• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

(Quien Es Mas Macho) The Alien Extended Edits

Which extended cut of Alien rulz?

• Alien Appendix 2: The Virtual Workprint by Meedermow

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alien: The Hybrid Cut by Leonenut

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Alien - Extended Edition by Mr. E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alien - Extended Edition 2 by Samrosenbaum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
I disagree robthom, the Virtual Workprint uses the original sequence and the klaxon can still be heard.

I'd have to pull out my A1 extras disc to check the raw scene directly, but I don't think it was added by the editor.

Did Leonenut remove the klaxon or can it actually still be heard even though the distruct hasn't been set yet?

The raw scene didn't have it. It was added to match the DC scenes utilized in the composite.

rijir said:
With what they did with Blade Runner I would love to see the same treatment for Alien by itself.

The Blade Runner Set is still incomplete. It has the Workprint but not the Denver/Dallas Workprint.

Really? I thought the Virtual Workprint used pre-director's cut content. Where did he get the audio from?

What about LeoneNut's edit? Can the klaxon be heard?

The klaxon noise was largely removed from my edit, you can still hear it a little bit, but the music drowns it out.

Cheers. Will definitely be snatching that next.

DoctorM said:
Really? I thought the Virtual Workprint used pre-director's cut content. Where did he get the audio from?

It is a mix of both.

Sigh.
I cannot find an edit I like.

I'm leaning on the theatrical cut for now, maybe I'll add that as an option in the poll.

I don't like that the virtual workprint has some really rough scenes (with off stage audio still heard). Also, too much has been added back for my taste. It really makes the movie drag.

I just finished d/l'ing Leonenut's version and jumped right to the cocoon scene, since the relocation of which had me most curious.
The new location doesn't seem to be an improvement in any way from the Director's cut that I can see. In fact in context it moves less smoothly.

Most importantly and with apologies, I just don't like how it was added.
Instead of a straight cut to keep the action tight, there is a slow and complete fade to black before it (looks like a commercial break is coming). I'm probably wrong but it may be the only fade out in the entire movie.

I'm now considering re-editing Leonenut's version to move the cocoon scene back to it's DC location. (For personal use only.)
Outside of that, everything else he has added is most ideal in my mind.

DoctorM said:
I don't like that the virtual workprint has some really rough scenes (with off stage audio still heard). Also, too much has been added back for my taste.

That's kind of the point of the edit. It is like a workprint.

...And not that there's anything wrong with that.
It's interesting in being ubercomplete in a workprinty way...
I just don't find it to be a smooth experience worth watching on a casual movie viewing basis.

That said, it's well done and has real geek cred.

Well I finally got to see the VRP (thanks again R), and I enjoyed it very much. I would have done a few things differently, but it is an awesome achievement and a lot of fun. The rough patches didn't bother me at all, and some of the scenes were awesome to see fully expanded. But I think it could be improved on even further.
I don't really care about any pacing issues since we've got ridleys versions for that. It was very much what I was expecting and hoping it would be; a version were I can sit down and study every available frame of a piece of art that I've never grown tired of, while following the storyline instead of navigating through menus on my extras disk.
Not at all a replacement for the original, just an awesome companion piece.

Still trying to see Leonenutts version.
(anyone care to torrent?)
:)

I don't have the bandwidth to do a torrent of a DVD9 myself, but if someone puts it up I can help seed.

Is it a 9? Well hopefully a shrunk version shows up down the road. Darn I miss demonoid.

I ran my copy through OPV on DVD-Rebuilder. I got a Q value of 8.
You'd need to be crazy picky to see a difference.

Mind you that was before deciding to re-edit it.

Edit 1:
First post has been updated with summaries of each edit.

If I got anything wrong, let me know and I'll edit it again.

Edit 2:
For those who care, I've thrown my vote to the Hybrid Cut.
I don't care for the location or method of the cocoon scene being moved, but LeoneNut wasn't the first to do it that way.

By and large though, it's the best quality release, and most ideal version (to me). He has removed what I thought wasn't right in the Director's cut and added back some stuff that is really nice.
The original Fox logo was pitch perfect and the restored alien transmission audio was creepy and well mixed.

Edit 3:
That said I have made myself a Hybrid Cut Alternate Version with the Cocoon scene in its original location. (3 cuts for the do it yourself at home types out there.)
As I won't be releasing that, I consider LeoneNut's to be the best of the available versions.

Sitting through Alien (yet again) today I was struck by 2 things.

The first was when Kane (John Hurt) is looking at the eggs on the alien spacecraft, the director's cut adds him holding a gun.

Sure they MENTION earlier that they should take weapons with them, but prior to this he's carrying a light in that hand. Those 20 seconds are pretty much the only time in the entire movie we see anyone with a gun.
Forget the cattle prod give me the damn submachine gun.
It seems sort of wrong to me now.

Also... and I don't know why I never 'got it' before, but the cocoon scene was suppose to depict the crew MUTATING into eggs.
I just never noticed that they were mutating, I thought they were just very covered in alien goop. (Food for later? Eggs to be laid later?)
Now watching it, I can SEE that that's what they intended.

Which is a problem, since it's discontinuous with the rest of the series of films... besides, it really does slow an otherwise fast and tense section of the film.

I MAY go back and cut those 2 scenes instead from the copy I keep, or stick with the frickin' theatrical cut.

The more I study this film, the more I think Ridley Scott got it right the first time.

No doubt Ridley got it right. But the cocoon scene, even slowing the pace, is damn creepy.

And actually I believe Bret was turning into an egg and maybe Dallas was to be "hugged".

Just my guess.

Yeah, I'm starting to consider some subtle editing (or possibly some After Effects work) on that scene to remove the mutating look.

Edit: Yeah, you're right. It looks like Dallas is cocooned with an egg in front of him.
Brett on the other hand is freaky and would need to be edited out, or replaced with an FX shot with him looking more normal.

I just don't know if this is worth it.
Is there any interest from other people in seeing something like that?
(I'd still remove the gun scene mentioned above.)

Edit 2: So thinking about it, although I could replace the mutated Brett with a more human looking Brett, it would be cooler to show his egg open and a face hugger on him. It would give a sense of impending escalation. (Could even add a little squealing noise as the face hugger died a fiery death.)

And then it struck me: there is no queen on board, so there CAN'T be eggs. The only way that scene would work would be to replace Brett with human looking Brett AND using CG to remove both his and Dallas' egg.

You know, I never liked the scene that much.

I was just reading on Imdb about deleted scenes on the laserdisc.

Part of a scene that involves Parker, Ripley and Lambert trying to flush the alien out of the air lock. As they are about to succeed, an alarm is triggered and the alien rushes out of the airlock (getting its tail caught in the closing door, and spilling acid that causes a hull breach). Parker falls unconciously to the floor, Ripley does the same and Lambert and Ash come to their rescue. Ripley vocalizes her suspicions about Ash by accusing him of setting the alarm off.

I don't think that has made it to any official DVD, DVD extras or fan edit, has hit?

I believe it has. The only thing is that none of the actual airlock footage was filmed. Just the remote footage of Lambert and Ripley talking to Parker over the loudspeaker. Bummer as it would have been an interesting scene.

Well, I've given up on doing my own version.
The more I look, the more the theatrical edition seems right.

The Kane holding a gun sort of takes away from the 'few weapons' feel of the movie. You wonder why they didn't arm themselves with them.

The blood dripping on Parker scene causes a continuity error. He's drenched in Brett's blood, but in the next scene he's wearing the same clothes and they're clean.

Finally the cocoon scene just doesn't work, there can't be eggs without a queen, and the people shouldn't be mutating.

The way I see it, the only way to put the cocoon scene in would be do hit it hard with After Effects... and there is too much camera movement for me to ever go near it.

So when all is said and done there's maybe 3 deleted scenes that don't screw up the film... hardly worth bothering with.

It's either LeoneNut's cut or Theatrical... and I think 90% of the time I'll watch theatrical.

Any ambitions CG competent person want to tackle this?

Back
Top Bottom