• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Robots VS Kung Fu: The Matrix Grindhouse Edition: Analog Demaster Released!

Still alive, still have power, but it hasn't really hit yet.

TM2YC said:
I tested the blu-ray in my retail Samsung BR player and VLC on my desktop and they both had the same error. When you select either of the bonus audio options, instead of playing the film with the selected audio track, it briefly jumps back to the audio-menu (Granted, you might have intended this but I assumed not as your old DVD menu didn't?) and then crashes out of VLC and my Samsung player's firmware.

Everything else seems to work fine though, although I haven't tested literally everything from start to finish.

Aw, darn.  See, I had it set so that it'd resume the film when either option is selected.  I guess if it hasn't been started it doesn't know what to do.  I'll just set them to start the movie instead.  I figure most people just use the audio button to change while the movie's in progress anyway.

TM2YC said:
How come the "Our feature presentation" titlecard has not been remastered? (Or even de-mastered with HD film grain and damage?)

I didn't see a point in redoing the trailer-centric stuff.  No matter what, there's going to be a mix of HD, SD, and sub-SD material. The 720p bump is mostly meant to service the enjoyment of the actual film damage, which I can't faithfully replicate on the other footage.  Your feedback is most appreciated, as always.  I will hold off on any revisions until both you and Ninja have finished testing.  Thanks again.

Well... I dodged it.  But current projections show the darn thing looping around and coming back my way in a few days time.  Let's see if my luck lasts.

I hope all's well MGH.

I was able to check out everything on the disc, and I gotta say it's top notch. TM2YC noted the only issue I found, though in my BD player it didn't crash but I had to start the movie and then change the audio streams. I don't know how typical this is but if I have a disc and I want to watch the commentary I'd select it from the menu so it is slightly awkward. That being said, if I know the commentary is there, first thing I'd try when it didn't start with commentary is changing the audio streams, so I don't know how big of a deal you consider it. Great job; it's a really nice disc, man.

thecuddlyninja said:
I hope all's well MGH.

I was able to check out everything on the disc, and I gotta say it's top notch. TM2YC noted the only issue I found, though in my BD player it didn't crash but I had to start the movie and then change the audio streams. I don't know how typical this is but if I have a disc and I want to watch the commentary I'd select it from the menu so it is slightly awkward. That being said, if I know the commentary is there, first thing I'd try when it didn't start with commentary is changing the audio streams, so I don't know how big of a deal you consider it. Great job; it's a really nice disc, man.

Alive and well, and out of the storm's path.  I lucked out.  Thank you so much for your feedback.  So long as @"TM2YC"  doesn't find any problems you missed, I will amend the audio options page and get this thing reuploaded.  As far as I can tell, the original version was released on October 20th, 2013.  My intention is to start rolling out the Demastered version on that date, with the MKV and MP4 made available immediately, with the Blu-Ray, DVD, Vimeo, VCD, and VHS versions to follow when they're done / not random ideas I just made up.   

One last question for you, Ninja!  How did you like the Demaster itself?

It was a f***ing fun watch! I have a pretty shit memory (which is why I love rewatching movies!) so if you George Lucas-ed anything I didn't catch it. Many shots were brighter and more clear to me.

I haven't had time to listen to the commentary in full yet but I look forward to it.

Also, I forgot to mention the Making Of documentary was fantastic. I don't recall watching it before so I wasn't sure if it was new but it was a very fun bonus.

thecuddlyninja said:
It was a f***ing fun watch! I have a pretty shit memory (which is why I love rewatching movies!) so if you George Lucas-ed anything I didn't catch it. Many shots were brighter and more clear to me.

Excellent!  That's the highest praise I could hope for in this case.   Beyond the new film damaged source, there are some other visual changes - mostly new behind the scenes stuff inserted where there had been none before.  A few changes of note:

• Neo is now shown signing a confession or other document after the line, "wow that sounds like a pretty good deal", which hopefully makes his work for the Agents make a little more sense.
  • Neo flashes an amazed/amused reaction when the Oracle says his name without looking.
  • In the original version, after "dodge this", Trinity just flinches when firing the gun.   Instead, we've got obvious blood squibs and wires for the execution. 
  • Hugo Weaving (or his stunt double?) with visible pony tail next to a clapper board.

And some additional boom mics and the like whenever possible.  Really, just whatever usable BTS stuff I could find that I somehow missed the first time around.  I guess, like Lucas, this is "how I would have made it originally" .

I haven't had time to listen to the commentary in full yet but I look forward to it.
It's the same one from the original DVD release, by the way.

Also, I forgot to mention the Making Of documentary was fantastic. I don't recall watching it before so I wasn't sure if it was new but it was a very fun bonus.

That's new to this release, glad you enjoyed.  I posted it on the forums awhile back, but made some minor alterations since then.

Resequened things so the "I remember being..." stuff follows immediately after "We're organizing... for the actors".  Also added the accusation that the Award Ceremony was "like, rigged".  Oh, and that bit where Keanu spoils the ending. 

Thanks so much for your feedback!  Very happy you enjoyed.

Okay!  It's been three years since the original version was released.  Time to start rolling out the release of the new Analog Demaster.  The Blu-Ray is not yet available - have to work out some bugs before that's fit for public consumption.  A two disc DVD-5  will follow at some point as well.  In the meantime, there is a high quality MKV version (21GB), as well as a medium quality FAT32/PS4 friendly MP4 (3.5 GB).

Thank you for your review, @"Sybok"  !  I'm honored to read such high praise.  I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, that things resonated as well as they did.  It's still a ways off thanks to some health issues slowing my down, but the sequel will see the light of day, and I hope you'll find it as enjoyable when that time comes.

Hey @"matrixgrindhouse" ! Great to see you back here buddy, you've been missed :) .

Thanks @"TM2YC" !  And to everyone else - you're all great.   I haven't been gone so much as... not here.  Lights are on, but I'm not home.  Without derailing the thread too much, I still have not fully recovered, and have not had a good night's sleep since 2017.  So I'm not exactly lucid most days.  That said, 2019 thus far has been much better than all of last year, and am confident in being my old self again sooner or later.  Thanks for the kindness, everyone.

Glad to hear it - I hope it continues to get better!

Thank you for your review, @judgmentalpigeon !  My recovery remains slow, but I am gradually getting there.  Once I'm well, I really want to dive back in and deliver a sequel that's worth the wait.  I can't say when that'll be, but it will happen.  It'll have to wait until John Wick 3's on home video at the very earliest, thanks to a line Laurence partially delivers in one of the trailers.  There's no way I could make this thing and not have Morpheus say, "Sometimes, you have to cut a mutha'...".  

Thanks again to everyone's well wishing.  I'll get there.

matrixgrindhouse said:
Thank you for your review, @"Sybok"  !  I'm honored to read such high praise.  I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, that things resonated as well as they did.  It's still a ways off thanks to some health issues slowing my down, but the sequel will see the light of day, and I hope you'll find it as enjoyable when that time comes.

I really hope you're feeling better soon, your health must always take priority! I'm really looking forward to seeing the sequel!!

This is simultaneously deliberately terrible and fascinating. You could skip the best part of an hour in the middle and not miss much, but it's Art.

Would a 70s exploitation film have had an extended 20 minute sequence of silent film work? No. It does cover up the mess of a plot though, and the musical soundtrack is great. One of the few films you'd have on without the visuals, which given most of its source material is from The Matrix is an achievement in itself.

I never want to see it ever again and I also want to hear the director's commentary and see the extras.

superian said:
This is simultaneously deliberately terrible and fascinating. You could skip the best part of an hour in the middle and not miss much, but it's Art.

Would a 70s exploitation film have had an extended 20 minute sequence of silent film work? No. It does cover up the mess of a plot though, and the musical soundtrack is great. One of the few films you'd have on without the visuals, which given most of its source material is from The Matrix is an achievement in itself.

I never want to see it ever again and I also want to hear the director's commentary and see the extras.

I really appreciate your feedback, @"superian"  - thank you for your kind words!  I have to admit, I am a little puzzled.  My memory isn't what it used to be, but what exactly are you taking about regarding the "extended 20 minute sequence of silent film"?  I know I have some action scenes that go on a bit, but I don't think there's any chunks of the edit that go on that long without any dialogue.   I'm just scratching my head - what part were you talking about?

Belated thanks to @Racerx1969 and @El Marv for your reviews and praise therein. Retroactive kudos belong to Rogue-Thex and Leeroy, who were doing the same kind of fake trailers for their own projects and gave their blessing for me to do the same. And of course, for TMBTM for coming up with the whole Grindhouse edit style in the first place!

Review posed at IFDB:

This edit is a blast. The editor has taken The Matrix as we know it, turned it inside out, crushed it with a sledgehammer, set it on fire and up from the ashes rose Robots vs. Kung Fu. What TMBTM was to Jaws and Star Wars, matrixgrindhouse is to The Matrix. Very highly recommended.

Audio/Video Quality: Horrid. Perfect.

Visual Editing: The number of sources blended together in this edit is jaw dropping. Great work.

Audio Editing: Hard cuts, volume fluctuations, stray noises. Everything that makes a grindhouse a grindhouse.

Narrative: The new story that's created is an incredible feat the editor should be commended on his creativity and the technical prowess to be able to pull it off.

Enjoyment: Take the red pill.
2021 Updated Review:

Has it really been 8 years since I left this review? Damn. Time flies. Well, with the release of the "Analog Demaster" version, I felt this was worth a re-watch/re-review. I'll say that this is still one of the all time great fanedits out there and should be required viewing for everyone reading this. This really shows you what is possible with fanediting and your only limitation is your own creativity. Everything I said originally still stands. The absolute highlight is the faneditor commentary track. It' so great to get a peek behind the curtain of a master at work. Brilliant, all around.

It's been ten years since I released this?!?!

I just want to thank each and every person who ever watched, reviewed, or provided any amount of feedback or suggestions for this project! Robots vs Kung Fu is one of the things I am most proud of ever having done in my entire life, and meeting all you wonderful people has enriched my life greatly. It's been a long road for me - more than half of the past decade, I've been beset by a number of maladies. And while I'm far from recovered, I'm closer than I have been in years. Some day, in the not too distant future (a bit later than Next Sunday AD) - work will resume on the myriad sequels and spinoffs I've dreamed up in the intervening years. But in the meantime - you have my gratitude, all of you.

Back
Top Bottom