• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Return of the Jedi - Remastered

My pleasure, and thank you for taking some of those into consideration :) haha, tbh felt like I was in the minority on most of them.

darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
ssj said:
hey, darth. if you're changing the music but not the visuals for the ewok celeb, you could create a second audio track (which can be muxed with the video & primary audio) instead of two entirely separate versions.

Has anyone ever done the ending with a more symphonic score rather than a song? Ther has to be something in JW's body of work that would fit the mood.

I have seen this done many times but nothing has ever quite worked for me. I prefer both Yub Nub and Victory Celebration. Yub Nub feels like music that would actually be sung in the moment and Victory Celebration gives the victory a lot of scope and emotion in my opinion.
I have scoured the internet looking for examples but I've come up empty. Does anyone have a link to an example where the ending had been completely re-scored? I'd love something with the emotional impact of the Rebel Fleet/Han-Leia Theme end title from ESB but obviously more celebratory and less melancholy. My two favorite concluding scores are for ESB and AitC. The ending music of the AotC is about the only thing I like about that movie.

Moe_Syzlak said:
darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
ssj said:
hey, darth. if you're changing the music but not the visuals for the ewok celeb, you could create a second audio track (which can be muxed with the video & primary audio) instead of two entirely separate versions.

Has anyone ever done the ending with a more symphonic score rather than a song? Ther has to be something in JW's body of work that would fit the mood.

I have seen this done many times but nothing has ever quite worked for me. I prefer both Yub Nub and Victory Celebration. Yub Nub feels like music that would actually be sung in the moment and Victory Celebration gives the victory a lot of scope and emotion in my opinion.
I have scoured the internet looking for examples but I've come up empty. Does anyone have a link to an example where the ending had been completely re-scored? I'd love something with the emotional impact of the Rebel Fleet/Han-Leia Theme end title from ESB but obviously more celebratory and less melancholy. My two favorite concluding scores are for ESB and AitC. The ending music of the AotC is about the only thing I like about that movie.

Probably the "Dan Edit" of Return of the Jedi is the most notable example of different music for the ending. I think he used "Luke and Leia's theme".

I
darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
ssj said:

Probably the "Dan Edit" of Return of the Jedi is the most notable example of different music for the ending. I think he used "Luke and Leia's theme".

Okay thanks. I found the thread at OT but the clips are down. I guess I'll download it to check it out. FWIW the changes in that edit don't sound nearly as right for me as yours. Dont mean to hijack your thread.

Moe_Syzlak said:
I
darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
darthrush said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Okay thanks. I found the thread at OT but the clips are down. I guess I'll download it to check it out. FWIW the changes in that edit don't sound nearly as right for me as yours. Dont mean to hijack your thread.

No problem!

Rather than download the Dan edit, I just watched the ending of the one RotJ edit I do have. I quite like the way Spence handled it. If you haven't watched it or haven't watched it in a while, check it out. I still think you could find better music, particularly for the tour of planets as I think that is arrival music from the PT (I can hear Ric Olie in my head explaining that those  are people celebrating). But I do like the more orchestral ending.

Return of the Jedi has now been updated with all of the version 2.0 changes. I'm pretty much right around where I want to be with this edit. Soon I think I might record a commentary track for it.

darthrush said:
Soon I think I might record a commentary track for it.

36133724.jpg

ssj said:
darthrush said:
Soon I think I might record a commentary track for it.

36133724.jpg

I guess I will haha. It's my first one so it won't be too great and there will be a lot of gaps where there aren't changes but might as well. Doesn't hurt to throw it in as a secondary audio track.

when there's not much to say about what you changed, you can switch gears, talk about the ewok stench, how they don't use toilet paper.

I only just recently started hearing that people don't like the "I love you, I know" call back. Personally it's one of my favorite moments between Han and Leia. For one, as cool and rogue-ish as Han is, he's also a a bit of a jerk and stuck up (maybe not so scruffy looking though) and saying "I know" when she says "I love you" kind of comes off as a jerk move. I mean, she wasn't certain she would ever see Han again or if he would live and she finally professes her love and he's just all "yeah I know".. Leia kinda gets a little revenge but it's also her being witty while getting over that moment in ESB finally because it probably nagged at her.. rightfully so!

Just my take on that whole thing! No big deal, we all have our preferences. Looking forward to watching the edit(s)

darthrush said:
Hello Everyone! I have completed my Return of the Jedi fan-edit and I am currently in the process of recording my commentary. Then I plan on uploading it to mega for submission to the academy and so that others can check out the updated version of the edit. Thank you for all the support and feedback that you all have given :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAIN PURPOSE OF EDIT:

When it comes to the Star Wars movies, I consider episodes 4 and 5 to be nearly untouchable masterpieces. And if they need be tinkered with, I feel as if Adywan is the only one capable of doing so effectively. The prequels were lacking for myself and many others there is a massive selection of wonderful fan-edits to choose from. Return of the Jedi on the other hand has always stuck out like a sore thumb for me. It was good but disappointing compared to the cinematic heights compared to the previous two in the original trilogy. Han Solo acted completely different and lost all of his swagger. Strangely enough, he was jealous of Luke. The Ewoks presented an illogical solution to the threat of the Empire and they sucked up a lot of the tension in the third act. And there were just a handful of moments that take the viewer out of the experience. Overall, I felt that Return of the Jedi has not been done justice in the fanediting field. I felt it necessary to provide a streamlined experience which mitigates the Ewoks, improves the character of Han Solo and trims the more distracting elements of the film. I hope you all enjoy this fanedit! 

RELEASE INFORMATION:

-720p with 5.1 Surround Sound

CUT LIST:

[THIS WILL ALL BE USING THE THEATRICAL VERSION OF STAR WARS. NO SPECIAL EDITION ELEMENTS ARE RETAINED EXCEPT FOR THE SE MUSIC/CITY CELEBRATIONS AND VADER’s EYEBROWLESS FACE]

-Use retro fox fanfare
-removed 3PO’s captain obvious moment where he says “Oh look, it’s Captain Solo, and he’s still frozen in carbonite.” 
-remove droid screams in droid torture scene. (Lovingly borrowed audio from Ziggy's edit here)
-cut out disintegration of the past protocol droid.
-Both Jedi Rocks and Lapti Nek are very bad, so neither of those survives my edit, but I did retain the nice little musical piece that the harmonica-playing turtle was doing. This also means that Jabba’s servant doesn’t fall down the pit. This makes it more of a surprise when Luke falls into the Rancor pit himself.
-Rescored Chewie’s getting taking away with “Bounty for a Wookie”. (This idea is borrowed from the Dan Edit)
-removed Boba Fett’s nod at Boush.
-We no longer see Lando pull his mask down.
-cut out the frog burping outside of Jabba’s palace
-added force choke sfx when Luke approaches the two Gamorrean guards. (Lovingly borrowed audio from Ziggy's Edit here)

-Trim Luke and Han’s dialogue scene on the skiff so it ends on Han saying “you’re going to die here, you know”
-added music to the scene between Luke and Obi-Wan on Dagobah for improved emotional effect.

-cut Han and Lando's conversation before rebel briefing starts.
-took out Han’s line of “good luck, your gonna need it.”
-took out 3PO’s line of “exciting is hardly the word I would choose.”
-took out the entire scene of Lando and Han talking in the hangar
-removed the beat of Han worrying about the falcon

-cut out Han's "Keep your distance Chewy. But don't make it look like your trying to keep your distance. I don't know, fly casual" during shuttle sequence.
-cut out the useless exposition scene in the throne room where the Emperor tells Vader to go on the executor. It slows down the plot and is not needed.
-remove Leia and Wicket scene
-took out Han saying “I hope she’s all right”. It's far too on the nose.
-cut out Han grabbing Ewok’s spear and his “proper” line. This helps make the Ewok's seem more scary. Han easily manhandling the spear of an ewok greatly reduces any tension that might even be present.
-cut out cutesy shots of Ewoks when 3PO is being floated in the air on his chair

-cut out R2 electrocuting the Ewok.
-Threepios storytelling cuts off at “I was just getting to that”. We cut to Luke outside from there. That god awful laughably delivered line from threepio saying “we are now part of the tribe” and the following celebrations is just so damn SILLY! Watch that part again and you will giggle whether it be on the inside or the outside.
-cut out Han talking to Leia after Luke leaves. This cuts out Han acting jealous of Luke.
-I cut out ATON of the ewoks in the battle. They arrive as an early distraction, then when you see them the rest of the time, they are usually getting there asses handed to them by the Empire.
-Take out Chewie’s tarzan yell
-remove the cringeworthy “I love you—I know you” callback.
-have Vader’s head fade away when he dies. This now is consistent with Obi Wan and Yoda dissapearing when they died.

-Han and Leia’s conversation after the death star explodes, is as follows:
Han- "I’m sure Luke wasn’t on that thing when it blew."
Leia- "He wasn’t…I can feel it."
Han gives a very confused look
Leia- “He’s my brother”

The scene flows REALLY well now, and is a huge improvement over the original. In my edit, there is absolutely no trace of jealousy in Han.
-Thanks to Q2, the ending scene has the SE music (“Victory Celebration”) and it has Sebastian Shaw as Anakin. Also, the "wesa free" line has been removed. I think the SE music is more grand and emotional, I despise the “wesa free” line in the Naboo shot, and I hate hayden’s ghost, so this ending works PERFECTLY for me!
-And I'd also like to add that I have released a version with Yub Nub as the ending music instead of Victory Celebration.

AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN! IT MEANS A LOT :)

cubbyguy1 said:
I only just recently started hearing that people don't like the "I love you, I know" call back. 

These people are not to be trusted. Sorry (not sorry) darthrush.

K guys, v2 is complete. I am pretty much set on my changes and I have fixed any technical issues I had with my edits. I have updated the first post with all the cuts present in my final version. Below is a list of all the changes that were SPECIFICALLY for v2. Now onto getting this listed at the ifdb. Thanks for all the support everyone ?

v2 changes:
-When I rescored Chewie getting taken away with “Bounty for a Wookie”, I used a line from Boushh which happened to also contain the clicks of the detonator. This was a small audio issue that is in v1 but has now been fixed in v2.
-We no longer see Lando pull his mask down at all. In v1 he walks up and begins to pull it down but we don’t see his face. This made for a visually jarring cut. This is now fixed in v2.
-Trim Luke and Han’s dialogue scene on the skiff so it ends on Han saying “you’re going to die here, you know”
-cut Han and Lando’s conversation before rebel briefing starts.
-cut out Han’s “Keep your distance Chewy. But don’t make it look like your trying to keep your distance. I don’t know, fly casual” during shuttle sequence.
-cut out the useless exposition scene in the throne room where the Emperor tells Vader to go on the executor. It slows down the plot and is not needed.
-cut out R2 electrocuting the Ewok after the Ewoks decide not to eat them.
-added back in Naboo to the city celebrations but removed audio of “wesa free” thanks to the work of Q2.
-I also redacted a change where I intercut Lando and Wedge destroying the reactor with the Death Star preparing to fire. There are some minor technical issues that arise when it is edited that way so now Lando and Wedge destroy the reactor as seen in the theatrical cut. Which is still awesome nevertheless ?

I'm happy to announce that version 2.0 is completed, uploaded and ready to share. I am now hoping to get this listed here on fanedit.org. PM me if you would like a link :)

Thanks again everyone!

Edit approved by an Academy member. Thread moved. Congratulations.

Force-560x238.gif

TM2YC said:
Edit approved by an Academy member. Thread moved. Congratulations.

Force-560x238.gif

Thank you so much! This means the world to me :)

Congrats man  :) you've taken your first step to a larger world.

congrats, rushing darth!

Back
Top Bottom