• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Stanley Kubrick Thread

What is your favorite Stanley Kubrick film after 1957?

• Paths of Glory

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Spartacus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lolita

• Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • A Clockwork Orange

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Barry Lyndon

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Shining

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
Why is Spielberg the default Kubrick gravedigger? I can easily think of a dozen directors better suited to a Kubrick project.

Agreed Dom, like I said before, I can understand why some people hate the combination. It's like sugar and salt. But that makes MSG, and while MSG may be bad for you, I still like it in my food. Because it tastes good. Here ends the analogy.

Hook. Indy 4. It is possible for Spielberg to fuck up, and I'm always worried when someone takes on the work of a dead visionary. Drillbit Taylor comes to mind.

reave said:
Hook. Indy 4. It is possible for Spielberg to fuck up, and I'm always worried when someone takes on the work of a dead visionary. Drillbit Taylor comes to mind.

The prosecution rests.

You no like AI? I'm guessing the answer be no.

I think it's an ok Spielberg flick, though not one I'm sure I'll revisit very often. It's not, however, a decent Kubrick film.

I've seen all 28 Spielberg films and I can say I like all of them. Sure; Hook, Indy 4, 1941, and Always are no masterworks; but they're all good, at least in my mind.

Also, I love me some Kubrick.

I like 1941 and Always. I'm just iffy about someone/anyone trying to fill Kubrick's shoes. I hope it turns out good, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Steven Spielberg Presents Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon would suck no doubt.

^ Word, this thing has Michael Bay written all over it, I'm pumped!!! Imagine it, Naepoleon HIMSELF vs. a million CG enemies flying through the air in slow mo with jet packs, and all Napoleon has is a tiger tank fitted with NOS, who doesn't want to see that?

Jurassic Park The Lost World also sucked balls. This can go either way.

g1orkatsos said:
Jurassic Park The Lost World also sucked balls. This can go either way.

Stanley Kubrick directed The Lost World?! :shock:

Gatos said:
Stanley Kubrick directed The Lost World?! :shock:
I was referencing the fact that Spielberg is going to direct a Kubrick idea and what the others said about the not so good Spielberg movies. I should have been a little more clear

g1orkatsos said:
I was referencing the fact that Spielberg is going to direct a Kubrick idea and what the others said about the not so good Spielberg movies. I should have been a little more clear

I understand. You were perfectly clear. I made a poor attempt at humor. :-(

Neglify said:
Steven Spielberg Presents Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon would suck no doubt.

Well this could get interesting. Baz Lurhman eyes directing Napoleon. HBO mini-series produced by Spielbergo, using Kubrick's script. No deal, just rumors or whatever.

I'd definitely watch this if he directed. I have yet to see Great Gatsby but I've seen earlier stuff and he's good. Moulin Rouge sucked though.

Lost Kubrick

http://vimeo.com/m/99288975

Hope this 20 minute documentary hasn't been posted.

Description:

Narrated by Malcolm McDowell, this short documentary examines the films Stanley Kubrick developed but didn't live long enough to make. Features interviews given by Kubrick’s longtime producer Jan Harlan, Jack Nicholson,Sydney Pollack etc. Through interviews and abundant archival materials, this documentary examines these "lost" films in depth to discover what drew Kubrick to these projects, the work he did to prepare them for production, and why they ultimately were abandoned. Some of the unfinished project discussed here are “Napoleon” , “The Aryan Papers” and also “A.I” (which we know finally made by Steven Spielberg).
*like this post? Follow me at frame-paradiso.tumblr.com for more.

Neglify said:
Well this could get interesting. Baz Lurhman eyes directing Napoleon. HBO mini-series produced by Spielbergo, using Kubrick's script. No deal, just rumors or whatever.

I'd definitely watch this if he directed. I have yet to see Great Gatsby but I've seen earlier stuff and he's good. Moulin Rouge sucked though.
I've read the original script by Kubrick (the pdf is online), it is not set up as a mini series tho, it kind of had that loss of innocence vibe that citizen Kane has, bookended by closeups of napoleons childhood teddy bear. There are lapses in time to fit the film into a 3 hour otime frame, etc . Ie I'm guessing there'll be a ton of stuff added on by the production team, unless this mini series is 3 hours.

From all the stuff I've read and watched about him, Kubrick often used the script as a template to start with, but was always open to ideas on set and changed accordingly (like the brilliant improvisations by george c Scott, lee ermey and especially peter sellers).
Douglas trumbull said in an interview that when he asked kubrick what he was looking for in a particular shot on 2001, he said, "I don't know what I want, but I know what I don't want..."

Back on point tho, if they really wanted to "honor his memory" they'd straight up make the film. But whatever, something is better than nothing I guess...

Wow wow wow... Check out Kubrick's original treatment for "The Shining".
I haven't read it all yet, only the first 10 pages, but this feels much closer to the original book than what he ended up filming. Very excited to read this all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom