, with characters from different movies actually interacting (no offense to the first ten minutes of Batman vs Predator or Marvel 24). Good job.

Just a quick Star Trek BUGS update. Since I am now using Final Cut Pro, I have resized the two offending Bug Shots that appear for a brief moment in wide screen and also changed very slightly the BUG attack scene to, I hope, make the fact that I am using the same footage less obvious. I have re-posted the revised version of BUGS on a torrent site as a DVD and Mp3. This means the RapidShare version is now out of date.

Torrent at Pirate Bay - Star Trek BUGS DVD Version - Menu, Scene Selection & Extras

It is very easy to criticizes a Fan-Edit like this, it welcomes criticism but some criticism is leveled at aspects of this Fan-Edit that were intentional.

You can imagine how hard it was to create some semblance of a logical story-line with this type of project. The continuity inconsistencies should be expected, even enjoyed and the difference between the Starship Troopers footage and the Star Trek OT series footage was intentional. In other-words, I wanted the audience to know when the changes occur, as a sort of joke, and that is why the score changes to heighten the point. Like a punch-line. I know most Fan-Edits aspire to seamlessness but this edit purposely goes against the grain. The choice of the SFX from the Original Star Trek series as opposed the the new re-mastered SFX was also a conscious decision, as in the shuttle crash landing, it was for your amusement.

I know this is a far from perfect Fan-Edit but, I hope, that is part of it's charm. It must be remembered that this is far from a serious piece of work. With the help of a little alcohol consumption, it might be good for half an hour of laughs. I would call it a comedy of errors.

As for merlin's review, it reads as if the reviewer so wanted to hate this FanEdit but could not. All I can say is that there is a lot less reading involved with Star Trek BUGS.

NickMollocopy.jpg

Hi Nick

You've obviously taken the first review of your first edit pretty much the same as I did with mine. I'll tell you the same that I was advised when I, quite angrily, PM responded to the reviewer of my first edit. He told me that these reviews are only meant as personal opinions, and for the most part, are ways to give advise to newer editors for ways that their presentations can be improved.

My first edit, a 2nd edition of an existing edit by the way, was not a work of art, it was flawed in so many ways. But I took the advice I was given and applied it to my second edit. But then that had it's flaws too, as you and so many others have pointed out, it had way too much reading. So again I've learnt from that, and in my third edit I'm due to release shortly, any reading is done by way of a menu screen that doesn't have to be watched as part of the main feature. I'm sure this new edit will have its flaws I'll be critised on too, but I'll take that and apply it to my third edit 'D-Day: The Longest Day'. Following that, I'm planning on doing a revised edition of my 'Phase II' edit.

I might point out mate, I did mention that I did enjoy your 'Bugs' edit, despite the technical flaws. I thought on the whole it was good, and enjoyable to watch. Yes I am a bit of a stickler for continuity, effects matching etc, but I certainly can take this edit for what it is meant to be. You will see in my review that I did actually pick out a few moments from the story that I particularly enjoyed, and would readily recommend it to others. I'm also looking forward to watching your 'Eleven' & 'V For Vendetta' edits too, and hopefully a 2nd edition of 'Bugs'.

So stick with it my friend, hope to see a lot more.

Cheers.

MERLIN. 8)

Merlin, Thanks for the reply. BUGS was a bit of fun really and elements that I intended seem to be taken as flaws. I was just trying to get some perspective as a few seem to think this FanEdit is serious in some way and that is missing the point.

So you are doing a Longest Day FanEdit? How strange because a few days ago I started editing that myself. What are your plans for it? I was going to take out all of the German side of the story and even their POVs and concentrate on the Allied perspective by adding some shots from Private Ryan, A Bridge to Far and a few other war picks. I have also introduced Lee Van Cleef into the mix.

Hi Nick

My edit is not just The Longest Day. It's a mixture of The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, and Day of Days from Band of Brothers. The story will concentrate on the night assaults and beach landings of the allies on D-Day, and like yours, will cut out most of the German POV.

That doesn't go to say that either one of us should not go ahead with their edits coz the other is also doing a similar edit. On the contrary, I think different edits of the same thing are better. Take a look at the Matrix and Star Wars films for example, how many people have done Star Wars I-III extended editions? My third edit is another Matrix Reloaded edit, which will be released shortly.

In the end my friend, it's obviously your decission if you go ahead with your Longest Day edit knowing that I'm also doing one similar. But I've already put a teaser trailer for it on my Matrix edit DVD, so I will deffinately be going ahead with mine.

Cheers.

MERLIN. 8)

Merlin,
So I take it this is going to be black and white?

That's right. All B&W with aspect ratios of Private Ryan and Band of Brothers matched to Longest Day.

Keep an eye out for my Matrix Reloaded edit, which will be out soon. There's a teaser trailer for my D-Day edit on it.

Cheers.

MERLIN. 8)

Thanks Merlin, I think mine might be too similar as it would be widescreen Black and white. So I will put mine on hold as I only just did the Omaha Beach sequence. I will check out your Matrix Fan-Edit. Is it a sequel remix?

Also do you keep Tom Hanks in yours Longest Day Cut?

Bestest Nick

Nick Mollo said:
It is very easy to criticizes a Fan-Edit like this, it welcomes criticism but some criticism is leveled at aspects of this Fan-Edit that were intentional.

You can imagine how hard it was to create some semblance of a logical story-line with this type of project. The continuity inconsistencies should be expected, even enjoyed and the difference between the Starship Troopers footage and the Star Trek OT series footage was intentional. In other-words, I wanted the audience to know when the changes occur, as a sort of joke, and that is why the score changes to heighten the point. Like a punch-line. I know most Fan-Edits aspire to seamlessness but this edit purposely goes against the grain. The choice of the SFX from the Original Star Trek series as opposed the the new re-mastered SFX was also a conscious decision, as in the shuttle crash landing, it was for your amusement.

I know this is a far from perfect Fan-Edit but, I hope, that is part of it's charm. It must be remembered that this is far from a serious piece of work. With the help of a little alcohol consumption, it might be good for half an hour of laughs. I would call it a comedy of errors.

As for merlin's review, it reads as if the reviewer so wanted to hate this FanEdit but could not. All I can say is that there is a lot less reading involved with Star Trek BUGS.

I thought it was on purpose and enjoyed the errors. I think too many fan edits are trying to be something they are not. They should be fun and not serious reworks of frustrated fans. This is my favorite ST edit since Trial and Tribulations by Pauley79. Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom