• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rocky 4 Re-Edited by Stallone

Been thinknig about it non-stop since walking out of the theater yesterday and trying to mentally list out what's staying and what's going if I ever step back into the editors chair and "take a shot" at this lol.

Saw it last night. Not only does having more Drago dialogue make him more human, but it actually makes him less like a comic book villain and more like just this freakishly strong guy. I think fans of the original version will be conflicted on this. On the one hand, it's more realistic, but on the other it makes the film less grandiose (which is what many people love about it). I think people who always flak on Rocky 4 will be happier with this new version, as it does make it feel more like the first 2 films.

Saw it last night. Not only does having more Drago dialogue make him more human, but it actually makes him less like a comic book villain and more like just this freakishly strong guy. I think fans of the original version will be conflicted on this. On the one hand, it's more realistic, but on the other it makes the film less grandiose (which is what many people love about it). I think people who always flak on Rocky 4 will be happier with this new version, as it does make it feel more like the first 2 films.
Sounds like I'll prefer the newer version. For me Rocky IV is a guilty pleasure, a so-bad-it's-good thing, and the original Rocky I think is a bona fide great film. But until I watch, one never knows.

Some of the things he was complaining about like Apollo sayin I want you pointing without his boxing glove then the next scene, his glove is on as well as the British commentators at the beginning of the final fight were still left in, so I’m not sure what made him leave it

Been thinking about this all day (and last night) since seeing it. I don't wanna make an entire laundry list right now (as I'll need to watch it many more times before I can make a definitive list), but an overall purpose of the edit would be as follows (TC=theatrical Cut, DC=Director's Cut):

Theatrical Cut:

- Keep the overall tone, style and pacing as TC
- Keep the opening and closing
- Keep the robot, as we need it for the 10 count at the end when Drago goes down (DC made the fight end abruptly)
- Keep all of Bridgette's lines
- Keep locker room scene
- Keep the training montages the same (though I'd like to tinker with a few shots from the DC, the additional jump rope for ex.)

Director's Cut:

- Keep in new scenes with Adrian, Apollo, and Duke
- Keep new Drago dialogue
- Keep boxing commission scene

Mix together:

- Keep parts of Rocky's speech at Apollo's funeral. Possibly use the quieter words from TC , then go to emotional words in DC before he puts the belt down
- Tr to use a "best of both worlds" version of Rocky and Adrian on the staircase (additional Adrian DC dialogue, but retain TC Rocky dialogue)
- Keep parts of Rocky's final speech regarding Apollo but the speech still ends the same as TC
- Keep some of the DC's ending (like when Rocky and Drago fist bump before exiting the ring. Again, the audio will still be TC)

Still debating on:

- Keep TC fight scenes, use DC, or a mix of both. This will take some MAJOR editing in regards to music, sound effects, and overall flow/pacing (as if re-framing the aspect ratio doesn't look arduous enough since the DC looks very zoomed in).

I'm not concerned about runtime. Rocky 4 is my favorite movie ever, and to me, the longer the better. What I am conflicted on is, if we use the DC fight scenes, it diminishes Drago's mystique since both Apollo and Rocky put up a better fight (not so one-sided), and thus diminishes the OTT tone the film always had. This is where I think we're gonna see the most tweaking from anyone "taking a shot" at this. I've already seen at least 4-5 people say they either plan to, or are considering doing their fan edit of Rocky 4.

I think what sly was going for was good but a good amount of the stuff cut hurts the film. I think if those scenes were restored it would give us the best cut of rocky iv.

Threads merged because we're covering the same topic.

I think if I was to do a fan edit of this, I would pretty keep it like the theatrical, only adding the extended sequences (Apollo at Rocky's house, Commission meeting, & funeral). Although I did like what he did with the Apollo fight, I don't think I would want to tinker with that nor the final fight. I thought the training montages were perfect the first time around and was disappointed to see he had changed some of the scenes and omitting him wadding up the picture of Drago. A lot of the dialogue was the same scenes only different takes or angles and I did not prefer them over the original. What is your thoughts?

When I'm doing an edit, it is usually (but not always) meant to be alternate experience, not definitive version. So I'd rather re-edit Director's Cut to restore some sequences which I'm bothered that were cut out and keep almost everything that was introduced in DC. But the beginning with 7 minutes from RIII and poor opening title has to go.

When I'm doing an edit, it is usually (but not always) meant to be alternate experience, not definitive version. So I'd rather re-edit Director's Cut to restore some sequences which I'm bothered that were cut out and keep almost everything that was introduced in DC. But the beginning with 7 minutes from RIII and poor opening title has to go.
Yeah I didn't like the opening too much. I think if he wanted to show more of the connection of Rocky to Apollo, it could have been done better. Something like the scene in the gym when Apollo tells him when we fought you had that eye of the tiger, then cut to theatrical opening with Eye of the Tiger playing and fight with Mr. T. I am surprised Sly left out the scene with Apollo about to spar with Rocky and he owed him a favor. That's a pivotal scene to show their friendship.

Does anyone know if this version is streaming only, or if it will be released on dvd/bluray? Most of the reviews I've watched say it has high points and low points. It does sound like a great candidate for a hybrid version.

Does anyone know if this version is streaming only, or if it will be released on dvd/bluray? Most of the reviews I've watched say it has high points and low points. It does sound like a great candidate for a hybrid version.
I am not sure. I hope that it will be.

Yeah to me that sounds like that would make the best version of the film get rid of what didn’t work and keep what works. I think sly was going in the right direction but removed too much and added some stuff that didn’t improve it.

I had the opportunity to see it at Cinemark. It was completely packed and I sat at the second row from the screen, something I don't normal do but it made be feel even more immersed in the fights and training montages. There was a nice before the film live in Philly interview with Stallone discussing wanting to do a Rocky prequel taking place in the 60's and him regretting killing the Apollo character (A paralyzed state is one of the things he thought about in place of the death). As well as his why the studio didn't use some of the shots he wanted in the final fight including the blows that almost killed him and how the idea of the Robot in the film came up. I enjoy the original so much it hypes me up no matter what but this really added to my appreciation of it as this is the last film I expected a recut of. It's currently up on Amazon but I do agree it would be make a great Blu-ray or DVD set, I think once the studios sees the turn out numbers and the fan support it will happen. I do also hope he recuts Rocky 5, a long while back Last Survivor did the only fan edit of it I've ever seen called the Rocky V - The 80's Remix. Of course I am going back and forth on a couple parts cut out of Rocky IV but overall still a really fun film.

the cut was great but i preferred the original version

I had the opportunity to see it at Cinemark. It was completely packed and I sat at the second row from the screen, something I don't normal do but it made be feel even more immersed in the fights and training montages. There was a nice before the film live in Philly interview with Stallone discussing wanting to do a Rocky prequel taking place in the 60's and him regretting killing the Apollo character (A paralyzed state is one of the things he thought about in place of the death). As well as his why the studio didn't use some of the shots he wanted in the final fight including the blows that almost killed him and how the idea of the Robot in the film came up. I enjoy the original so much it hypes me up no matter what but this really added to my appreciation of it as this is the last film I expected a recut of. It's currently up on Amazon but I do agree it would be make a great Blu-ray or DVD set, I think once the studios sees the turn out numbers and the fan support it will happen. I do also hope he recuts Rocky 5, a long while back Last Survivor did the only fan edit of it I've ever seen called the Rocky V - The 80's Remix. Of course I am going back and forth on a couple parts cut out of Rocky IV but overall still a really fun film.
completely agree with you there useless knowledge
rocky 5 definitely deserves a directors cut/recut
there was more cut from that film then rocky 4
load of character devlopment,call backs and full circle moments that really tied it up
also the perfect version of the final fight lies between the alt version and the theatrical version

Back
Top Bottom