• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scrooge: The Literary Cut (AVAILABLE AGAIN)

Review, posted at IFDB:

This is another fantastic edit from Dwight Fry. The use of the color footage is quite inspired and the film feels much more balanced and easier to rewatch. I don't love the film as much as Dwight does (I especially think the colorized version looks like garbage) but this was immensely enjoyable.

Thanks a lot, Neg! To be fair, the colorized version DOES look like garbage, particularly the choice of colors (like Victorian era businessmen would dress in those pale blue and light green and Joker purple tones!), but on the other hand it has a bit of the flavor of those tacky old hand-colored photographs of the era, or early two-strip Technicolor cinema. I think it's a good contrast against the eerie darkness of the B&W footage.

Dwight Fry said:
the filmmakers felt the need to add a whole string of invented scenes that, while not bad in themselves, are so superfluous that they work against the movie and make it be worse than the sum of its parts, always in my opinion of course.

Sure, you're welcome to that opinion. But IMO, none of the scenes were superfluous. Every scene deepened and strengthened our understanding of how Scrooge became who he was, while also showing us that there was something redeemable about this tragic character. I never thought that Scrooge was nastier, or paradoxically rooted for him to be redeemed, as I did when watching this version.

Again, that's not to rain on your parade. I'll still watch your edit, and it's very likely that I'll enjoy it. And we do agree on one thing: That Tiny Tim was horrid. Worst Tiny Tim ever. :)

rebue, posted on IFDB:

Dwight Fry gives us a leaner, brisker, smoother version of Scrooge by hosing away all sorts of extraneous crap.

Despite my distase for colorized films in general, I surprisingly found myself liking the strategic use of colorized sequences for certain parts of Scrooge's past and present journey. Dwight Fry chose just the right parts to inject warmth and color.

Some of the rapid-fire dialogue is difficult to follow, even if you're sober. I can't merely blame the British and their funny accents; the audio of older films is unavoidably muffled. I was therefore supermegathankful for Dwight's inclusion of subtitle files. However, I did notice a variety of punctuation and usage errors in the subs, e.g., "seven Christmas Eve's ago," "Are you the spirit who's forecoming was foretold," and others. [I'm tempted to make a minor project of correcting the subs for future Yuletide viewings.]

This is now my favorite screen version of A Christmas Carol. Thank you, Señor Fry.

Enjoyjoy: 10 pelvic aerothrusts.

Thanks so much for the awesome review, ssj! :)

And yes, a version 2 will happen. Not only because of the subs, which I *will* revise, but because of a couple other issues. I rushed this one out because, well, it needed to be out for Christmas, didn't it? So the export actually cut out a bit of the image from the bottom of the screen. I'll be fixing that, and the black frame Q2 noticed, AND I will be getting rid of Jack Warner's credit from the main titles. With a bit of trickery, I think I can make it seamless.

and thank you for putting it together, hombre!

let me know if you need any assistance tweaking the subs; i'd be happy to help.

AVI has been uploaded to MEGA and DLC submitted to Info. Also this is still on YouTube, send me or Dwight a PM if you want that link.

You better watch out! You better not cry! You better not pout! I'm telling you why:

VERSION 2 IS COMING TO TOWN!

(Stay tuned...)

Dwight Fry said:
You better watch out! You better not cry! You better not pout! I'm telling you why:

VERSION 2 IS COMING TO TOWN!

(Stay tuned...)

So Version 2 knows when I'm sleeping?!

Thanks to the secret camera installed when you joined the mod team, we all know when you are sleeping.

Cool! looking forward to it. Are you making a commentary or anything like that for version 2 to spice things up a bit?

Neglify said:
Gatos is a mod? When did this happen?

Darn it, I was trying to say that to Dwight and got all fouled up.

Dwight is a mod? When did this happen?

TV's Frink said:
Thanks to the secret camera installed when you joined the mod team, we all know when you are sleeping.

you mean the colonoscope? you wizards.

to my favorite gazellean (ok--the only gazellean i know). . . huzzah on a version 2 to come! if you'd like me to take a look at the english subs and offer some tweaks, i'd be heppi to. :)

g1orkatsos said:
Cool! looking forward to it. Are you making a commentary or anything like that for version 2 to spice things up a bit?

Me? Would *I* do something like that? What's next, speculating if I'd do a commentary with you?

ssj said:
to my favorite gazellean (ok--the only gazellean i know). . . huzzah on a version 2 to come! if you'd like me to take a look at the english subs and offer some tweaks, i'd be heppi to. :)

Subs have gone through a grammar makeover, though if you feel like proof-reading them just in case, I'll upload them for you. :)

i'm game, DF. PM me, preeze, whenever you'd like.

Dwight Fry said:
Me? Would *I* do something like that? What's next, speculating if I'd do a commentary with you?
Nah, that would just be silly! Who puts this kind of nonsense in your head? It's not like either of us would want to do such a thing... Rubbish!

Back
Top Bottom