• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Spider-Man 4 - Will it suck?

Can we make adding Elfman's score a requirement for all ASM edits?

No crane?

batman-crane.jpg

I was going to take Danny Elfman's soaring, majestic ending Batman theme and put it over the end of Batman Begins. I wanted to do that because, while the Chris Nolan movies are overall superior to the Burton-Schumaker films, I honestly can't remember a single note of any of the music used for any film in that trilogy.

Ironically enough, I have the opposite when it comes to Batman. I can remember a number of themes from Nolan's trilogy, but I can't remember a single note from Elfman's Batman score (with the exception of the main theme, of course)

Well I didn't grow up with Elfman's Bat-theme, and I think it sucks balls. Zimmer's bass-thumbing stirrings are far superior. :p

Well I think Begins made the right choice in completely avoiding elfman. therefore the "molossus" theme and the rest of the tracks could establish themselves as their own and grow until they were used for "hero moments" in the dark knight rises - maybe the new spidey score will have the same effect once we have grown accustomed and used to it with further installments

See, I like big, booming themes that I'm humming as I'm walking out of the theater. The themes from Batman, Jaws, Rocky, E.T. and so forth are all instantly recognizable. Zimmer seemed to have gone more for "mood music," where it blends into the background and underscores the scenes but never really stands out. That's fine, but I prefer the former.

Farlander said:
I don't dislike Horner's score for ASM (in fact, there are themes in it that I really love, like, for example, the one that sounds when Peter gives eggs to Aunt May or after he saves the kid), however I think that Danny Elfman's score for Spider-Man is much more awesome.

So I made a quick mock-up of how the final swing would look with Danny Elfman's music. I personally think it's pretty awesome.

The password is: spider

NOTE: I'm not planning to do a Danny Elfman edit of ASM because... well, because swapping music is a lot of hard work which I don't have time for atm.

that is awesome. i enjoyed the new music and theme that we got. and the Elfman music was definitely one of the high points from the previous 2 spider movies (SM1 and SM2). great job on it.

The Batman and The Dark Knight scores are completely different. Interestingly enough they both use strong brass.

That said, if I had to pick which I like more Elfman has more epic, soaring, beautiful music. It just calls too much attention to itself to be in The Dark Knight.

Zimmer sounds more like generic movie soundtrack music. If you listen closely you hear themes we have heard over and over. (Pirates, Gladiator etc)

Interestingly enough, if I had to pick one other theme that The Dark Knight music reminds me of, it is Elfman's Planet of the Apes Score.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQjksu45wU&feature=related[/video]

Nic Stiz said:
Is "hoping it bombs and that Disney will buy the rights back" a valid answer? ;-)

Well after watching what Disney has done with what rights they have for spidey. Im in no rush for disney to get the rights back.

I recently watched their "ultimate spiderman" cartoon. While the show did capture alot of who spidey is. They also did alot if things wrong. For example they basicly turned our favorite wallcrawler into deadpool. The show pauses for him to break the 4th wall. Not only that but they try and do family guy style cut aways.

I have been a big fan of what disney has done with the marvel universe.

But i am worried they would try and market their spidey movies to the kids alone.

I think disney might look at spidey as marvels mickey mouse

The Dark Knight Trilogy's score is one of my favorites. Remember how awesome the final scene of TDK is? Watch it without the music. Quite a bit less awesome.

juice4z0 said:
Well after watching what Disney has done with what rights they have for spidey. Im in no rush for disney to get the rights back.

I recently watched their "ultimate spiderman" cartoon. While the show did capture alot of who spidey is. They also did alot if things wrong. For example they basicly turned our favorite wallcrawler into deadpool. The show pauses for him to break the 4th wall. Not only that but they try and do family guy style cut aways.

I have been a big fan of what disney has done with the marvel universe.

But i am worried they would try and market their spidey movies to the kids alone.

I think disney might look at spidey as marvels mickey mouse

You got Deadpool from this cartoon? I was thinking Naruto, some idiotic hyperkinetic moron who rushes into things ignoring team strategy but still somehow surviving.

Ultimate Spider-Man show is... Bad at best. To cancel the amazing Spectacular Spider-Man show and replace it with THAT... I was so incredibly disappointed.

Yeah, that show is a huge disappointment. I love the comic with that name, and with Paul Dini as the head writer (of the Marvel universe for the first time!), how could it go wrong?

But naming the show Ultimate Spider-Man and not making it a rough adaptation of the book on which it's based was a terrible idea. I really didn't want a version of Spider-Man with D-List Avengers.

The nice thing is that live action and animation are such different worlds, even inside the same studio, that the bad stuff happening on Ultimate has nothing to do with what would happen in the live action realm. This is why Dini has never been asked to write a new live-action Batman film; it's not that the live action department looks down on Dini so much as it would never even occur to them to look to animation for their answers. Linda Woolverton found this out the hard way; she's a screenwriter who couldn't find work in live action after writing the script for Disney's 1991 Beauty and the Beast. It took her nearly 20 years to get another script made (Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland).

So that's why Marvel's live action movie department can put out such great films, but their animation division puts out this cheesy Spider-Man cartoon. Even though they're both making superhero stories, the two just simply don't ever mix!

I stopped watching the cartoon after Spidey's first fight with Doc Ock. The whole episode was about how Peter needs to trust Fury, but at the end of the episode they trade in that lesson just to laugh at Peter's expense. The main problem is that the show supposedly wants him to trust his team, but we don't know ANYTHING about his teammates, so Spidey has no reason to trust them, plus they're all a bunch of jerks, even Power Man and Iron Fist.

The best part of the show was the Venom stuff
since in this continuity, Harry is Venom, so Peter has to find ways to stop Venom without putting Harry in danger.
That and the episodes were when Spidey teams up with The Hulk and switches bodies Wolverine ('cause neither really deals with the team stuff, and the latter is adapted from the comics) and all the parts with Stan Lee as the janitor, because Stan is the Man.

TomH1138 said:
The nice thing is that live action and animation are such different worlds, even inside the same studio, that the bad stuff happening on Ultimate has nothing to do with what would happen in the live action realm. This is why Dini has never been asked to write a new live-action Batman film; it's not that the live action department looks down on Dini so much as it would never even occur to them to look to animation for their answers. Linda Woolverton found this out the hard way; she's a screenwriter who couldn't find work in live action after writing the script for Disney's 1991 Beauty and the Beast. It took her nearly 20 years to get another script made (Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland).

So that's why Marvel's live action movie department can put out such great films, but their animation division puts out this cheesy Spider-Man cartoon. Even though they're both making superhero stories, the two just simply don't ever mix!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/12/michael_arndt_star_wars_writer/

You were saying?

Farlander said:
I don't dislike Horner's score for ASM (in fact, there are themes in it that I really love, like, for example, the one that sounds when Peter gives eggs to Aunt May or after he saves the kid), however I think that Danny Elfman's score for Spider-Man is much more awesome.

So I made a quick mock-up of how the final swing would look with Danny Elfman's music. I personally think it's pretty awesome.

The password is: spider

NOTE: I'm not planning to do a Danny Elfman edit of ASM because... well, because swapping music is a lot of hard work which I don't have time for atm.

I think i might just take up this challange after i release Avengers and True Blood. This has been brewing in my mind for days since i saw your clip. Very very good idea, and of course you will be given credit for the idea if and when i make the edit

What's that a response to exactly? Is it a rejection that live-action and animation are different?

He's saying that just because you write a successful animated project, you don't have to be stuck writing animated work for the rest of your career. Although in a way Seth McFarlane already proved this (though not really because he just wrote a live action cartoon)

Back
Top Bottom