• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Spider-Man 4 - Will it suck?

Omaru1982 said:
He's saying that just because you write a successful animated project, you don't have to be stuck writing animated work for the rest of your career. Although in a way Seth McFarlane already proved this (though not really because he just wrote a live action cartoon)

/\
|
Smart Guy, I like him :)

Unfortunately, both you and Omaru completely missed what I was saying. :)

Of course, people who write animation have also written live-action. Paul Dini wrote an episode of Lost. Marc Zicree wrote Superfriends and The Real Ghostbusters before switching to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Linda Woolverton did finally write live action when she wrote Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (which I believe I mentioned in the original post).

None of that has to do with my point, and it doesn't contradict it. I'm saying that studios don't look to their animated departments to write the next film in that same genre. Dini has never written a Batman movie. The people who made Amazing Spider-Man what it was (for better or for worse) are not any of the same people who are currently writing the Ultimate cartoon series.

If George Lucas had tapped one of the writers from the Clone Wars cartoons for Ep. VII, then that would be a point against what I was saying. But he didn't. He went outside the company. He found someone who had written an indie comedy that was nothing like Star Wars, and he found someone who had worked for Disney/Pixar before. He didn't promote from within. That's what I was saying all along.

So, to sum up: I'm a senator! Wait, that's not right . . . :p

P.S. And I hope I didn't sound ticked off. The above post was just trying to make things clearer.

At any rate, I'm looking for parts for a J-type 327 Nubian!

never dated a nubian before. but color me interested.

juice4z0 said:
I think i might just take up this challange after i release Avengers and True Blood. This has been brewing in my mind for days since i saw your clip. Very very good idea, and of course you will be given credit for the idea if and when i make the edit

I am really hoping you take up the task in HD ...... this kind of movie looks far better in at least 720p.

Other than adding in some of the Danny Elfman soundtrack (which I have been a big fan of with a few concepts of it already,) I am excited to see what else you are thinking about cutting/tightening.

Hopefully that crane sequence at the end is tightened and the every crane helping out at once is cut completely.

Another example of the Elfman score used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lrIyGFX-pDs#![/video]

Let's not hijack this thread, look for a itw thread in the next couple of dAys to answer your questions.

Wow i just Finked myself :p

TomH1138 said:
P.S. And I hope I didn't sound ticked off. The above post was just trying to make things clearer.

At any rate, I'm looking for parts for a J-type 327 Nubian!

1148567_700b.jpg

I agree with the post above mine though too, the cranes need to go, though I'm not really fond of the execution of many sequences in the film, if there were a way I'd like for you to to lose "but those are the best kind." Really hate that line and it sort of adds to Peters dickishness (is that a word) making you feel he's gained no sense of responsibility.

Well, Gaith posting the honest trailer for DKR made me realize something: Why has it taken me so long to post this?

Though if you ask me, this one didn't go far enough.

This whole movie ended up on YouTube. **link removed**

link removed. I know it is a youtube link, and nothing explicit in our rules forbidding this, but that is an obvious copyright infringement. Honestly, I'm amazed it is still online. Either way, we don't want to promote that sort of thing here. Please refrain from linking videos that are obvious copyright infringements.

Finally, saw this movie. Wow, it's been like a year since this came out. A couple days ago, I was at my local library and stumbled across it there along with the others DVD's. Kinda surprised it was just there, usually films that are 1-2 years old are always on hold or something. Anyhow, I took the opportunity to watch it.

Now, being a huge MCU movie fan, and never having enjoyed virtually any superhero movie (be it DC or Marvel) I was pretty skeptical. (Though Raimi's Spiderman is pretty bad. Only saw part of the first, never finished it, because I found it so terrible.) However, after watching this film, I'd easily put it right up there in quality to the MCU, and in one aspect was better than The Avengers. Now while the score was a bit lacking, and there were a few VFX shots that aren't too good, the overall atmosphere of the film was great. It had that cool weird mad science feel, but at the same time it had that feeling of regular earth (though it didn't really have any real life cameos like in the Iron Man films). And the great thing, was that the color grading and cinematography was perfect for me. Having shot on a Red Epic before, I know the amazing picture the camera can put out, but many times is undermined by bad unfilmic oversaturated inaccurate color grades. This film didn't have that, something other films shot on Red have had. Now, The Avengers wasn't shot on an Epic or a One, and honestly I don't know why. The Avengers looks terrible compared to this film. The Amazing Spiderman looks like a big budget blockbuster, while The Avengers looks like Marvel's Agents Of Shield (a TV show with a far lower budget). And that film, beyond the lesser cameras had lacking cinematography and the colors aren't even correct the whole time.

So long story short, nothing much to complain here. I can't really go into to much depth when a film is good as compared to bad. I love this film, and can't wait to see the second one.

It's funny how different people examine films from their different perspectives in life. As an aspiring screenwriter, I was in awe of how Joss Whedon really managed to make a big team film work in a way that had never been done before, in The Avengers. And the movie looked visually amazing to me. Meanwhile, I was bored with ASM essentially rehashing the plot of the 2002 movie, while raising interesting questions and not pursuing them (such as what really happened to Peter's parents). The answers to such questions will probably be in the sequel, but I don't go to movies to see 2-hour trailers for the sequel. :p

But you're coming at it from a cinematographer's perspective. You can actually identify the brand of camera being used to shoot each film! That's fascinating to me. So while I respectfully disagree, I can certainly say you brought an interesting and unique perspective to the discussion! :)

TomH1138 said:
The answers to such questions will probably be in the sequel, but I don't go to movies to see 2-hour trailers for the sequel. :p

Amen! I would prefer a little more complete comic book movies (TDK Trilogy, Xmen 1 and 2) which dealt with their stories and concluded them instead of filling the movie with teasers and easter eggs that don't add to the story.
And seeing how they plan for Amazing Spider-Man 4 it gives me even less hope for a fulfilling/complete 2hours movie

emanswfan said:
The Avengers looks terrible compared to this film. The Amazing Spiderman looks like a big budget blockbuster, while The Avengers looks like Marvel's Agents Of Shield (a TV show with a far lower budget). And that film, beyond the lesser cameras had lacking cinematography and the colors aren't even correct the whole time.
I think Avengers looked fine for what it was: a bright, zippy, depth-free look all the various characters could fit into. And the fact that it was roughly 16:9 doubtless contributed to the "TV feel" - I read somewhere Whedon said he chose that ratio to fit more characters into the frame at a time.

I agree, though, that ASM looks absolutely fantastic. Part of this is no doubt due to so many night scenes, and thus greater flexibility in terms of lighting and contrasts. But it's also thematic, as the rich, deep colors highlight the importance of family and keeping strong relationships across generations. It also helps to ground the movie in a way Avengers probably simply couldn't have been, and its earthy and muted color palette really makes the Spidey suit pop whenever it appears.

I respect Raimi's efforts on his trilogy, but looking back, I think there's an awkward dynamic at work in that he was taking inspiration from 1960s-era comics and trying to replicate that feel both visually and dramatically, but in today's world, and though it worked well enough in 2, thanks to a super-tight script and lots and lots of visual gags, the end result felt way off in the first and third movies. I guess they ideally ought to have been period pieces. Whereas ASM is firmly set in the here and now, but not in any kind of showy or obnoxious way; it just feels contemporary and true.

TomH1138 said:
while raising interesting questions and not pursuing them (such as what really happened to Peter's parents).

I actually enjoyed the fact that we never learned what actually happened to his parents, and that he never found the burglar, and the fact that there ARE actually unanswered questions. It's kind of refreshing in a way, and NOT tying up these subplots and having Peter move on actually work great for the character development.

And while I suppose the parents mystery is a sequel hook that's going to be explored further, I really hope we never see the burglar who killed Uncle Ben ever again.

Back
Top Bottom