• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Shows that you love that should have ended loooooooong ago

Fanedit said:
Lost should have ended after season 2 or 3.
Agreed. Even after 6 Seasons most stuff stayed unanswered anyway

Oh another one, Weeds. After season 4 things went very much downhill and although the final couple of season were better the magic, alas, had gone.

The show that tops all of these (in my mind) is Saturday Night Live. If it weren't for the forced laugh track, there would be no one laughing at all. It's really embarrassing how unfunny SNL has become. I don't think I've so much as cracked a smile at any skit that i've seen (my wife has it on every week because of habit, fml) for several years, if not a decade. I don't the majority of the blame on the comedians, I think the writing has just gone to crap. Skits are obvious and just not funny. The music guests have also been particularly putrid for a loooong time.

SNL goes in cycles. You could say the same thing about several other periods, but it always comes back to life.

That was true in the past, but it has been in the down cycle for a long ass time now. The sad thing is, I think they believe the show to be funny, and I think the younger demographic would agree.

For SNL I think it might have something to do with NBC not wanting to offend anyone. The only funny things in the last five or six years were the Digital Shorts.

Could they ever get away with the pedophile camper today? What about the skit that hasn't aired since its original broadcast? (Transcript here.)

I think they're just afraid to take risks these days for fear of offending people.

I miss the days when Joe Montana would go to his room to masturbate.

I agree with you about SNL but this season has been pretty good so far, only 4 episodes in. The problem I think was Kristen Wiig. She left at the end of last season and had been on the show for the last 7 seasons. The woman simply is not funny. In fact she is painfully unfunny, and all her characters are annoying. Gilly, Penelope, Kat from Garth & Kat, the Target Lady, Mindy Gracin, I could go on. It really ruins the show when she's in practically every sketch every week. And somehow she has a huge fan base, at least based on the Facebook fans who comment about her on SNL's Facebook page.

Frantic Canadian said:
I agree with you about SNL but this season has been pretty good so far, only 4 episodes in. The problem I think was Kristen Wiig. She left at the end of last season and had been on the show for the last 7 seasons. The woman simply is not funny. In fact she is painfully unfunny, and all her characters are annoying. Gilly, Penelope, Kat from Garth & Kat, the Target Lady, Mindy Gracin, I could go on. It really ruins the show when she's in practically every sketch every week. And somehow she has a huge fan base, at least based on the Facebook fans who comment about her on SNL's Facebook page.

I love Kristen Wiig, so I think you're batshit crazy.

An easier question would be to ask what shows actually ended when they should have with a solid story conclusion and series finale instead of spinning off into a teat-sucking, cash-grabbing whore version of itself?

Very few come to mind:

Dexter is showing promise that it might pull it off.

Avatar: The Last Airbender ended perfectly after 3 seasons.

Some might debate me on this one, but I enjoyed Seinfeld right up to and including the end.

Seinfeld did end well, I hope Curb can as well.

Breaking Bad is on its way to being a perfect length and hopefully a perfect ending. They haven't made a single misstep yet.

can it be when a show starts becoming more about "how much money can be made here" rather than "how many good shows can we make here" is when it starts going down hill ?
Friends comes to mind when the actors started breaking paycheck per episode records. then they had to start bringing in guest stars to bank ratings. the show stopped being fun and started getting phoned in.

baileym43 said:
Friends comes to mind when the actors started breaking paycheck per episode records. then they had to start bringing in guest stars to bank ratings. the show stopped being fun and started getting phoned in.

What I should have said was "A better but harder question..."

Friends went to shit toward the end IMO.

Agreed on Breaking Bad, though I did think the last couple episodes this season were weak.

ALF, should've ended at season 3. Season 4 went completely downhill in terms of the jokes. Probably a reason NBC terminated the contract. The TV movie however still wasn't as bad as season 4, and snd atleast gave an end to the show. I'm just worried about the CGI/Live Action film they're making of ALF now.

geminigod said:
Agreed on Breaking Bad, though I did think the last couple episodes this season were fecking awesome.

Fixed that for you.

EyeShotFirst said:
Married With Children went on too long. Pretty much never really did anything in the 90's that it didn't do in the 80's. I still watched it and enjoyed it, but it got kind of stale.

Married with children is still going, with the same writers. Just in Russian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Together_(2006_TV_series)

If you dont know how Newhart and The Bob Newhart Show ended you might not want to click this spoiler.

So, Newhart started 4 years after The Bob Newhart Show. Completely unrelated, different characters, setting, career, city, etc. Cue the last episode, everyone has moved out of the town and sold it to Japanese people. They are the only family left. Bob Newhart goes outside and gets hit on the head with a golf ball, and wakes up in bed ON THE OTHER SHOW, with the other wife. The entire second show was a dream of his first shows character.

Soooo, how awesome would it be if Sons of Anarchy and Modern Family had a joint last episode, where the two of the wake up and are back in bed together. He is all happy that he was dreaming about family life with Gloria, not realizing his wife is fantasizing about motorcycle gangs.

Back
Top Bottom