• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Trek (2009)

Tubes said:
Am I the only one who here who isn't too keen about this movie? It's not that I'm anti-Trek (in fact, probably the furthest thing from it), but everything I've seen of this film is that it's an empty sci-fi spectacle without the usual Trek weight and subtext behind it. As if Abrams watch the Trek movies in preparation, but didn't analyze them.

well, unless you have seen something more than the trailers - thats to be expected. Trailer(s) is/are all about wowing the non-trekkies to get asses in seats. I'd be surprised if there wasnt a traditional story (complete w/ weight and subtext) buried in there amongst the sci-fi spectacle.

I am worried because the new Kirk has no jaw.

Saw this last night. Went in pretty skeptical. It's been a long, long time since I've been excited about a Star Trek movie. But wow, this was a great piece of entertainment! It was suspenseful, awe-inspiring, clever, and funny all at the same time...and overall just a joy to watch. "Fun" is probably the best word to describe it. It was like spending time with some old friends and being reminded of what you loved about them in the first place. Plus, it illuminates a chapter of Star Trek lore that we've never seen and never really heard much about. There were no cringeworthy moments, and I'd really struggle to find anything negative to say about this movie.

As far as the performances, the standouts to me were Anton Yelchin as Chekov (had the accent down PERFECTLY), Karl Urban as McCoy (really worked hard to pay homage to DeForest Kelly's version), and Zoe Saldana (Who knew Uhura was so HOT?) Simon Pegg's Scotty was hilarious and shows up at the perfect time in the story. He just nailed it. I look forward to seeing more of him in the inevitable sequels.

Chris Pine makes a great debut here and includes extremely subtle Shatner-isms in his performance. From his chest-puffed walk, to little, barely discernable facial expressions and eye movements will remind you of Shatner from time to time, without the stilted delivery of a cliche Jim Carrey-style impersonation, thank God. He makes a great young Kirk who you can easily imagine growing into the Captain we know from the original series and especially the later movies.

Zachary Quinto probably had the hardest job in this movie, considering his classic counterpart (Leonard Nimoy) is actually in the film for real-time comparison. I've never seen Heroes, so I wasn't sure what to expect from him, but I thought he did a pretty good job considering the challenges of the role. He didn't remind me of Leonard Nimoy at all, but I could see him fit as a younger, slightly more emotional Spock than we've ever seen on screen. Let's face it, those are big shoes to fill, especially when he's IN the movie.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised and had a great night at the movies. I'd recommend this to any former fan who has since given up on Star Trek. It's a whole new experience of the franchise. And for those who have never been a fan, but know all the pop-culture references of all the characters...I think those are the people who are really going to love it. Highly recommended for anyone and everyone really.

Go see it!

--ID

way to go ID, now you have gone and shattered my skepticism :wink:
thanks for the positive review, I hope to catch this one soon as they'll accept my "free movie pass"

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. For me, Pine and Urban were the standouts. Top notch versions of Kirk and McCoy without going too far into impersonation mode.

The film is new and old at the same time. I was surprised at how much of a traditional Trek film it was at it's core. I think only the real purists will hate this one. ...And the odd whiner here and there, naturally. :)

Lotsa nice subtle references to the Prime Universe too. Chairs and apples and friends, oh my!

I liked it, but not as much as a lot of other people did. It's a good beginning, but has flaws of it's own. Mostly a plot that falls apart once you try to pick it apart. But it's good fun and the best summer movie out there.

A comparison to Batman Begins would be apt, as they both have the same strengths and flaws. Just one is 20 minutes longer and another tries to blind you.

On another forum I went to, someone did two reviews. A normal review and uber-Trekkie review. Normal gave it a 7/10 and Trekkie gave it a 4.5/10.

I really enjoyed it. Eric Bana was a bit of a dud for me, but otherwise it was, as Tubes said, a great summer blockbuster. I thought it was a very well done update to the franchise, and a lot of fun. Of course, I am not a Trekkie/er, so bear that in mind. ;)

InfoDroid said:
"Fun" is probably the best word to describe it.

totally, this is exactly how i felt when watching it. i was also sceptical and deliberately didnt build it up but after about 20 mins that was all forgotten and i was just enjoying the ride.

So, I just got a call from MovieStop saying my Star Trek Blu-Ray box-set (the first six movies) has been delayed by Paramount on the eve of release. The rep told me the studio said they weren't expecting this amount of interest in the older films and hadn't printed enough copies to distribute...

What the hell is Paramount thinking? They just rebooted a beloved franchise. Of COURSE people are going be interested in buying the old ones in a brand-new format and showing them to their kids, etc. Complete and utter dumbasses running those Hollywood studios. :lol:

One of these guys ain't going home... :lol:

star-trek-20090507103947757_640w.jpg

As a lifelong Trekker, I'm very much conflicted about this movie. Yes, it was fantastically entertaining, and far better than the SW prequels... but a certain Trek-ness was definitely missing.

Considering how badly Voyager and Enterprise poisoned the well, a movie like this may well have been necessary. So I give Abrams and Co. one tentative pass, and congratulate them on a crackling good popcorn flick, but I think this movie's legacy will ultimately depend upon what follows it.

I loved this movie!
As many already said, it's a fun SF movie. Which is good, but IMO a real SF masterpiece needs to be a little more serious in tone, maybe. But it was not the goal of the moviemakers. It's just a really good entertaining movie, a great reboot that can also be considered as a sequel (nice tour de force!), and that was all I asked.
I only hope that the next one will be more dark, like what ESB was to SW.

PS: Does anyone also feels that this snow monsters sequence is like: "look, Red Cloverfield is stronger than a CGI Wampa!" (in other words: "Our new Star Trek is stronger than SW!"

InfoDroid said:
So, I just got a call from MovieStop saying my Star Trek Blu-Ray box-set (the first six movies) has been delayed by Paramount on the eve of release. The rep told me the studio said they weren't expecting this amount of interest in the older films and hadn't printed enough copies to distribute...

What the hell is Paramount thinking? They just rebooted a beloved franchise. Of COURSE people are going be interested in buying the old ones in a brand-new format and showing them to their kids, etc. Complete and utter dumbasses running those Hollywood studios. :lol:

I have been reading that "they" (I assume paramount) didnt perform a new transfer for these new star trek bluray's instead offering digitally enhanced (DNR) transfers from SD sources. Only STII has been remastered for HD. I dont know if this is true but it would be a shame.

Just a heads up, many customer reviews on Amazon.com cry foul.

I have been reading that "they" (I assume paramount) didnt perform a new transfer for these new star trek bluray's instead offering digitally enhanced (DNR) transfers from SD sources. Only STII has been remastered for HD. I dont know if this is true but it would be a shame. Just a heads up, many customer reviews on Amazon.com cry foul.

Yes, I've been following the "saga". :lol: DNR... No Director's Cuts... No advance reviews... Dodgy screenshots... and now, not enough copies being printed...

In my opinion, these are some of the best movies of the 80's. I think it's a shame the studio didn't think Star Trek was marketable enough to justify doing a full Godfather-style restoration on all the films. But I'm sure they eventually will a few years down the road, paving the road to yet another double-dip, which is what has most people upset. Some of those who have received the set though have said the bad reviews online are greatly exaggerated, and that the picture quality may not be a full Hi-Def master but is still leaps and bounds beyond the quality of the existing DVD for the average movie-watcher, not to mention the sound. We'll see... I still haven't gotten a call to pick it up yet. :p

--ID

well as long as you know, because knowing is half the battle ;)
too bad they didn't release the films seperately as I'd probably grab 1+2. As that "genesis trilogy" set (containing ST II, III, IV) has to be the strangest boxset I have ever seen.
I'll wait for the double dip.

A box of 2/3/4 makes sense because those films directly lead from one to the next. The others are more like standard episodes that exist as their own stories without another one needing to connect to it to make it complete.

I understand the reasoning I just think its odd. Are there really that many trek fans that would rather own just the genesis saga and not the whole set? its just a strange marketing move IMO.

elbarto1 said:
I understand the reasoning I just think its odd. Are there really that many trek fans that would rather own just the genesis saga and not the whole set? its just a strange marketing move IMO.

I think its more of a way to get people who enjoy TWOK but not Trek in general to invest in the franchise. 6 films is a lot, but maybe some would be willing to drop some money on the trilogy if they see that TWOK is involved. I'm not buying Blu-Ray yet, but if I were I would probably buy this set rather than a six film set as I loathe both TFF and TMP in its original form.

:wat: are there any other versions of TFF?
I agree it sucks, but was unaware of any other cuts.

I don't think so. They've talked for years about paying William Shatner to do a "Director's Version"...letting him go back and do the special effects sequences he wasn't able to do at the time. Who knows if it'll ever come to fruition? Plus I'm not sure how much it'll really improve the disaster that is Trek 5. It has its moments, but for the most part it feels as awkward and out-of-place as Nemesis.

well... for me it was pretty much exactly what i expected when i heard they were doing "young kirk in the academy"... overall it was a fun scifi action flick.... but definitely not a great film by any means... the script was a little shallow... a little too "teen angsty" for me... the characters didn't really feel like the real characters... they felt more like a collection of cliches of the original characters... they felt like caricatures of the originals, and not the originals themselves... which i think is largely due to the writing... also, it felt very... "forrest gump"y.... by that i mean... you know how forrest was always put in these highly improbably historic situations... like being the one to call the police about watergate, or being at the school in alabama, or helping create the smiley tshirts, and the "shit happens" thing.... well... it worked for a movie like forrest gump... but for this... it just felt like they were trying to cram all of these characters into places where they really couldn't have reasonably fit... felt way too forced to me.... almost everything about the movie felt forced.... very cliched.... when there's an alien in the background, the camera specifically highlights it.... like saying "hey look, there an alien in this scifi movie... wink wink"... and when kirk is constantly looking at girls in the beginning... "hey look... kirk is such a girl chaser... wink wink"... lol just felt WAY too forced... and not natural at all....

as i said... as a big fun summer scifi action movie... it was fun... but it definitely had it's problems... i definitely wouldn't consider it one of the best star trek films... but, as a decent couple hours of mindless fun, it worked...

EDIT: I think this could have been a great star trek film... if they just hadn't tried to shove the original series characters into it... just the the movie in a different time from what had come before... new characters... a new ship... and it would have been perfect... but to me... the whole film just felt too forced... most of which had to do with finding ways to shove things from the original series in there... whether they belonged or not.... but if they hadn't had to deal with that... they could have been a lot free-er... and not confined... just my thoughts anyway...

Back
Top Bottom