• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Red Dwarf X Confirmed!

wow never fought this would happen, hope that this will be the last series (it has been in decline for some time) and that it can go out in style

If it picks up again then why not have more series? What we really need is Rob Grant back on board.

If it picks up again then why not have more series? What we really need is Rob Grant back on board.
i always felt the problem was getting the cast back together as they've all had success away from red dwarf. i think it's a shame the BBC dosen't want anything to do with this comedy. red dwarf pulled 10million viewers in it's hey day as well as being a cult success in america. they've been proven wrong that there's an audience for Doctor Who after years of not wanting to make any new episodes. while i'm happy i just hope it can go out on high note dave isn't the best channel and yes rob grant back on board would be great

Apart from Chris Barrie getting bored of the show during Series 7 I think since then the cast has always been keen to do more shows. I mean they're mates in real life and clearly love doing it so I've never doubted the actors desire.

It's already been mentioned and I agree completely, I do wish Rob Grant was back on board, even though I felt Back To Earth was a slight improvement on 7 & 8 it can't be a coincidence that the three weakest series have been the ones without Rob Grant. I also hope they perform in front of a live studio audience again. These guys are live performers and have always fed off audience reactions and I think it just gives the show that extra magic.

As for the BBC, they've lost the plot when it comes to sitcoms. They just rely on panel shows and stand up comedy now, it pathetic. I remember when I was a teenager I was spoilt for choice when it came to sitcoms:

Men Behaving Badly, The Vicar of Dibley, Absolutely Fabulous, The Royle Family, Alan Partridge, One Foot in the Grave, Only Fool & Horses, Bottom, Red Dwarf etc

Now what do we get from the BBC?

My Bloody Family! :frusty:

Which, thank god is now coming to an end. Best thing comedy-wise that's been on the BBC lately is Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle which is essentially stand up, but very good stand up none the less.

plus he hates Michael McIntyre which is always a bonus :)

Didn't BBC also air Psychoville? I haven't watched the halloween special or the second series but I thought the first was good for the most part.

Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series (though anyone who thinks Series III isn't pretty huge-looking needs to rewatch their DVD).

Amen to that.

There's always a possibility that Holly might return, but how and played by whom is up for grabs. And Talkie Toaster could always make a reappearance, too.

Hmm, don't bother if there's nothing for them to say.
Hopes of new model effects - rather than CGI spaceships - were high, but dependant on budget. Similarly, Doug and the cast hope to shoot the series in front of a live studio audience... they just need to make it feasible, and convince the channel!

Again, Amen.

Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series (though anyone who thinks Series III isn't pretty huge-looking needs to rewatch their DVD).
Well fingers crossed for that. It's when the makers started referring to Dwarf as a Comedy Drama in Series 7 it started to go wrong. More often than not Comedy Drama is just another way of saying Not A Funny Comedy.

There's always a possibility that Holly might return, but how and played by whom is up for grabs. And Talkie Toaster could always make a reappearance, too.
Don't care about Talkie Toaster, not an essential character, hell he wasn't even a regular character. As for Holly, the writers had run out of things for him to say by the end of Series 4. And as the writing has been pretty thin since Series 7 it's probably best not to spread it even thinner with a redundant character.

Hopes of new model effects - rather than CGI spaceships - were high, but dependant on budget. Similarly, Doug and the cast hope to shoot the series in front of a live studio audience... they just need to make it feasible, and convince the channel!
Definitely hope this happens above all. Ever since The Office TV Execs have got this idea into their heads that all proper comedies need to be shot like a Documentary or a like a Drama. The fact that junk shows like My Family kept a studio audience played even more into that myth. I mean I don't think the Kryton/Lister Vacuum Cleaner Sex Scene in Polymorph would of been half as funny as it was if it wasn't for the audience pissing themselves laughing! Bring back the audience!

FatherMerrin said:
Don't care about Talkie Toaster, not an essential character, hell he wasn't even a regular character. As for Holly, the writers had run out of things for him to say by the end of Series 4. And as the writing has been pretty thin since Series 7 it's probably best not to spread it even thinner with a redundant character.

Oh man, don't talk about Holly like that, he's the man. Though I understand people feeling he's redundant, but he's the main reason why I enjoy season 8 at all.

Holly redundant? barely, how about Peterson and Chen, Lister's muchly missed best friends from early on given a maturity phase to write them out, instead we have some other not quite as good characters like the ginger bloke from Eastenders.

But they were side characters. Holly was a main character that got reduced down to practically nothing. Series 8 was painful.

And the trailer for Series X has arrived!

I'm fairly psyched - it looks low budget and model driven like the early series were. No CGI???? :D

I'm going to be honest, I haven't watched much Red Dwarf (only series 2), and what I saw, I laughed at. Watching this, it did make me laugh like series 2 did, so I'll be Tivo-ing it when it comes on :D

That was sublime, got a real series 3/4 vibe form the camaraderie.

So New episode tonight on Dave. 21:00 U.K. Its called Trojan!
Cant wait.

And Rimmer's brother is in it!!!

fatfreddyscat05106.png

Back
Top Bottom