• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Solo - A Star Wars Story

I was never very optimistic about this idea and I'm growing less and less so. A couple of elements of the movie have apparently been revealed and, oh brother, this is exactly what I feared. 

So apparently Kessel will be a main location in the movie. This all but confirms in my mind that the idea for this movie is to simply show things referenced in the OT. How Han got the Millennium Falcon from Lando, how Chewbacca ended up with Han, how Han made the Kessel run. To add insult to injury, apparently Vader will be in the movie as well. Showing that Lucasfilm had zero confidence a Star Wars movie can work without Vader. I sure hope I'm wrong. 

That does sound unfortunate. (Rogue One spoilers below)
Unfortunately, since so many people complained about Rogue One being boring until right up at the end, presumably because of the Darth Vader scene that everyone's gushing about, it seems like that's sent Lucasfilm into full-on prequelitis mode. Every moment of every spinoff movie is going to have to tie in directly to some other Star Wars movie, explaining some plot point that didn't need explaining.

I will even admit that the Vader scene is the best scene in Rogue One, but it's still unfortunate that the positive reaction to this will result in more Star Wars movies not being told for their entertainment value but just so people can check off a bunch of boxes mentally about things being referred to from other films.

There were a series of novels in the late 1970s focusing on Han Solo's smuggler days before he joined the Rebellion. They were fun, lighthearted affairs that didn't tie into a larger canon because there was no canon to tie into. I would have been perfectly fine with the movie being just like that. (In my next post, I'm going to put an example of the type of thing I'd like to see.)

Don't get me wrong; I'll still see, and will probably enjoy, the Han Solo movie. I don't dislike tie-ins to other stories so much as I don't think they're necessary, or that they inherently make a film better. Pixar's Up is a beautiful movie that doesn't tie into any others.* Conversely, although I didn't see it, the consensus on the very poorly received Mummy reboot is that it spends a time trying to refer to and set up other stories instead of just being a good movie in the first place. 

* I am aware of the Unified Pixar Theory, which is fun, but it's fan speculation and not anything spelled out explicitly in the movies themselves.

Well I quite enjoyed R1 and enjoy it even more with Digmodification's edit that streamlines the beginning and excises much of the fan service tie-ins. While the premise itself is over-explaining something that didn't need to be explained, the inclusion of Darth Vader makes sense as he is seen in what would be the next event in the timeline. But R2 and C3PO were shoe-horned in as fan service and it shrinks the universe. I fear that to be the case here.

This is a Han Solo fan film from last year that I just happened to stumble onto, and it's wonderful! 

Everything about this is pretty great. Jamie Costa looks and sounds almost uncannily like a young Harrison Ford. It's funny and exciting. The visuals, the costumes, and the music are great. And I love that red protocol droid in the opening sequence; the character doesn't even have any lines -- it's just the sort of random detail that makes the Star Wars universe feel big and "lived in."

I also like the fact that this movie doesn't attempt to give us the Force or any real Jedi (or Sith). Reportedly, George Lucas wanted to put a young Han Solo in Revenge of the Sith that knew and hung out with Yoda on Kashyyk. That would have ruined everything we know about the character being so cynical about religion, if he constantly saw Yoda levitating rocks and whatnot at an early age. In this fan film, we see Han up against a weirdo with no Force abilities, and it's Han who's able to use technology to pull off a few tricks. This is very much the Han Solo from A New Hope who said, "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's very cool that, by the time of The Force Awakens, Han says, "It's true. All of it."  As a person of faith myself, that resonated with me. But in order for the change in the character to be interesting, he has to start out in a different place. I hope the makers of the official Han Solo movie remember that.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Well I quite enjoyed R1 and enjoy it even more with Digmodification's edit that streamlines the beginning and excises much of the fan service tie-ins. While the premise itself is over-explaining something that didn't need to be explained, the inclusion of Darth Vader makes sense as he is seen in what would be the next event in the timeline. But R2 and C3PO were shoe-horned in as fan service and it shrinks the universe. I fear that to be the case here.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. I'm not saying R1 is flawless (although I do love it), and Vader does make sense in that movie. But regarding Han Solo and other future films, I don't need two hours of winking at the audience.

TomH1138 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. I'm not saying R1 is flawless (although I do love it), and Vader does make sense in that movie. But regarding Han Solo and other future films, I don't need two hours of winking at the audience.

Exactly my point.

We have a title!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Thoughts?

Me personally, it's what I figured the title would be, just seemed logical.

I guess it's better than "How Han Solo Met Chewbacca and Lando and Acquired the Millennium Falcon in the Kessel Run: A Star Wars Story."

I assumed that Solo would be the title.

That logo though...

WTF now I have to change the title of my film, "Solo: Neglify's Love Life". I guess I'll just go with my alt title, "No Love 'Cept for the Glove".

waiting for the chewbacca movie: fleas in the coat.

I kinda like the name very much. It is also a joke being the second solo standalone movie, like R1 being the "rogue" one in the lineup.

A few months ago, that title leaked, and Lucasfilm very hurriedly assured that was NOT the title, so we've had to continue referring to the thing with the clunky phrase "the untitled Han Solo movie."

The title is perfectly fine and logical, but why deny it for months when that's clearly the title they had in mind all along?

ssj said:
waiting for the chewbacca movie: fleas in the coat.

Thought if chewbacca had a movie it would be called chewbacca and the flea dip trip haha

TomH1138 said:
A few months ago, that title leaked, and Lucasfilm very hurriedly assured that was NOT the title, so we've had to continue referring to the thing with the clunky phrase "the untitled Han Solo movie."

The title is perfectly fine and logical, but why deny it for months when that's clearly the title they had in mind all along?

Maybe they've been going back and forth on a few different title ideas.

I thought they would go the Indiana Jones route like a "Han Solo and the Kessel Run".
But well, SOLO is fine. Just not a big news without a hint on what the movie is about.

Zamros said:
Big Walking Carpet: A Star Wars Story

thats-offensive.jpg

Back
Top Bottom