• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Red Dwarf X Confirmed!

rimmerargh2.jpg

Stirmaster:-D Excellent episode but did feel the lack of Holly.

I thought the episode was OK, not terrible, but not great by any means. I had my expectations pretty low after Back to Earth, which was quite poor, but still better than season 8.

I was happy they went with models over CG, it looks so much better. It was ridiculous when they attempted to "remaster" the early seasons and replace the great models with really bad CG.

I wonder why Kryten has bags under his eyes as part of the prosthetic? It looks odd.

i'd give the episode a solid 6.5 it was a good return to forum after series 7,8 and the back to earth specials. though i don't like krytens new look and the overall look and feel to the episode i found a little off, though on the plus side it was great to have the cat back to how he was in the earlier series

booshman said:
It was ridiculous when they attempted to "remaster" the early seasons and replace the great models with really bad CG.

I have been thinking about buying seasons 1-6 and was pretty much ready to do so until I read your comment. Should I be wary of what I order? I just want DVD's of the original shows.

^ They changed some of the effects ships an stuff for cg and changed the way it looks, colours and lighting and also cut a few scenes and dialogue so if i were you would go for the original if you want the real Dwarf.

Metrostar said:
I have been thinking about buying seasons 1-6 and was pretty much ready to do so until I read your comment. Should I be wary of what I order? I just want DVD's of the original shows.

If you get the set with all the series in, you'll get the original versions. Same if you buy the individual series DVD's. The remasters are only for series I-III, and come in the "Bodysnatchers Collection". I'd avoid this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Dwarf-Bodysnatcher-Collection-Remastered/dp/B000VA3J34

Here's a vid with some info on the remasters.

I second this. I've only got the second series on dvd, and the models do look so much better than any crappy BBC CGI (and we know how crap it actually is. Look at its track record with special effects. Blakes 7, anyone?).

To be fair they did admit that the technology wasn't up to the vision they had for the remastered shows and Blakes 7 went out in '78 so you gotta cut them a bit of slack.

Thanks for the video link booshman I'm really glad I didn't shell out for the Bodysnatchers collection now.

I do agree that actually watching Blakes 7 is utterly painful these days.

Yeah. Especially when you can tell they've painted over a Cadbury's biscuit box inner for a control panel and a fairy washing up liquid bottle as a throttle stick, it kinda sucks the fun out of it.

Indeed, RD pulled a similar trick using C64's. (check the holo ship episode)

But that's allowed A) because it's a commodore 64, and B) its red dwarf.

nOmArch said:
To be fair they did admit that the technology wasn't up to the vision they had for the remastered shows and Blakes 7 went out in '78 so you gotta cut them a bit of slack.

Thanks for the video link booshman I'm really glad I didn't shell out for the Bodysnatchers collection now.

I think the one thing that gives them a pass, and separates them from others who tinker with beloved properties in the quest to make them look up to date, is that they never made the original versions unavailable. ;-)

nOmArch said:
Indeed, RD pulled a similar trick using C64's. (check the holo ship episode)

Sorry my bad it was Amigas; A2000 keyboards to be specific.

Last nights was funnier than the week before. The Lister/Dad thing was pretty funny. The ship's new computer 'fixing' level 4 as Rimmer would have done. I think though, if I was looking for series 3/4/5 revisited, I'm not going to see it. The trailer for next week looked good though.

"Jesus."

"Yes?"

Ah I loved last night's ep. Lister's "tough love" was hilarious and led to a very clever resolution later on. Also thought the Chinese Whispers joke peaked at "Chinese Nickers have Braces"

Back
Top Bottom