• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Resident Evil: Regenerated

Yuck.

I find this especially painful as I've spent hours on end now re-framing every single shot in an edit to maximise the new aspect ratio.

I'm not a big fan of people soft-cockin' it.

don't worry, donnieX, this can happen on a first try. Now don't give up and give us Resident Evil, but this time beautiful :)

you are right Boon,
Resident Evil is 16:9 @ 1.85:1
and Resident Evil Apocalypse is 16:9 @ 2.40:1
this will take a little tweaking for sure for this to work out right.

I was wondering about the squeezed image problem. Thanks for clearing that up, Boon. Definitely didn't look right. The sound is really low too. Had to crank my volume quite high to hear the dialog normally. Not good. Noticed some really hard cuts in RE1 as well. Granted, you can't do much about it, but during the scene where the guys sister is killed by Milla and they are talking, the various cuts are a bit harsh. Good effort though. Not many would try to undertake that project. Hopefully you can make a better version, if you're still up to it. I definitely would like to see a revision 2.

I would too,so please try again,it looks like everyone would like you to make a 2nd attempt,hopefully you will.

but 1 question though,how do you handle the 2 aspect ratio's?
do you take the larger of the 2 and crop to 1.85:1?
or do you enlarge the 1.85:1 to 2.40:1?

I would think you crop the 2.40:1 to 1.85:1,I personally have never had to do this,so I am curious.

DJ

There's a real ying and yang to that one. Cropping it down to 1.85 would loose resolution, so I would probably try to matte down the 1.85 film to 2.40 instead.

Hi, I'm new here and have been waiting quite some time for this edit and, despite technical difficulties with picture and sound, I watched Regenerated in its entirety. I must admit that it was well worth it! I haven't watched the original in i don't know how long, probably the last time was when I first purchased them. This edit provided me with a viewing experience that not only replaced the originals but improved them. That being said I feel that i might offer a few other technical points that would further improve the film beyond what has already been mentioned. My list is as follows:
- I really enjoyed the scene where the hive gets infected, it is the only scene I recognized as missing. Maybe it isn't necessary but it sure was cool!
- The cut where Milla was handed the leather jacket cuts a bit abruptly to the next scene, could be a bit smoother.
- The scene that revolves around a conversation about the sisters role in the plot appears to have some nasty glitches, I wasn't sre if it was a cutting issue or a digital error.
- After this scene there is a cut to Milla and two other gentlemen barging through a door to reunite with their team. For me it suffered from an error in continuity. Where does this third fellow come from?
- The cut when Valentine and company are entering the church from outside is abrupt, again this could be smoother.
Thanks for listening. I noticed that you are now working on an edit for The Others, I hope you won't abandon this project. Apart from a few editing and tech issues you have given your community an incredible effort, please finish it for your audience, I beg of you.
In Solidarity,
Havenz

I owuld change the 2.40 to 1.85. It is the easiest. You loose a bit lefgt and right, but it should still be great.

Ah, it's like the glory days of pan & scan. I think at this point we're all rather nostalgic about not actually being able to read the yellow scroll and never seeing the sand people through the binoculars.

Then again, the original VHS release was crooked and had the credits panned too far to the left to be centered...

I just finished my cursory speed watch of the edit i.e fast forwarded most of it, just watching to see what was left in and what was cut - concentrating on the transitions and flow (I know both movies pretty well)

I don't agree with Boon estimation that this is unwatchable, I thought it was ok, the ratio "squashing" wasn't as bad as all that. I had a larger issue with the fact that the compression quality of Apocalypse was of a higher degree than with the original film and the picture didn't look as good.

The editi itself is very good, I liked the flow of the story and I think theres little i'd change about the cuts made to RE:1 (possibly an inclusion of the Alien homage shot just after Kaplan doesn't shoot himself, I felt the cut from there to the room where Spence gets total Recall was too hard)

My crib really would be that the beginning of the second film was left too intact. I'd have considered only leaving in a few moments to establish that something went wrong, the whole Racoon city with folk watering their lawns was too distracting. Or maybe sticking with the original film's ending (using the footage used in 2) and then going straight to the blockade scene. I think the Jill valentine police station scenes were unnecessary.

Other than that I really liked this edit and would like to see a higher quality version with better picture standard maybe a (dual layer dvd to allow the extra picture quality)

Just some thoughts, I'll watch it properly later over the weekend.

There's not a hell of a lot going on in the peripheral fields of vision on RE2 anyway. Makes me wonder why they bothered with the new aspect ratio.

Then again, I also wonder why they bothered with a great zombie training camp only to blur almost every shot of a zombie in 2... heh.

also the program sony vegas will let you matte the 1:85:1 to 2:40:1, if that's the route you want to go.

it's what I used to get the deleted scenes of pirates of the carribbean to match up with the rest of the movie. most people didn't even notice I did that, so it seems to work well.

I watched v.2 the other night and it turned out really good, The only thing that I knew was missing was Alice waking up at the end of RE, but other than that nothing else was missed at all.

There may have been one glitch, but when I tried to duplicate it it didn't happen again. So, I really couldn't tell if it was the disc or me bumping a button on my DVD remote. Other than that I didn't notice any glitches or sound problems.

What happened to the other topic thread? Oh well, as mentioned in that one, I highly enjoyed your edit, Donnie. Awesome job. The transition between the films is perfect, though I wish you had left in Milla's nude scene :) and the pull back from the ending of all the destruction around her in the street. You could have then easily transitioned to her walking forward to snag the shotgun from the police car. Other than that, A+ job. Love the menu too. Oh, I made a disc label for the movie as well. As soon as Boon gets back to me e-mail wise, I'll send it his way. Used his cover art, moved the titles around, added a few small things, etc. Looks awesome on the DVD.

I haven't got much feedback on this, just wondering what you all thought.....

DonnieX said:
I haven't got much feedback on this, just wondering what you all thought.....

I have yet to see it. However, a friend of mine watched it and was very impressed. He thought everything was well put together and was seamless. I will download this soon and give you my personal thoughts. I didn't care much for the original films because they strayed too much from the game. I did like the first movie alot more than the second. The editing of the beginning of the second film almost had me leave the theatre.

Anyway, I'm how your edit will do. I'll let you know soon.

Back
Top Bottom