• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spartacus: Blood & Sand

Technically, this was season 2. Gods of the Arena was a prequel miniseries. And, the next season is in the works. They've already cast Julius Caesar and Marcus Crasus.

I actually rather enjoyed this season. It took me a while to warm up to the new Spartacus actor, but I did eventually.

Really? he completely lacked any kind of presence, hardly had any lines or anything to do most episodes and he couldn't even get the brooding right.

It's a shame they're going to make season 4 as it's almost certainly going to be 'the season too far' unless they can pull something amazing out of their asses.

I think that Liam suffers from the usual film scenario- that of wearing a predecessor's shoes? He is different, but handles the role well.

As for another series, how can it be 'too far' when the actual history continued past this point? Crassus, the hard campaigning up & down Italy, deaths of certain characters ;-) and of course, Spartacus' death?

There is that but that's not it. Liam simply does not have the intensity to play the role, I've said it before he's too much of a pretty boy/andy lookalike what they should of done was go for someone who didn't look so much like Andy but still had the intensity of his acting.

With regard to 'a series too far' I mean the sometimes inevitable problem of simply carrying on when you should realise the magic has gone.

Well, no matter what with the magic, they have to finish the story.

As for 'pretty', aren't 65% of the cast? :p Still works in a way The Tudors didn't, for me?

If ratings are still high, they can draw it out? If not, they can re-edit the scripts and make a final series short and punchy- as with GotA's 6 powerful episodes?

If they can't do it right I'm not interested.

You're missing the point Andy was pretty but he was also intense, If they had gone with an actor with the intensity, the defining characteristic of the character instead of going with a lookalike it would of been better.

Again, why pander to the lowest common denominator? I'd rather they kept their integrity and leave a brilliant show alone than plough blindly on just for the sake of a few dollar signs.

nOmArch said:
If they can't do it right I'm not interested.

You're missing the point Andy was pretty but he was also intense, If they had gone with an actor with the intensity, the defining characteristic of the character instead of going with a lookalike it would of been better.

Again, why pander to the lowest common denominator? I'd rather they kept their integrity and leave a brilliant show alone than plough blindly on just for the sake of a few dollar signs.
I'm missing no point, despite agreeing about Andy and Liam. It's personal taste for millions of viewers worldwide!

You are not the taste police. Your opinionated view isn't everyone's and doesn't make you 'right' or 'above' anyone else.

I personally say the full story still deserves to be told by Starz, no matter what snobbery or denigration about Andy's replacement.

Whatever dude. Obviously I only speak for myself, if you can't do the same there's no point in having a discussion.

Blu ray hits the Streets Sept 11 (1st October UK) with 9 extended episodes this time. Hopefully the episode extensions will make a difference but for only £28 I'll probably get it anyway.

Well Season 3 hit a few days ago and after watching the first episode I'm not massively impressed. B&S & Vengeance took a few eps to get going as well so I'm not despairing yet . There's 10 ep's in this run so hopefully it'll pick up speed by ep 4.

e2a: Vengeance Blu's are good, still way weaker than the first season but much better than the original TV airing.

I watched first Ep last night. Plenty of CGI blood and slow motion. Is anybody else getting a bit tired of that style? :|

Overall, it was a bit jarring as all the antagonists are new. If you know your history:

Crassus is the man who defeats Spartacus. Although no body was found. I'm willing to bet they won't kill Spartacus in the series and he goes into exile.

Crassus is being built up as a man of honour already. I liked him by the end of the ep. This stuff isn't half as fun as Blood and Sand / Gods of the Arena. Half the fun was watching Batiatus swearing and Lucretia getting her baps out.

Yep I would agree with all of that, hopefully they'll use the first three or four eps to build the story like they did with B&S but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

What made B&S so good was the story and amazing characters. Since then it's been a case of diminishing returns. I just hope the makers are able to deliver what they promised and go out with a bang not a whimper.

Back
Top Bottom