• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek (2009)

What is that thing that Scotty has?
He leaves it behind IIRC then it is there with him at the end!
I predict it will be the first casualty in a fanedit of the film.

SPOILERS

overall loved this movie. i went in with ZERO expectations and left very satisfied. the humor, in-jokes, and nostalgic references alone are worth admission (and i saw this at an IMAX matinee for $10).

...now enter in a pretty fun plot, explosions, space ships, leonard nemoy, and time travel and you have yourself a winner!

B+

stuff i didn't like:
* why is james such a sissy bitch all the time?
* i think spock was played too loosely.
* where did that romance come from? ...awkward.
* total time of birthing labor: 3 minutes. um...
* too much is revealed in conversation rather than revelation.
* a little too sporadic.
* this felt like an alternate cut of star wars.
* this felt like an alternate cut of starship troopers.
* this felt like ... (you get the idea)
* kirk was cast poorly
* where did scotty's alien friend come from?
* the young james could be cut completely. totally unnecessary.
* the transformers-like entrance of uhura (no she isn't megan fox)

Having heard some good things about Star Trek (2009) I was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. I found myself enjoying the ride up until Vulcan is destroyed and in the aftermath, Spock and Uhura start to make-out in the lift. What was this all about? From then on it seemed as if one action scene followed another with very little pause. I got bored quite soon after that.

I have to say that Karl Urban was great as Bones and Zoe Saldana was an appealing Uhura. While Chris Pine as Kirk was a bit of a disappointment, the biggest let-down was the overly-emotional performance by Zachary Quinto. Spock has that particular manner (and vocal delivery) and Quinto failed to translate it.

On the whole this is bubble-gum film making with little or no relevant point to make, which I assumed was the whole point of the original Star Trek... using Science-Fiction to make relevant points. I would loved to have seen a cameo by Shatner. An opportunity missed.

I love the Shat as much as the next guy, but he's simply become too large to play the part. Future medical advances would have kept him much more slender then he is, so I'm afraid I can't endorse him playing the role again.

I liked the Spock romance angle. He's younger; he'll outgrow it. :p

Agreed on the pacing. Still... best Star Wars movie in decades! :)

Wow! That's what I call entertaining movie! I had fun watching new star trek from start to finish!

8,5/10! (means really good in my movie scale)

I'm listening to the audiobook of the movie and it cleared up one niggling thought.
Remember when Jim steals the 'vette and is riding down the highway and passes another boy?
When passing him I thought "hmm. he seems relevant".
It turns out that is George Kirk. Jim's older brother running away from home.

interesting. i don't remember any indication as to who that could be. good find.

Oh and the 'vette was George Kirk Sr.'s car.
The Stepdad was having Jim cleaned it so he could sell it.
Prick. :-x

I was watching Star Trek the other day, and although the events seen in that film do alter the Star Trek universe somewhat, I was trying to think of what assumptions can be made. My main assumption is that most of Star Trek as we have seen it still happens. But then what changes will there be? The following is only speculation:

* Whenever we have seen Spock's mother in Star Trek, that will now not happen. So she will not appear in "Journey to Babel" or Star Trek III.
* We can also assume that whenever Vulcan is discussed in any of the incarnations of Star Trek, it is the new Vulcan colony that (old) Spock refers to at the end of the film, it could possibly be named "New Vulcan".
*We see Kirk's brother in "Operation Anihilate", that could now be his half-brother to the person his mother married after the death of George Kirk at the start of the new movie. The person that young Kirk receives a call from when he steals the car at the start of the new movie.
*There is obviously now a different reason that Chris Pike ends up in a wheel chair, but "The Menagerie" can still happen as shown, other than the fact that we must now assume that Pike and Spock visited Talos ("The Cage") on a previous mission before the Enterprise was built.
* As Chekov is already on the Enterprise when Kirk takes command, then we must assume that he must have taken a different position on the ship for what we see as season 1 of Star Tek TOS, that keeps him away from the camera. This also then fits in with Khan saying that he remembers Chekov from the Enterprise in Star Trek II, even though Chekov never actually appeared in "Space Seed" from TOS.

Those are the main ones I can think of, I'd be interested in listening to any other ideas that anybody has.

THere are two timelines now. (Not counting all the other ones we already encountered over the years.)

"Classic" timeline, which still exists completely. Some time after Nemesis, Romulus is destroyed and Spock disappears forver.

New timeline, in which all bets are apparently off. Everything has been altered to a point where no specific event is certain to happen.

Whoo-hoo! Star Trek's achievement in makeup wins the franchise it's very first Oscar! Sweet! :)

StarTrekMoviePoster.jpeg

i know many will disagree - but it would have been awesome if star trek had been nominated for best pic - i mean if the blind side can get in, everything can

yes it would be cool: star trek, district 9, avatar and moon maybe.....in other words year of scifi!

Sci-Fi needs its own private Academy Awards - Best Original Idea, Best Sequel, Best Prequel, Best Current Episode in the Franchise, Best Digital Character in a Supporting Role...

Sci-Fi needs its own private Academy Awards - Best Original Idea, Best Sequel, Best Prequel, Best Current Episode in the Franchise, Best Digital Character in a Supporting Role...

I agree!

academy cashmademy - those jerks can suck it.
sci-fi/horror/comedy if a film is great it deserves recognition same as the arty-farty drama films, in more ways than make-up and effects. I dont mean that star trek 09 should have won any major awards but the sci-fi/horror/comedy genres always get the shaft at the big hoity toity awards ceremonies which is why i dont care much for their input/recommendations.
/rant

Back
Top Bottom